lunati street master cam

-

stroker mike

Reaction score
Has anyone here ever run the street master grind from lunati? It's 225/225, 275/275, .477/.477 on a 108 lsa, grind # sm225. It is rated at 1800-5800 rpm, and I would like to know if this grind would be good in the 318 with j heads I'm running for general street performance. I run a high rise dual plain, and a 2000 stall, as well. My weakest link right now is about to be cured with an 8 1/4 with 3.55's, so can anyone clue me in on this grind or it's characteristics? I was lookin for the strongest grind I can run with my combo. Most folks been pointin me at the xe 268, or a 218/228 like summit's, and etc. I know that summit grind is on a 114, that is a fat powerband, right? not so lumpy? but the lunati grind sounds like it'll lope right along but might be tame enough to have power brakes, etc. What do you think?:coffee2:

It sounds like a decent grind, but I think if you already have the larger ports, and the drop in compression, perhaps a cam on a 108cl isnt the best choice. I dont think (depending on the rest of the shortblock) you will get teh vaccum you need. The lumpiness will come with the loss of low end response and vaccum...for the brakes...lol. The XE268 is not a mild cam. It makes great power accross a wide band. Lunatis has a very similar "268" Voo Doo grind. I would take that way bfore what you have listed taking into account the brake/vaccum need.

so, then there is the magnum 270 grind from comp, it is a 224/270/.470 on a 110, that will be better? That is a trip. Hughes has a grind that is 218/487 on a 108 lca plus 3 degrees of timing, and they claim it makes explosive torque off idle, with plenty of vacuum. I know they have a very agressive ramp profile, but I don't understand how that would work. they have an even bigger one, a 223/504 grind, again on a 108. Same claims, too. I want the best grind that I can slip in, and the guy named Don from cam-motion told me today that I should run a 209/497 on a 114! I think my rv cam is bigger than that! I don't need to tow a boat. Choosing a cam is really sticky business, I need alot of guidance, it seems. I want the right grind, and I'm too picky to settle for less than the perfect one for my combo. Help!

Ive run that cam and many others,the 108 will give you a lopey idle but it will also incease low end torque and create explosive power above 2,000.A basic guideline is the tighter ls gives you a lower rpm range and more torque where a wider ls gives you a broader range and a bit more h.p. but a loss of torque/lower end.Alot of people think that a mellower idle and more vaccum/throttle response is directly related to your low/mid range torque but the dyno and the dragstrip told me a different story.you will accelerate faster and have more torque with a tighter ls and the proper convertor/gears.With all that said modern cams with agressive lobe profiles have thrown a curve ball in the works by offering cams with a 110 ls that have a ton of lower end and good vaccum for the duration but also not sacraficing top end.You will notice cam durations that used to reccomend 10.1 compression or better now reccomend 9.1 or so in the comp xe series due to the efficiency of the design,they are really about the best dual purpose street strip type cams out there I have ever used.

By the way,just my opinion but the comp 270 magnums-and most other straight duration grinds are obselete for street/strip engines compared to the other offerings.

I think Lobe Seperation Angle and Intake Centerline Angle are being blurred here. The overlap period is a function of rate of lift and lobe seperation angle. A steeper rate of lift on both intake and exhaust will naturally have a greater amount of overlap unless the lobe seperation angle is increased. To have the steeper ramp, and cut the overlap down slightly, the LSA is widened. This is conjecture on my part, but I think that is why Comp has everything in that series at 110 or 112°. Intake center line in relation to crank degrees is what give the low end pop. Close the intake earlier in the up stroke, the cylinder develops more pressure. The problem has been that with a symmetrical lobe, you cant close the valve early without opeing it earlier, causing more overlap. The newest asymmetrical lobes I'm told help address this. I havent really looked into them. So Hughes likes to have a 108° intake centerline..what is their lobe sepration angle at? Still 108°?

On that combo, I would opt. for a cam (Smaller IMO) thats on a C-line of 112 or greater.
That Summit cam is a nice one and is ground by Crane. I have the Crane equal. It has a 112 C-line and more lift. They are comparable cams.
The 2000 stall will work real well with these cams and even better with 3.55's.
Power brakes have not been a problem with my set up on my 318 with the Crane cam.
Your biggest problem is low compression.

