"Lumpy" Steering on 1970 Dart Swinger

-

1970Dart198

Reaction score
Hello,

It has been a while since I last posted anything on Forabodiesonly! A lot has happened in the meantime.

I last year, I dropped the steering column to replace the ignition switch and its wiring harness. When I reassembled the column, and test drove the Dart, I found that the steering was "lumpy" when I was turning the wheel to and from center. When the tires are straight, and I turn to one direction, the steering is smooth and easy, but if I return from one side to the center I feel resistance in the steering wheel. Its not super heavy, but it takes noticeable effort to turn through the "Lump"

When I dropped the steering column and took it all apart to replace the switch, I could feel the steering shaft pull in and out, but it was captive. Does this affect anything?

My car has the 198 Slant Six and has a power steering system. I noticed yesterday that I had a small power steering fluid leak from the box, running down the Pitman Arm.

Thanks!

1970Dart198

Was the problem not there before servicing the signal switch? I can't imagine replacing the signal switch or a little lengthwise movement in the column shaft causing this. Then again, As the steering gear wears the upper shaft will develop lengthwise movement. It will move in and out through the seal with rotation direction change. So if the shaft is moving out and if the column was bolted back low in its slotted mounts, maybe something is jambing up. The box coupling has a little movement in it by design but you might be bolted tight to the bottom of that. I'm just guessing there is more wrong that just a failed lower seal.

You may have jammed the column down to far and the reaction rod is having a hard time. Loosen all the column retaining fasteners, and the floor-plate. Then gently tug the column to the top. Then slide it down . Then find the center somewhere and secure it there. There are three bolts that secure the column. Sometimes the lowermost one has to be shimmed so as to keep the center shaft aligned with the box.The floor-plate is tightened last.
Then make sure the wheels are pointing straight ahead when the steering wheel is centered half-way between the locks. I assume you found the master spline on the top of the steering shaft?
If that doesn't solve it, you will need to get the front wheels in the air and check the steering box for self-steering, and if you have any, you will need to center the control valve.
If centering the valve does not fix it, or if you are unable to stop the steering from self steering then the box is bad.
There is a sector-shaft adjustment in the box, and it is easy to tighten it too much. And if it is done without first centering the steering box from lock to lock, then you will get the symptom you describe. This is the number one go-to actually to correct this symptom. You didn't by any chance mess with that adjuster did you?lol.

-
Back