Lunati Hydraulic FT Cam users..........

-
I think you should beat me with my own cam! LOL I have 355 gears and my cam idles just fine and has great Street characteristics pulling up for idle around the corner in second gear with my four-speed. Not too radical not too high of a lift and definitely the Speedmaster heads now have Springs that could really handle a lot of lift which wouldn't hurt your drivability any... Certainly more than I'm throwing at them...

I'm sure this will be denied to the ends of the Earth.... If there is one good reason it's bragging rights! LOL there's some jack wheel here on the Forum with the slowest stroker on the internet that posted a 12-3 timeslip last year... And he has put 9k into the motor...(hey if 318 can add a thousand every time he tells the story so can I LOL...)
Now if he can get this stock 360 with the absolute smallest hydraulic cam possible to just make the grade... He will have all his you boob cronies in the palm of his hands when he tells the story of how he build a motor with minimal pieces that beat the slowest stroker on the internet....
BWAHAHAHAAA ... :D :D GREAT POST, I'm serious! I laughed :D
Now, the truth of this is...... don't flatter yourself. Your car has 100% nothing to do with my project.. NOTHING. IF you can remember back, way back, I had left the rough idle/steep gears/headers stuff. I was done with it. I found headers that fit like a glove and have quality. I have a engine that giving me performance a different way, and idles as smooth and has the street manners of a 318 2bbl. I'm trying to keep the car I love just that - a car I love but make it even quicker.

See if I can dig out a core cam and drop it off with Ken... Maybe he could find some used solid lifters to touch up for ya.. then there'd only be shipping one way...

See if I can dig out a core cam and drop it off with Ken... Maybe he could find some used solid lifters to touch up for ya.. then there'd only be shipping one way...
LOL.. save it for later

BWAHAHAHAAA ... :D :D GREAT POST, I'm serious! I laughed :D
Now, the truth of this is...... don't flatter yourself. Your car has 100% nothing to do with my project.. NOTHING. IF you can remember back, way back, I had left the rough idle/steep gears/headers stuff. I was done with it. I found headers that fit like a glove and have quality. I have a engine that giving me performance a different way, and idles as smooth and has the street manners of a 318 2bbl. I'm trying to keep the car I love just that - a car I love but make it even quicker.
:bs_flag:... I wouldn't hear one word if you going to 12.3?...:rolleyes:...
I wasn't suggesting a rough idling car maybe one that sounds a little bit more like a hot rod that it looks like with gold wheels and a gold scoop and Plymouth written on the side of it...

... I wouldn't hear one word if you going to 12.3?...:rolleyes:...
I wasn't suggesting a rough idling car maybe one that sounds a little bit more like a hot rod that it looks like with gold wheels and a gold scoop and Plymouth written on the side of it...
the 12.3's came from competing with my sons Scat. I think I said long ago change the 4 items I've named. We'll see, like I said earlier, I gotta kick 4 "50 yard" field goals. I'm one for one.... 3 more kicks :)

the 12.3's came from competing with my sons Scat. I think I said long ago change the 4 items I've named. We'll see, like I said earlier, I gotta kick 4 "50 yard" field goals. I'm one for one.... 3 more kicks :)
I thought your son has a Chevy? LOL...
You fell just a wee tiny bit short of your two and a half... That's why I talked about the cam making up the wee tiny bit difference for each intervolt...

I thought your son has a Chevy? LOL...
You fell just a wee tiny bit short of your two and a half... That's why I talked about the cam making up the wee tiny bit difference for each intervolt...
Here's the thing. Those heads may have netted 4 tenths over the stock heads if I had the cam, gears, and converter first. That's why I was ok with the time they ran.

So,in doing my best to channel your thought process lol i would put this cam in and make it happen.
budget friendly:yes
easy on valvetrain:yes
moderate duration:yes
single pattern for some torque/112 ls for some top end and the sm heads have decent flowing exhaust.
Summit Racing® Camshafts SUM-1798
That said like prh suggested do the chassis first.
And summits description of the that cam is hilarious!

So,in doing my best to channel your thought process lol i would put this cam in and make it happen.
single pattern for some torque/112 ls for some top end and the sm heads have decent flowing exhaust.
Hmmmmmm...... an interesting grind for sure. And if used with Rhoads lifters...?? Keep in mind, I'm not going wild on the gears, I really want to work with 3.23

Hey and the one review meet 318's criteria to the T...

Yeh, I’m probably out to lunch.

No way a small block with aluminum heads, headers, aftermarket camshaft, and aftermarket intake and carb could ever make power to 5900.

But...... there was that 30hp gain at 5300 too........ hmmmm.

Bahhhh!!! Who needs it.

Right...... solid cams aren’t reliable and are always meant for high rpm screamers.

Like slant 6’s ...... model A’s...... Farmall tractors.

Sure, you CAN make power past 5,900 with aluminum heads, aftermarket cam, intake, carb etc.

But with THAT cam? With the rest of his combination? You're not considering the rest of the build or his plan.

And I didn't say anything about solid cams not being reliable. But again, we're not talking about a /6, or a Model A, or a Farmall are we? None of those are relevant to this build, or even to the aftermarket solid lifter cams available. My point in general, and it's completely backed up by the fact that this thread has gone 11 pages and only has a handful of on topic replies, is that you guys are pushing the OP to build something other than what he wants. Because you're chasing performance that he doesn't need, because drag racers are always focused on "peak" and nothing else.

