Lower cost carpet options???

-
That's all I needed to know - the last stuff I tried smelled awful when it heated up. Off to Lowe's...

Also know it also sticks very well without having to spray it down, and You don't need to do the whole floor to reap the acoustic benefits, somewhere between 20 and 30% coverage is all you need. I see too many folks go overboard.

Are these "Trim Parts Custom Molded" Carpets? No personal experience but if you google it you will see complaints that they don't fit properly. ACC is better options apparently (plus they also do matching material by the yard). Any other opinions on these?

That's funny I've heard just the opposite? :D I had an ACC carpet in my Sport Fury many years ago and it was just OK, and do have a Trim Parts carpet now and it looks to be nicely made although I haven't install it yet so I can't say anything about the fitment. As far as the cost of these molded carpets go I think it's pretty reasonable considering what's involved in making them. Not only are they molded with the correct loop carpet to fit all the slopes and valleys of your cars floor but they have the correct padding underneath a nice heal pad molded into them not to mention a grommet for the Dimmer\\:D/ All the edges are trimmed to properly go around what they need to as well. So if you look at you could do for $40 and a whole lot of time and have something that works Just OK, you could spring for $140 and have it installed right in much less time.

Don't get me wrong I'm not made of money and l love dong things on the cheap, but I also want things done right and for difference in cost and more important (to me) time I'd cut corners elsewhere.

As far as the matting from Home Depot what department is located in roofing insulation or what?

Insulation is from hardware store. $15 for the roll its foiled on both sides and double bubbled in middle. Went down first with spray on adhesive. Duct taped the seams. Carpet was $10 its automotive speaker type carpet. Hope this gives you an idea.

Attachments

• insulation.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 220
  • insulation2.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 235
  • carpet.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 220
  • carpet2.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 244
Also know it also sticks very well without having to spray it down, and You don't need to do the whole floor to reap the acoustic benefits, somewhere between 20 and 30% coverage is all you need. I see too many folks go overboard.

So I could get away with the lower parts of the floor and then cover out the rest with carpet? I kind of want to just coat the entire floor. I found the automotive carpeting but they only had one roll in stock. I'm assuming it takes two or three? And do you lay it out like factory across the body, or run it bumper to buper and seam the Center. I don't have a bemh on my dart,and no console yet, but will make one.

If you just want to cut noise, and not get fancy, deaden the main floors under the seat and under the feet, the little bit of heat from exhaust should pretty much be taken care of also.

If I was to lay carpet this way, I'd lay out the carpet 90 degrees to the hump either butted or overlap maybe 1" depending on how it came out. It may take a little more carpet, but it should lay much better, may be able to hide a seam or two, and it won't go sliding on you. Hey that rhymed! :)

Good luck, and let us know how it works out, and the cost of materials, please take some pics!

Getting back to the original topic, you might try Newark Auto Products at 800-275-4695. They're located in N.J.; have patterns for every car and truck back to the '20s, and will send you carpet samples. Note: If you don't like the samples they send you, inquire about upgrading the carpet.

I used three to cover my whole floor and under the back seat lol I went a little overboard but you can always return ones you don't need

So I bought 2 rolls of carpet for the interior, and one for the trunk. It seems like it will be just enough. I also had some left over cheap pealing sealent (not peelnseel) that I lain down in the trunk already. I am worried to try on the interior and want to go for something more flat, like the trunk first - then I will go full steam into the interior. I'll be able to see how well it sticks and everything and see what all to look for. I've used this carpeting in the past for custom audio enclosures and boats, but never did a car floor with it. Looks straightforward enough...

had enough time the other night to lay the sticky stuff down in the trunk. Did I mention I drive this car every day? Not very much time to work, but there is some.

CAM00349_zps0028d9f5.jpg

Was going to clear the trunk and get a better shot, but it's dark out now. I have to go through that box still. Original owner left it - so far found a window crank, a new interior door handle, and exterior, some 1970's road flares. and a few locking gas caps...:blob:

Make sure your car doesn't leak any water before installing any type of mat under your carpet. That stuff will trap moisture and rust your floor boards out.

Make sure your car doesn't leak any water before installing any type of mat under your carpet. That stuff will trap moisture and rust your floor boards out.

Noted. Found a leak when I washed it at the passenger Window. The seal was cracked and worn. Repaired the seal for now. Sprayed it with a hose to see if it would leak again. Nothing so far but I am scouring the car. I thought the trunk leaked, but turned out it was standing water left over from a broken water bottle I had in there.

-
Back