Status
Not open for further replies.

burdar

Owen's Dad
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Contact seller
I'd like to use a hard top stainless piece on my convertible instead of using a rubber/plastic lock strip. I'm looking for the stainless trim along the bottom of the windshield for a 68 Dart. I'd like to pick this up at the Mopar Nats so it doesn't have to be shipped. Let me know what you have and what you are asking for it. Thanks

That isn't easily done. The original plastic insert also serves as a lock for the gasket.
To get the piece of stainless to lay over the gasket correctly you'll need to rework or replace that portion of the gasket so it and a lock fits under the stainless.
On a more positive note, I'm willing to cut and piece the verts rubber gasket. A section of a self locking gasket is my choice. My only remaining question is in designing those joins. Straight cuts and a chemical bond would be too easy. So...
Interlocking like pieces of a picture puzzle ? Small holes drilled into straight cuts for barbed or threaded plastic inserts ? Rubber inserts with more chemical bond ?
I hope you'll figure out what works best and tell me LOL
Good luck with it.

I've heard of other people doing this mod but I have no idea what it involves. I haven't had much luck searching for posts on this. Do you use the convertible windshield gasket or can you use a hard top gasket? I assumed I would have to add pins along the bottom of the windshield for trim clips so the stainless could be attached. The car is completely torn apart. Now is the time to do it. How does the hard top glass attach to the gasket? How does the windshield frame differ from the convertible?

i have that stainless piece

PM sent. Would like to find one that can be delivered to the Nats so I can see it in person. I've been burned before.

Others ( like us ) want to do it. I'm not so sure it has been done with great success.
That piece of trim might fly off, chip paint, wind whistle, D. all the above LOL Just never know.
The hard top gasket will not work. The vert gasket is different at A pillars and the top, as well as the bottom. That's why I'm studying on replacing the bottom portion of the OEM vert gasket with a portion of hard top gasket.

At the Nats in a couple weeks, I'm going to see if there are any Dart projects with the glass out. I'd like to see what the difference is in the windshield frames.

At Carlisle, I paid attention to the converts and wasn't all that impressed with the look of the lock strips. It just doesn't look finished correctly.

So the gaskets are different but the glass is the same between a convertible and a hard top?

At the Nats in a couple weeks, I'm going to see if there are any Dart projects with the glass out. I'd like to see what the difference is in the windshield frames.

At Carlisle, I paid attention to the converts and wasn't all that impressed with the look of the lock strips. It just doesn't look finished correctly.

So the gaskets are different but the glass is the same between a convertible and a hard top?
The glass is the only piece that is the same.
The metal windshield frames are shaped differently. Strength/rigidity, trim fitment inside and out are the reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back