M1 single plain

-

stroker mike

Reaction score
With a 318, if I am running a [email protected]/489 lift single pattern on a 108 would a single plain work well? I have a P4532851 M1 single plane and the port size is much smaller than an air gap, but my regular performer really hasn't anything to offer above 5500-5600 rpm. My concern is that the plenum on this M1 is huge, I don't want to shoot myself in the foot. I know my cam will make power from @2400-6400 in a 318, with a port match would this work well? I know port velocity is a concern with these 318's which is why I'm running 318 heads, if I port match the heads to the intake will this still leave me with some torque? or will it just fall on it's face?

Honestly I don't think it'd work good at all in a mild 318. And I'd sure be surprised if that cam really made any usable power past 5500 rpm even in a 318. It might spin past 6k but would it actually be making usable power?? Even if the air gap isn't a perfect port match it'll stomp the M1 in the dust on your engine combo. JMHO

I think the performer you have is about right for your motor, even the RPM manifold is overkill, you could add plenum buy using a 1" or 2" open spacer a lot cheaper. You could go with a 71/72/73 type stock intake and match it to the 318 heads that would be a little better than the performer.

I am suprised to read your responses, but I am sure this cam will make good power to six and maybe as high as 6200, I had a 222/232 112lsa cam in a 360 that pulled to six+ without a problem, and it had an airgap on it. I ran that thing hard and it pulled like a freight train. In a 318, which naturally rev's MUCH higher than a 360 just based on the 3.31 stroke, the amount of lift I have should allow it to make power til the valves float. If it can breath, that is. This car will also have a 125 shot of nitrous, so it's not going to be a mild build, really, at all. I have the performer on it now with a 1"spacer. Performers are an excellent stock replacement, I believe, but I picked this cam because proportionally I hope it will behave as a 230/230 would in a 360. There's a guy around here called Dusturb318 that's running a 220/220 solid and runs 11's with nitrous, so I'm hoping to get somewhere up there. I hear his 318 spins pretty high, too. Thanks, guys, though, sincerely, your opinions and experience are valid, I will be paying attention for sure.

Well, I launch it at 2800 and shift at 6200, that's my usable rpm, right? It was recommended by isky that I shift at 6400 but I advanced it two degrees

What gear is in your car and what carb are you running?
Is this a 4 speed??
What was your et and mph??
The m1 gets a bad name ,but when run with the right spacer
and carb it's hard to beat with low gears.
If you have bone stock 318 heads, you sould port match the intake ports .
If you pull the heads you might as well bowl blend them and port match everything.
The intake you have on the motor is also very good.
A little more info would help.

PS any time you see a 340/360 intake used with any 318 head it's always port matched and the heads have work done to them.

the carb is an eddie 1406 tuned at Goodies, but I have a 700 holley if I need it. Needs rebuilt. and the gears right now are gonna be freeways til I pay off my buddy with the 4.10's. I ran a 4.56 in it for a minute in a dana but it was a loaner I have to give back. I can't afford the dana. it is an A999 with wide ratio and four disc clutches, @2800 stall TCI

I tell you what, with the freeways in it if I am at 20 mph in first and floor it I feel like I'm gonna break my seat.. the nitrous is set up with my holley ignition to kick on at 3400 and the shift is brutal at 6200, sometimes I'm nervous and drop it at 6000...

Someone just told me that the M1 with port matching would be worth 25hp at 6000 rpm! That's all I needed to know! M1 it is! That's awesome. I love the internet! I hope to get 375 honest hp out of my engine without the bottle, so if I get an actual 95hp at the wheels from the nitrous (125 shot) I should be in the low 12's, my car is really light, stripped down alot. And I got pretty good rubber. If it hooks up with the 4.10's it should be pretty fun!

And you had several here tell you it could be worse than what you have.

Good luck…. But you had already decided to use the M1 before you started this thread.

Check out mopar muscle magazine online and type in there search box on there web site (318 baracuda).
They build a 318 and run it at the track with minor stuff done to it and it went high 12's.GREAT INFO \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

you should be using a dual plane intake...2800 converter is not enough for a M1 intake...you might make more hp at higher rpm...but it is what you lose in low end torque getting to 6000 rpm...

but it your show....

Use a four hole one inch spacer.DO NOT USE A OPEN SPACER !!!!!!
If you have a hood scoop and have alot of room then use a two inch four hole spacer.You want whats coming out of the carb to have as much velocity as possible.
Everybody makes the mistake of running no spacer or the wrong one.
In your situation you will need evrything right.
If you didn't run the car yet ,then go run it at the track first ,then change the intake.Cars go faster by making one change at a time and then running the car.Sometimes what works for someone else might not be your best move??
It's fun to change parts and find a faster car at the end of a hard days work
too.( SO GOOD LUCK ):evil4:

you had already decided to use the M1 before you started this thread.

second that! 8)
just try it, and report back here, maybe we have to change our mine, or maybe you! internet is great,yes, but there are so much more to an engine combo than just the intake! it could add 25hp on one engine, and loose 25hp on another! hope it does good on yours! BR

60 foot times make or brake a ET! So if the M1 don't 60 foot vary well.......Your going to get a higher mph and a "slower" ET.

But you will never know until you try it!:-D

Yeah, I agree. The M1s not the best choice but you got someone to validate what you wanted to hear. Why not run waht you have, then swap it, and run the M1? Do a comparison for us?

dont believe everything you hear on the web lol...but test it out and let us know how it runs

what nitrous plate kit are you using?

Ha! Lotta guys got annoyed with my thoughts on the M1 last night... I wonder who tried it and what the results were? Has anyone here actually run an M1 on a 318 and what were the results? I am running a nitrous express mainline kit jetted for 125hp with the big NOS brand solenoids. Thanks guys, I will try them both, and I also have an offy low rise single plain I might try too, just for giggles. I had not yet made a choice when I started this thread, I just know that between the intakes I have, I want to pick the lesser of two evils. or three. In the articles I read where Steve Dulcich did dyno test on 360 with several intakes, the M1 beat the low rise dual plane, but did not beat the RPM airgap. The M1 had suprising torque at low end, for a single plain. I remember the article well. So please don't make out that I'm a stubborn knucklehead wasting your time, I wanted to find someone that tried it on a 318 and what the results were. So that if it doesn't make sense for what I'm doin I can just trade this M1 for something else! Thanks again.

By the way, the person who 'validated'? my views last night is a man from San Jose who builds and races funny cars and owns six A bodies right now, his name is Todd, and I respect him when he speaks to me, I listen. He has always been on point. So, ya, and by the way, he has a dana 60 for sale right now with a spool and moser axles, 4.56 gears and it's 42" flange to flange, with Alston 4 link setup welded on , he's asking $900 if anyone is looking for one.

Really? I stated from the gate that the performer fell off around 5500-5600 and I wasn't happy with it, and you all told me to keep it anyway! The reason I STARTED THIS THREAD was cause I don't like the performer, it falls off before I want it to. I want a 318 intake that will rip to 6500. Any suggestions? Cause a performer aint doing it, and if you don't believe me, come on over! lets take a ride! I'll show you I aint bullshi**ing and maybe you are the one not hearing me!

I';m not annoyed. I've been there. But if Todd's your guy, give his suggestion a try. I know a bunch of people. From NHRA record holders to Super Gas racers to bracket reacers to fuel altered guys to big dollar Hemi/collectors... They're all great guys, but that doesnt change my opinion of what your 318 will want...lol. Garlits could tell me use the M1 and I wouldnt...lol. No biggie to me at all.

-
Back