M1 plumbing question

-

gtmopar

Phuckin A!
Reaction score
So I just realized there is no port for a mechanical temp gauge or heater return line. I've never used an m1 manifold before all the other intakes I've used have provisions for these accessories. Any suggestions besides no heater and electric temp gauge which I don't care for? Guess I can T off the port going from water pump to intake but that would look cluttered. Just fishin for ideas and even better pictures. Thanks guys.

What intake do you have? Both my M1's have a temp sensor port right in the stock spot. No heater hose provision though. It is marketed as a race intake so the hose connection is deleated. (A shame and BS)

Yea it's got the temp port but its for the small electric sending unit and all mine are mechanical. Guess I'll be wearing extra jackets! Or the wife that is. Yea it's bullshit they can't add a port there is tons of space.

Yes, there's enough meat in the intake to do so.

Has anyone ever cut a bit of length off the bottom of a thermocouple on a manual temp gauge? I never had and didn't know if it would phuck it up.

Has anyone ever cut a bit of length off the bottom of a thermocouple on a manual temp gauge? I never had and didn't know if it would phuck it up.

Nope. That is a bulb, and the "wire" is tubing. It's pressurized. The temp gauge is in reality a pressure gauge.

I believe you can get adapters down to 3/8" pipe so you don't have to tap them out "so big."

Dont cut it, just use a small piece of pipe to extend it up.

Ah got it didn't think about a piece of pipe to extend it up. Thanks guys. This M1 is set up for electric and all mine are mechanical and I didn't want to botch it up.

I've often thought about building a plug sort of like a block plug heater IE machined, O ringed, that will replace a plug and provide a mounting for a temp sender. Not sure though, "that low," how accurate it might be

block_heater.gif

HERE'S the thing: The higher you mount a sender, especially if you extend it, you run the risk of running it dry and not registering. One easy to understand scenario is, you get a tiny pinhole leak you don't notice. Maybe it sits overnight and the level goes down. You can overheat the hell out of an engine and the gauge won't "feel" a thing.

I

HERE'S the thing: The higher you mount a sender, especially if you extend it, you run the risk of running it dry and not registering. One easy to understand scenario is, you get a tiny pinhole leak you don't notice. Maybe it sits overnight and the level goes down. You can overheat the hell out of an engine and the gauge won't "feel" a thing.

That's a good point! I too have an M! intake and getting ready to add a heater back into my car. I will try to go with the water neck with tapped holes. Makes the most sense probably.

Had a buddy with an M1 intake like you describe, no connections for the heater and such. Pretty sure we figured out it was an early version and the later one's had the holes drilled and tapped.

Doesn't help you out any now, just an FYI.

I seem that one on summits site.
Is the Chevy and Mopar the same bolt pattern?

FYI the M1 single plane on my magnum has extra 3/8 npt threads for extra gauges

-
Back