Lower cost carpet options???

-

Elwood67

Reaction score
I just priced carpet for my 67' Dart for the first time in quite a while,(cuz' I still haven't permanently patched my floorboard). The last time I checked JC Whitney the cheap stuff was $75 + S&H, now they want $133!!! What the heck? Legendary etc. seemed to be about $150 or so when I first looked too. Why the spike in price?

Anyway, I purchased a nice 5x10 roll of softer Blue Indoor/Outdoor carpet for another project for $15. I started thinking, would I be crazy to try to glue this down over hump etc and try to make it work in the Dart? It's a driver, not a show car and I am at the limit of what I want or can put into this particular car, $$$ wise.

Suppose I should look around for some used carpet. Any that's blue or black would be my preference.
Thanks for the advice

--Elwood67

I just priced carpet for my 67' Dart for the first time in quite a while,(cuz' I still haven't permanently patched my floorboard). The last time I checked JC Whitney the cheap stuff was $75 + S&H, now they want $133!!! What the heck? Legendary etc. seemed to be about $150 or so when I first looked too. Why the spike in price?

Anyway, I purchased a nice 5x10 roll of softer Blue Indoor/Outdoor carpet for another project for $15. I started thinking, would I be crazy to try to glue this down over hump etc and try to make it work in the Dart? It's a driver, not a show car and I am at the limit of what I want or can put into this particular car, $$$ wise.

Suppose I should look around for some used carpet. Any that's blue or black would be my preference.
Thanks for the advice

--Elwood67

Use the cheap stuff for now. I cut it to fit, then use a hook needle and clear fishing line to sew it back together. I have sewn a lot of loop carpet and it looks pretty good.

i would think the hot melt carpet seam tape could be used.

EBay had a listing, at least for four doors, for my 68 dart. It was $140 with free shipping custom cut and molded with the heel guards in place. Two pieces. Was curious if anyone else used this. Seems rather cheap for pre mold and it comes in literally any color under the sun.

It is possible to cut, shape and glue and get good results. My dad and I did just that with the Valiant back in 1985 - no choice as molded carpet was unavailable then and we could not afford a "classic car" interior trimmer. The carpet is still there and looking good 28 years later but the car is not a daily driver. I am planning a molded carpet sometime in the next couple of years though!

EBay had a listing, at least for four doors, for my 68 dart. It was $140 with free shipping custom cut and molded with the heel guards in place. Two pieces. Was curious if anyone else used this. Seems rather cheap for pre mold and it comes in literally any color under the sun.

Are these "Trim Parts Custom Molded" Carpets? No personal experience but if you google it you will see complaints that they don't fit properly. ACC is better options apparently (plus they also do matching material by the yard). Any other opinions on these?

A shame because international shipping is very reasonable on ebay for these. Last time I priced my "dream" molded carpet the shipping was already dearer than the carpet itself :-(

The moulded carpet with insulation on it doesn't roll up very well and is quite heavy, thus the high cost of shipping. I put Trim Parts carpet in my 67. No complaints.
If you do decide to use some other floor covering... please ensure its fit and secure attachment near the accelarator pedal.

Post a add "Carpet wanted".I would rather have nice used carpet than indoor out door carpet.Often times someone here selling new carpet they never used also.

JIm

Are these "Trim Parts Custom Molded" Carpets? No personal experience but if you google it you will see complaints that they don't fit properly. ACC is better options apparently (plus they also do matching material by the yard). Any other opinions on these?

:-(

I've been on a lot of forums for cars, but I'm not sure what this one's policy is for posting links to ebay. Hopefully it's alright because I'm not promoting this, but this is what I'm refering to:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-1976-D...r:1968|Model:Dart&hash=item4ac15c009e&vxp=mtr

It states it comes from Ohio.

So if this is not good, I'm better off rolling out my own carpet?

I used walmarts general automotive carpet and homedepos dynomate like stuff did my whole car for 40 bucks

Its not the insta roof stuff the guy there showed it to me I brought dynomat with me looked exactly the same

Its not the insta roof stuff the guy there showed it to me I brought dynomat with me looked exactly the same

So wait, if it's not bituthane roofing, what is it? I need to go look at it. Is it adhesive or more like oldschool boat fireproof insulation? I tried the instant roofing stuff in a car due to someone suggesting that it worked. Just made the car smell like black-jak

It's called peal and seal. I put it in my car too. Very similar to all the name brands. Does not have any odor at all. Even in NewMexico. Sticks very well.

The moulded carpet with insulation on it doesn't roll up very well and is quite heavy, thus the high cost of shipping. I put Trim Parts carpet in my 67. No complaints.
If you do decide to use some other floor covering... please ensure its fit and secure attachment near the accelarator pedal.

Yeah, I don't want to go all Toyota Camry like with a stuck pedal.
What I have isn't quite traditional indoor/outdoor stiff carpet, it's about an 1/8 inch thick and fairly soft.
I would still really need some kind of pad or underlayment beneath. I mean, it's pretty loud without it. I have a cousin that has loads of new house carpet pad???
Anybody ever use traditional undercoat to seal up a floor? I see the soundproof stuff in a can and and sound deadening mats but they are pricey.
Thanks for all the help guys.....

Several have said Home Depot has a peel and stick material that looks just like hush-mat and works good. Gluing carpet to it might be a challenge.

So just the peel n stick with automotive carpet glued over it?
My floor has some non factory "bumps" so I'm thinking of a DIY carpet as well.

-
Back