Lowered?

-

64drtGt

Slant Six Lunatic
Reaction score
I am thinking about lowering my 64 GT to see if I like it does anyone else have a lowered dart or pics of one? If I do I will prolly drop the back 3 inches and the front 3-4 inches.

Is this low enough for ya?

Attachments

• Picture 127.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 545
You can flip the front leaf spring hanger and get about 3". In my opinion, that is really low for an a-body. My wagon has 1 5/8" blocks (cut down 2" blocks) and torsion bars turned down to match.

Attachments

• DSC02496.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 529
  • DSC02494.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 553
How much did you lower that? How did you lower it? Sad thing is it looks alot like mine allready does with worn out springs.
The back is a good 3" lower, I added a leaf to to the rear springs, then had them de-arched 2". Then moved the rear spring hanger up into the middle of the frame rail. The front is an Alterkation which is adjustable, it will be another inch or so lower when all the weight is on the car. Remember , the rear tires ar 27" tall, not the 23" that came on it.

My '65 front is dropped about 2 inches with the torsion bars turned down a tad and smaller profile tires and I cant even get my floor jack under the K member. Header clearance issues is gonna make me raise it back up to stock height but with a smaller front tire height its gonna look a little weird, but then again, exposed white headers behind a 3.5 inch Centerline runner is kinda cool looking too.....

You can flip the front leaf spring hanger and get about 3". In my opinion, that is really low for an a-body. My wagon has 1 5/8" blocks (cut down 2" blocks) and torsion bars turned down to match.

Hey Commando '66, that's a sharp looking wagon you've got there. What size are the wheels and tires you're running?

n649759041_2010621_9143.jpg

my 67 VC valiant, down prolly 2" at the back and same at the front.
yeah, couldn't get the trolley jack under the K frame.

n649759041_2010622_9527.jpg

cheers Grinder - she was a beauty. heaps better than the V8 wagon i had after her.
so now i'm looking to build another, except aiming for the historic drags!

(mmmm hot 6 historic drags mmmmmm)

lowered 2" in the back w/lowering blks, dropped torsions to match.

Attachments

• i16893.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 377
  • i16889.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 357
  • i16901.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 345
  • i16836.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 349
If your rear torsion bar mounting point is rusty, and your good with a plasma cutter and wire feed welder, cut the torsion bar mount loose, position the ride height where you want it, and weld the mount back in place.
After cleaning all the undercoating, and cleaning out the dirt on the torsion bar / trans cross member on my 69 Valiant, the torsion bars rotated,tearing the mounts loose and the car fell on the bump stops. The cross member was so rusty, only the packed dirt in the sub frame kept everything together.
So noticing the "lowered stance" I welded the torsion bar mounts "as-is" into the new 1/16 steel plate sub-frame I made. Now a few turns with the wrench raised the car off the bump stops, and the torsion bars were stiffer and the front end lower than stock. It worked out very nicely. Just make sure you take very accurate measurements in you fabricating.

-
Back