Lunati cam alternative

-

Jax

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Have been waiting 2 months for shipping of my solid roller cam, and today I was informed that I should wait 3 more weeks for an estimated ETA....... I had enough on Lunati and will go a different route here.

This was the intended cam..
Drag Race Solid Roller Cam - Chrysler 273-360 288/296

Which other brands do you recommend that I can consider and that have as close as possible the same cam specifications.

They probably don’t have the correct core(blank) on hand to grind it.

Call some other cam companies and start the conversation by asking if they have a suitable core on hand.

They probably don’t have the correct core(blank) on hand to grind it.

Call some other cam companies and start the conversation by asking if they have a suitable core on hand.
Besides COMP cams ( which are the same company ) which other brands can I consider to contact or MOPAR stores...?? I had in mind to contact Mancini and Hughes

Hughes has some nice grinds to choose forms
You can also contact places like Howard’s and Schneider for custom high lift cams.

JONES Cams or Bullet are a couple of other options.

Bullet, Isky, Crower, Howards, Racer Brown, Schneider, Mike Jones……….All can grind you a nice cam…….if they have a core.

FWIW, at least as far as their website is concerned, Comp shows their smallest shelf drag roller as “in stock”.
20-719-9

FWIW2- that Lunati grind is actually an old UD profile from when Harold Brooksire was doing work for them.
If you had your heart set on that particular cam, all those UD profiles are available from Bullet(if they have a core). They bought all the UD masters.

Last edited:
I have a Bullet cam that is close to that Lunati
CRA 288/293-08r part# 504000
Dur. at .050 256/263
Lobe lift .4450 in./.4450 ex.
Lobe separation angle 108*
Gross valve lift (1.5 ratio rocker) .668 in./.668 ex.
Valve lash (hot) .018 in./.020 ex.
Degree intake lobe to 104*
It's a little more lift, and cut on a 108 center line, but you could always call and see if they can cut it on a 106

Bullet for sure has all of the Ultradyne profiles. My SFT cam in the avatar 408 is from them using a pair of these lobes. Their website lists the profiles available. I'm quite happy with the cam I got!

Call Ken Heard at Oregon Cam. I see several on his list that are close.

Bullet has the exact same lobes:
int/exh: 288/296; 255/263 @ 050; 0.4176/0.4176" lobe lift.

With Bullet, if using a flat tappet cam, you can also choose from lobes designed for the Chevy, Ford, or Mopar lifter diameters. This determines how aggressive the profile is on the valve train as the bigger Mopar diameter allows for faster more aggressive valve opening. Like anything in building a motor, another choice and compromise to be made!

Have been waiting 2 months for shipping of my solid roller cam, and today I was informed that I should wait 3 more weeks for an estimated ETA....... I had enough on Lunati and will go a different route here.

This was the intended cam..
Drag Race Solid Roller Cam - Chrysler 273-360 288/296

Which other brands do you recommend that I can consider and that have as close as possible the same cam specifications.
Since others have mention the other cam companies ill offer a different solution. If you aren't married to the solid roller maybe a solid flat tappet grind would work?

Just got a big block hydraulic roller cam from Hughes and took 2 days (all shipping) Howard's cam labels everywhere on it.
I used a bullet cam about a year ago and it took a bit, but it was custom.
Usually lunati is my choice.

With Bullet, if using a flat tappet cam, you can also choose from lobes designed for the Chevy, Ford, or Mopar lifter diameters. This determines how aggressive the profile is on the valve train as the bigger Mopar diameter allows for faster more aggressive valve opening. Like anything in building a motor, another choice and compromise to be made!
That's good info, because on a 100% street engine, someone might want a less aggressive Ford or Chevy lobe.

That's good info, because on a 100% street engine, someone might want a less aggressive Ford or Chevy lobe.
This is very true. Hitting the maximum advantage may not be for everyone and build.

-
Back