M/T valve couver grommets

-

No problem glad to help. I didn`t have a big enough drill bit so I went as big as I could and used a dremel to make the hole bigger. Sort of a PIA but I got it to go. You may want to have a machine shop drill it and avoid the hassle I went through.
This grommet kit comes with a rubber plug too. I cut the bottom off and it fit the other side where the twist on style breather would go, fit perfect and I was able to use my factory push in style breather. I`ll post a pic of my setup.

No problem glad to help. I didn`t have a big enough drill bit so I went as big as I could and used a dremel to make the hole bigger. Sort of a PIA but I got it to go. You may want to have a machine shop drill it and avoid the hassle I went through. ...

The grommet you have will not fit Snake's valve cover.

When they arrived at my shop, the knock outs were already to the outside edge of the opening. I merely cleaned up the sharp edges and made them presentable. The dry rotted grommet that accompanied them fell into two pieces when I was removing it.

View attachment 001 - Copy.jpg

View attachment 026 - Copy.jpg

Snake's valve covers have already been completely restored and custom powder coated in two colors so further modifications aren't really an option for him.

View attachment 056 - Copy.jpg

I called around today to the auto parts places we have here, O'Reilly's, Advance and Auto Zone, and none had one large enough. :-(

Keep the posts coming guys! There has to be one out there. I know I've done other M/Ts that were reamed just like his and you guys are using them. We just need the right one to see this thread. :-D

The grommet you have will not fit Snake's valve cover.

When they arrived at my shop, the knock outs were already to the outside edge of the opening. I merely cleaned up the sharp edges and made them presentable. The dry rotted grommet that accompanied them fell into two pieces when I was removing it.

Snake's valve covers have already been completely restored and custom powder coated in two colors so further modifications aren't really an option for him.

View attachment 1714624514

I called around today to the auto parts places we have here, O'Reilly's, Advance and Auto Zone, and none had one large enough. :-(

Keep the posts coming guys! There has to be one out there. I know I've done other M/Ts that were reamed just like his and you guys are using them. We just need the right one to see this thread. :-D

Nice work on those covers Cudachick!
Here is a pic of my valve covers "rattle can job". I thought I had more pics on my computer but this was the only one I could find of mine. Hard to see the hole I drilled but, I actually had to shave quite a bit off the grommet to squeeze it in the hole I made. If the grommet is loose in the hole is it possible to fill around the grommet with permatex from inside the valve cover? Once it sets up and cures it should stay put I would think.

Attachments

• 100_2591.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 295
I really think the grommets from Mancini are what you want. I just went out to my car and took a pic of mine. The top of grommet looks to be 1 3/4 O.D. Notice in my pic the grommet completly covers the silver trim around the hole.

Snake and Cudachick I think your quest is over!

Attachments

• 100_2717.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 265
No problem! I hate to see Mopar people suffering! Lol! :glasses7:

Well a may try that grommet,but I will have to see the Mopar one I ordered from my local dodge dealer,how ever I think it will not work.I will find out Monday,its in,I will save me some time going there I will just call and ask if the out side measured to 1/3/4.Thanks you DoN

I used this from M.P. @ Jegs on my M.Ts.
http://www.jegs.com/i/Mopar+Performance/312/P5249642/10002/-1
It was a super tight fit. Had to use some assembly lube to get it in. It would definitely fit up to a 1.5'' hole.
The oil cap is something I found @ NAPA in the "help line". I think it fits a chebby, don't tell anybody:) Hope this helps,
Larry

Attachments

• June 012.JPG
    119.9 KB · Views: 331
  • June 009.JPG
    123.7 KB · Views: 332
  • June 008.JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 221
  • June 002.JPG
    118.9 KB · Views: 345
  • June 001.JPG
    125.9 KB · Views: 298
I don't want to put anybody down but it seems that there are many different specs showing up in this thread](*,). Don I did a lot of research @ work to help the other guy out that you spoke to, & found that part #53030017 will work for you & that is the one we ordered in for you last week. As 63 MorePar shows in his one pic this is the exact part we ordered in for you. It is there & ready for you, I also ordered one for myself for my covers.

So Don it does look like your search might be over for this grommet. I've copied 63 MorePar's pic show this part number. Hope this helps:glasses7:
ps: we also ordered the Mopar Performance P5249642 grommet set as well just in case

Attachments

• June 002.JPG
    118.9 KB · Views: 292
AWESOME! :-D I love it when a plan comes together.

Don, you already have an old breather and oil cap in the box with your valve covers.

I don't want to put anybody down but it seems that there are many different specs showing up in this thread](*,). Don I did a lot of research @ work to help the other guy out that you spoke to, & found that part #53030017 will work for you & that is the one we ordered in for you last week. As 63 MorePar shows in his one pic this is the exact part we ordered in for you. It is there & ready for you, I also ordered one for myself for my covers.

So Don it does look like your search might be over for this grommet. I've copied 63 MorePar's pic show this part number. Hope this helps:glasses7:
ps: we also ordered the Mopar Performance P5249642 grommet set as well just in case

Sweet Ron I will see you tomorrow.

Yeah , I feel guilty not knowing it would be such an issue to find the stuff to finish these beautiful covers of yours . Did you figure it out , Don ?

-
Back