Hughes does grind most of their cams with a 108 lsa wich actaully is a benefit to lower compression engines-even with milder duration as it builds more cilnder pressure due to the earlier closing intake and later exhaust.This will build the greatest torque but it does give you the rougher idle/lower vaccum due to reversion at idle-but it will still accelerate faster and have more lowend than a wider lsa.This is why everyone wants a wider lsa with high compression engines to get by on the street-less cilinder psi is created so the chance of detonation is less in the lower rpm range.The comp xes designs combine all the lowend/vaccum with the top end of a similar duration cam due to the non symetrical lobe design wich actaully has been used for years by ultradyne and mopar performance cams.Ive always loved camshaft design/theory sicne its the heart of your power.

Ive always loved camshaft design/theory sicne its the heart of your power.
Me too.
Are you sure Huges grinds there own cams?

Actually no they dont-last i checked it was engle who supplied them for hughes to their specs (if my machinist was right)-engle was the first to widely market the high lift hydraulic cams for the mopar lifter.

Hughes doesnt grind there own cam and engle no longer does them for Hughes either. Not sure who grinds them now.

Also Scott Brown at straight line is said to have some great grinds but also doesnt do the actual grinding. His are ground by Comp Cams.

I have been told by a couple guys that Don Giantson from Chet Herbert's is a really good grinder, and very cost effective. I do know Engle was one of the biggest grinders around for a long time. The summit cam is a slip in, I know, and will make some power, I just hope to get something I will be really happy with for a while, cause I won't be able to do this again for some time, a few years at least, and I want to pack as much punch into this little sucker as I can within the limits of my combo. Rumblefish, I have recieved great input from you for a long while, now, and I respect your opinion. I have a 68 cuda, so it's light weight, and you have seen the rest of my combo in different threads, do you think that summit/crane grind is right for this setup? I want to hold my own out here, ain't too many people around my area doin it with classic mopar style and I intend to represent in the best way that I can!!

I want to pack as much punch into this little sucker as I can within the limits of my combo.
Ahhhhhh, allways the goal it is. I want to hold my own you say. Allways the goal at a min. But what exactly does it mean to you vs. someone elses idea. Thus the dilemna. Opinions opinions opinions.....

Don from cam-motion told me today that I should run a 209/497 on a 114!
(likely 209 duration @ .050 ?) While I respect this input from a shop that actually will grind a cam, and that being there biz and main job, you can go to Comp, Crane and Huges for more advice from these 3 respected places and have 3 more different cams.

Rumblefish, I have recieved great input from you for a long while, now, and I respect your opinion.
Thank you very much.

I do think my recomended cam will perform well and move you well, but at the same time, as above, 3 more members here can come up with 3 more cams that will also perform well. The above mentioned Crane is my choice and you have to figure out what you will run.

do you think that summit/crane grind is right for this setup?

I have run this cam in a 318 before and been so happy with it that I'm running it again. The problem with that is, "Is it the same thing your after?" I thought so and recomended it.

I also do not see your car as light. IMO, if it was, the cam recomendation would have been larger. Being the engine is a 318 with J heads, you'll need a smallish cam to keep torque up. Even with the 1.88's in there.
I have run that cambo before with many wrong parts. LOL He he he. I learned how to go slow first before I went fast.

Mike beck, a member here runs (Ran actually) the Crane version in his Duster w/a 360 to the tune of 12's. Though more track oriented with 4.10's, it should show you the potential of this small cam when backed up/set up well.

How far are you willing to take it? I don't know. But Mikes Duster is testoment and my opinion is it will be good in your set up.

The last intake combo I had on the old 318 with the Crane was with a LD-340 and T-Q. Best set up I had on it. This was also a number of years before the RPM. Backed by a 4spd in a E-body Cuda, It did well out on the streets.

I do think my recomended cam will perform well and move you well, but at the same time, as above, 3 more members here can come up with 3 more cams that will also perform well. The above mentioned Crane is my choice and you have to figure out what you will run.

I have run this cam in a 318 before and been so happy with it that I'm running it again. The problem with that is, "Is it the same thing your after?" I thought so and recomended it.

I also do not see your car as light. IMO, if it was, the cam recomendation would have been larger. Being the engine is a 318 with J heads, you'll need a smallish cam to keep torque up. Even with the 1.88's in there.
I have run that cambo before with many wrong parts. LOL He he he. I learned how to go slow first before I went fast.

Mike beck, a member here runs (Ran actually) the Crane version in his Duster w/a 360 to the tune of 12's. Though more track oriented with 4.10's, it should show you the potential of this small cam when backed up/set up well.

How far are you willing to take it? I don't know. But Mikes Duster is testoment and my opinion is it will be good in your set up.

The last intake combo I had on the old 318 with the Crane was with a LD-340 and T-Q. Best set up I had on it. This was also a number of years before the RPM. Backed by a 4spd in a E-body Cuda, It did well out on the streets.