Exactly where did he say it was the end-all? It was just a small example to help make a point... I believe you're the one taking this small example into the next stratosphere as the end-all and then making a whole rant about it...
I wonder why they even bothered putting adjustable rockers and solid lifters in 273s?.. my wife never complain in her 66 barracuda...

11 pages debating sold vs hydraulic lifters when the entire point of the thread was to ask about Lunati cams with hydraulic flat tappet lifters and I'm the one taking it "into the next stratosphere"? Not a single post from you in this thread has been relevant to the original question. Probably because you have no relevant experience to add on the topic, but I'm the one out of line.

And I said nothing about the original solid lifter engines. But they're as irrelevant to this discussion as some wild solid lifter cam the OP doesn't want. I've put hundreds of thousands of miles on solid lifter engines, that wasn't the point here.

LOL the lifters will cost more than the cam !!!..

And? They all have to work together. If those lifters give the OP what he wants, who cares if the lifters or the cam cost more? If this is about performance how come suddenly when it comes to lifters you're a cheap skate?

[Q] is that you guys are pushing the OP to build something other than what he wants. Because you're chasing performance that he doesn't need, because drag racers are always focused on "peak" and nothing else.

*** The Op will be the first one to tell you not one of us is pushing him into doing anything he doesn't want., LOL we're merely making our suggestions...
To hear his goals at the drag strip about making a certain number happened isn't chasing performance?....***

Probably because you have no relevant experience to add on the topic, but I'm the one out of line.
***For sure show us your engineering degree in hydraulic lifters.. every daily driver I have has hydraulic lifters but not the car that I take to the track to make a specific number... (Which I don't do that in general anyways)..***

And I said nothing about the original solid lifter engines. But they're as irrelevant to this discussion as some wild solid lifter cam the OP doesn't want. I've put hundreds of thousands of miles on solid lifter engines, that wasn't the point here.
***Who suggested some wild solid lifter cam the Op doesn't want???..***

And? They all have to work together. If those lifters give the OP what he wants, who cares if the lifters or the cam cost more? If this is about performance how come suddenly when it comes to lifters you're a cheap skate?
***The op's whole stick on this forum is how much performance he can get for the very least amount spent***
you haven't helped nobody or giving any good suggestions but just trying to start a beef with everybody....

Sure, you CAN make power past 5,900 with aluminum heads, aftermarket cam, intake, carb etc.

But with THAT cam? With the rest of his combination? You're not considering the rest of the build or his plan.

And I didn't say anything about solid cams not being reliable. But again, we're not talking about a /6, or a Model A, or a Farmall are we? None of those are relevant to this build, or even to the aftermarket solid lifter cams available. My point in general, and it's completely backed up by the fact that this thread has gone 11 pages and only has a handful of on topic replies, is that you guys are pushing the OP to build something other than what he wants. Because you're chasing performance that he doesn't need, because drag racers are always focused on "peak" and nothing else.

11 pages debating sold vs hydraulic lifters when the entire point of the thread was to ask about Lunati cams with hydraulic flat tappet lifters and I'm the one taking it "into the next stratosphere"? Not a single post from you in this thread has been relevant to the original question. Probably because you have no relevant experience to add on the topic, but I'm the one out of line.

Oh yeah what cam and lifters were you suggesting? What experience did you want to share with the OP? was that?...

Rhoads lifter is what I suggest with a tad more duration cam.

Rhoads lifter is what I suggest with a tad more duration cam.
I have always liked this cam and ran it in a few engines,not real aggressive but more lift than the usual std .842 lifter cam has:
Street Master Hydraulic Flat Tappet Cam - Chrysler 273-360 285/285 but I think its a bit lumpy for 318s taste.
I don't think the lift is anywhere near taxing the springs on the Speedmaster heads... I would like to see a little more lift actually... I think the duration is very much at the max for his drivability request but on the other hand for his performance request I believe is close to necessary.. I would like to see the lobe separation a little wider to make him a little more happier as well... As well as to deal with his low compression...

Hmmmmmm...... an interesting grind for sure. And if used with Rhoads lifters...?? Keep in mind, I'm not going wild on the gears, I really want to work with 3.23
Its a catch22, Imo you need a bit more duration than the gears will allow so I would try to make it up with moderate duration and a wide ls but then you lose some bottom end. That's why I figure that cam is a middle ground with both those features and get a ptc converter and rip. The other benefit is it's cheap and if it overachieves you are the king and if it doesn't well you have a cheap summit cam lol. Honestly if it was me I would take a leap and put 3.55s and a decent size cam but that is one thing I enjoy about the way you do things so conservatively to "creep" up on the goal, patience grasshopper.

Grasshopper when you can walk upon the rice paper without leaving a footprint...
I got to say I am very very happy with my 3:55 gears...and I like what was mentioned before in doing the gears and the converter first and seeing how much ground you got to make up with the cam LOL...

I don't think the lift is anywhere near taxing the springs on the Speedmaster heads... I would like to see a little more lift actually... I think the duration is very much at the max for his drivability request but on the other hand for his performance request I believe is close to necessary.. I would like to see the lobe separation a little wider to make him a little more happier as well... As well as to deal with his low compression...
I would agree on the lift but being a hft I think I wouldn't try for any more since that would require a pretty agressive ramp or more duration to get results. As far as ls I like to see it a bit tighter on a low compression engine and then advance the cam, better cylinder psi and throttle response but as you said allot of guys like the tamer idle of a 112 for the street.

And while you're doing the converter for goodness sakes buy a transgo two shift kit... It's actually good for the transmission believe it or not and will respond in the way you wanted to believe it or not..

-
Back