Lug nuts/wheel studs for old slotted mags

-

MopaR&D

Nerd Member
Reaction score
I've now collected a full set of four 15x7" Ansen-style slotted mags (two are U.S. Indy, two are no-name from Japan...?) with 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern. Trouble is when mocking up on my '73-up front disc brake hubs the wheel studs are too short. How difficult is it to replace front wheels studs on the later disc brakes?

Also I'm totally lost on what type of lug nuts to use, the bolt holes on the wheels are straight and at least a half-inch deep opposed to my old steel wheels with the shallow concave lug-mating surfaces on each hole.

From what i understand the lugnuts are called "shank" for the thick aluminum wheels. As apposed to acorn lug nuts. As said you shouldn't need to change lug studs. just grab some shank style lug nuts and you should be good to go.

just research before you buy, i have four sets, all have same threads, every set has a different size shank, some have a little tapper on the back side of the flare. some shanks are thick and some shanks vary thin. cragars and slots take diferent style lugs but look vary similar and could be aesily mistaken.

Thanks guys, that's good to know about the wheel studs. However one pair of wheels has the lug holes 'recessed' and would definitely need different-length lug nuts than the other pair. I'll bring a wheel from the two pairs to O'Reillys and get a set when I'm getting ready to put the wheels on the car.

-
Back