What is the part number of this cam and what is the specs? Just curious to see all of the info of the cam you are running.

The cam in question is a 218/228 @.050, .441 lift both sides, I believe, on a 112. I think that, all things considered, I will give it a try, and the price sure is right. Oh, yeah, and my J heads have 2.02's in em, not the 1.88's. Or so I was told, I have not seen them myself, and am loath to tear the heads off and look!!

What is the part number of this cam and what is the specs? Just curious to see all of the info of the cam you are running.
Post #4 in here; http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=10508&page=1&pp=20
Cam spece @.050,216 - 228 Advetised 272-284, Lift .454-.480, Lobe centers 107 -117

Timing events are;

Part number cam page, click here to go to Cranes page on the cam;
http://cranecams.com/?show=browsePa...37;20C.I.&partNumber=693941&partType=camshaft

Post #4 in here; http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=10508&page=1&pp=20
Cam spece @.050,216 - 228 Advetised 272-284, Lift .454-.480, Lobe centers 107 -117

Timing events are;

Part number cam page, click here to go to Cranes page on the cam;
http://cranecams.com/?show=browsePa...=318 C.I.&partNumber=693941&partType=camshaft

Thanks for sharing.

I really like that cam.

I have the Mopar purple shaft duration @ .50 is 238 and has int .474/ext .474 installed in my 273 ,4-speed, 3.55 gears, eddy 500 cfm, hooker headers, and I believe I lost some low end torque. But mid range seemed to pick up a little from the former cam Elgin .420 intake (can't remember the rest) but my stock truck sounded better than my cuda!
Thinking of installing a different cam but not sure yet. I don't burn rubber much and never take it to the drag race and no street racing (yet)
Thinking finding a 360 and stroking it but I'm not rolling in the money right now.

The summit cam I was refering to is part # 6901, it is not like the one you listed, rumblefish, what part # is yours? you said it was a Crane, I want to check it out, it sounds hotter, based on the increased exhaust lift, but there is 2 degrees less duration on the intake, so that is an interesting cam to me. I will be leaning toward the 6901 since it is a slip in, but I am still gonna look at your grind and do some math. And thanks, to all of you, this stuff helps me so much!

Mike, re-read my last post and click on the links directly to the Crane page, not a summit page.
2*'s in duration is really nothing and the increased lift is to maximize the flow of the stock head with or without port work in the duration (RPM power range) of the cam. I could probably find another one with higher lift or custom order one that way.

Thanks for sharing.

I really like that cam.

I have the Mopar purple shaft duration @ .50 is 238 and has int .474/ext .474 installed in my 273 ,4-speed, 3.55 gears, eddy 500 cfm, hooker headers, and I believe I lost some low end torque. But mid range seemed to pick up a little from the former cam Elgin .420 intake (can't remember the rest) but my stock truck sounded better than my cuda!
Thinking of installing a different cam but not sure yet. I don't burn rubber much and never take it to the drag race and no street racing (yet)
Thinking finding a 360 and stroking it but I'm not rolling in the money right now.

That purple shaft is a bit high on duration for a street car. But it can pack a punch. The Crane is a very mello cam that can deliver a decent upgrade in power without sounding like a chopping axe or have a hard time tuning because of size and overlap.

I have run the Duster with that cam in it and have found power just as the cam card reads. With the 3.21 gears and 225/70/14's, the tires will shread easy if you mash the gas. Roll into the pedal and it's fine.

Engine; stock shortblock, '79/ 318 sprinkled with;
MP distributor, summit plug wires
OE Carter 340 AVS ontop of a Edelbrock LD4B
Hooker headers into a Jegs 2-1/2 exhaust.
Electric fan
Crane cam

I was sorta hoping it would sound a little choppy, to be honest, I gotta admit, I love the sound!! I had the honor of attending a running of Wally Allred's nostalgia dragster yesterday, and that 513 hemi is awesome, 1000+ horses on alchohol!! I can still hear it....but anyway, there is a sound bite of a duster with the 215/225 cam by herbert in the exhaust section of this site, the guy has it in a 360 and it has a nice tumble to it, so I figured that 218/228 cam from summit would sound awesome in a 318!! smaller ci and a couple more degrees, should be pretty rumpity, ande still drive! The crane grind has enough lift that I would need to check the seal/spring/retainer clearance on my heads, and valve to piston clearance as well. I think that with the 2.02/1.60's and large runner volume I may not need that much lift for it to still make decent power. Thanks again!

-
Back