M1 single plain

-
Ok guys, sorry to waste your time. I respect Todd cause I know him and seen the results of his efforts, and they were good. I'm results oriented. I actually feel pretty unwelcome here, after this thread, this aint cool. I was trying to get good facts, from people who have done it. Not trying to have people tell me I can't express a different view or argue it for the sake of getting it right. Good luck, Nice to meet you.

In the articles I read where Steve Dulcich did dyno test on 360 with several intakes, the M1 beat the low rise dual plane, but did not beat the RPM airgap. The M1 had suprising torque at low end, for a single plain. I remember the article well.

Is this the article?

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/...testing_small_block_intakes/dyno_numbers.html

That's the only one I can find on Mopar Muscle done by Dulcich. It's the main page where it shows the results of the test but it doesn't show an M1. Rather it shows a Holley strip dominator which is nearly identical to the M1 I've read in several places. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about that. The test was on a hot 360 with a lot more cam than you have so really the M1 would be much more inclined to work better on it than a mild 318. Yet in the test results it wasn't until 3,800 rpm that the big single plane overtook even the std. performer. AT 3000 rpm the performer was 22 ft. lbs ahead of the single plane in the torque column. I have never used an M1 but I have used a few different single planes over the yrs. and the general experience I've had is you need at least a 3500 stall minimum and low gears to make them work any better than a good dual plane like the RPM on a small cube engine.

BTW: What makes you so certain it's the intake that's causing it to fall off at 5500? I don't doubt it has something to do with it but as I already stated I think it's more the cam. You then stated Dusterb318 runs a cam about that big but remember this, his is a solid. A solid will pull quite a few more rpm than a hydraulic. A good example I know of personally is a buddy of mine runs a 340 (same stroke as 318) with a Comp solid that's 242/252 degrees at .050 and .520/.540 lift and it runs best shifted at 6600. Sure it'll spin to 7000+ a little but it's not making any usable power and goes faster shifted at 6600. He also has nicely ported X heads so it can breath. I've seen examples of that time and time again. Just my .02

The article is in spring 07 engine masters called working mopar's magnum by steve dulcich. Article starts page 58. He made specific comments about using it on the mild tune on page 61 bottom right corner. You'll see what I mean. I just spoke with Phil, dusturb318, he agreed with my thoughts about the performer ports being too small and that I need something more. he said he's running a crosswind now but was running an M1 before and it was fine, but yep, his cam is a solid. I was hoping that with the tight lobe sep on mine that 6200-6500 would be my top end. I think your statement about the 2800 stall is on the mark, but I'm gonna be stuck with this one for at least a while, someday I'll graduate from a tci to a dynamic or coan...

I put the duster on scale today I'm at 2940 pounds... I weigh in at 200 even, so with the 4.10's I'm hoping to get someday it would be good, effective rpm range @3000-6000 shifting at 6200, maybe 6300. Maybe i should put down the $450 and get a 318 specific port-o-sonic or single plain by offy... do they still make those?

duster at 2940? wth lol where was this done I want to try mine

I took out every thing that I could... I have no gas tank, no heater, no carpet nothing that isn't necesary. My friend has pads that you plug in and you jack the car up and slide them under the tire and set it back down, his laptop reads weight and weight distribution. He's an import racer/drift guy, and he's way high tech. If you want I can ask him to do yours, too. His name is San.

He actually has an 08 saleen. And a black 68 cuda fastback that he bought from me! And a 350 z that is painted all crazy is the car he races.
What year is your duster? The weight spec for mine was 3345 lb.s, but i cut weight everywhere, plus using aluminum wheels and getting rid of heavy stuff like cast exhaust manifolds and iron intakes and all that really makes a difference.

i believe its a 73/74 and i have fiberglass hood and im going to take the heater off. I have manual steering and manual brakes im hoping less thatn 3300

I put the duster on scale today I'm at 2940 pounds... I weigh in at 200 even, so with the 4.10's I'm hoping to get someday it would be good, effective rpm range @3000-6000 shifting at 6200, maybe 6300. Maybe i should put down the $450 and get a 318 specific port-o-sonic or single plain by offy... do they still make those?

Oh no you dont. After all this,you got to put that M1 on and tell us how it works on your teen.8)

I absolutely will, Johnny, you have my word. Ha! That's funny. I will this coming week, count on it. Hey, Mike, I bet you can cut just as much weight as I did, do you have a gas tank still? interior? I swear there must have been 40 pounds under my dash, what's with all the vacuum hoses down there? I read somewhere that for every 20 pounds you shed it's like x ammount of horse power, so I went crazy on it...

Exactly! I read it in a bracket racing how-to book years ago. Hey, do you need a grill? I have a 74 grill, perfect shape. I aint using it, if you need it you can have it. My grill on mine has the clear turn signals, the 74 has orange ones.

My 2 cents and worth less than you paid!

If you are running plate style juice, run the M1. No juice, run the RPM/dual plane

Launch at 2800 and juice hits at 3400, it's on almost right away. What does the converter flash? It may be on as soon as you leave the line.

Take it for what it's worth.

flashes at about 2800, it seems like, but it really seems to vary, honestly, with the temp and how many times I run it, in a row, know what I mean? Sometimes it hits higher and harder and sometiimes, eh... but it's probably driver error, more than anything. I wanted the nitrous to hit at 3400 so I could be sure I had traction before it blasts... I want to get a progresive controller to optimize launches, but that's a ways off...
The holley ignition I have has three rev limits, one for burn out , one for launch and one overall, nice features, but I don't understand the sequences you have to choose from for the limiter, there's several types? of rev limits, I don't know how to choose which is best. Still researching that!

-
Back