Machine Shop recommendation..L.A.

-

photorep

Reaction score
Hi:

I live in the San Fernando Valley...Los Angeles and I am looking for a recommendation on a machine shop to do the work on my 360 block and heads. Can anyone give me a lead???

See you at Spring Fling...I have a list of things I need for my '74 Scamp.

Brian @ IMM comes to mind. He's a little down the road from ya in Indio...Also a member here. "OU812"

Hi:

I live in the San Fernando Valley...Los Angeles and I am looking for a recommendation on a machine shop to do the work on my 360 block and heads. Can anyone give me a lead???

Lots and lots of shops to choose from in San Fernando Valley.

Are you looking for just the machining and YOU doing the assembly of the short block? Or a shop to machine and assemble the engine (long block or short block) for you?

What horsepower and what objectives of the car?

Stock stroke?

What type of machining are you thinking about getting? I.E. true deck, torque plate, line hone, lifter bushings, sleeves...) What do you need? (two different things)

There are some very top quality race machine shops and engine builders in the valley. They could be over kill for what your objectives are though.

QMP would be on the full tilt race side.

http://www.qmpracing.com/

If it's less than a 450 HP 360, IMHO QMP would be overkill.

Valley Head Service might be a better price match for a street strip build?: http://www.valleyhead.com/index.html

Now that I read one of your previous posts, I think I have an idea of what you are working with: http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=200097

Are you sure you need a full rebuild? What about just a hone?

What pistons are in the motor now? Need to roughly know the compression ratio.

If you have them out, maybe you can find a part number on them or some picture might help people on FABO identify them.

Hey Steve..
Thanks for your response. Since that earlier posting, I purchased another 360 block that is standard bore. I am looking to build a street engine with some extra power....nothing over the top. I plan on doing all the rebuild myself. I have Edelbrock performer intake, crane roller rockers and all the parts from the first 360 I purchased. I will probably go with KB 107 pistons and the cam is still undecided.
I will check out the shop you recommended...thanks

I will look you up at the Fling and say Hi.

Hey Steve..
Thanks for your response. Since that earlier posting, I purchased another 360 block that is standard bore. I am looking to build a street engine with some extra power....nothing over the top. I plan on doing all the rebuild myself. I have Edelbrock performer intake, crane roller rockers and all the parts from the first 360 I purchased. I will probably go with KB 107 pistons and the cam is still undecided.
I will check out the shop you recommended...thanks

I will look you up at the Fling and say Hi.

Sounds like an under 400 horsepower motor. Like somthing in the range of a comp XE268 or XE274 hydraulic cam as a reference point. Just reference point, don't have to use those. Are you using headers?

I don't think you need anything special. Don't need torque plate, true decking, or race competition valve job. I'd save that $$ for fancy machine work and put it toward building a mild stroker.

Is this you first full motor rebuild?

What heads were you planning on?

You have some parts that aren't really required for a mild build, crane roller rockers. If staying with a hydraulic cam in the .500-.510 lift range, stock style rockers can get the job done. Just something to ponder.

Lunati 60402-60403, XE268H and a bunch of others will get a 360 to make 340-370hp depending on intake and heads.

Good luck with it.

This is my first motor rebuild. I am pretty good with mechanical things and have read the "Rebuild the Mopar 318, 340, 360 Engine" book about 10 times. It doesn't seem too impossible....and I always have FABO for help. This last 18 months on this forum have been an invaluable education on my car and motor. I am planning on using the heads that came with the first motor I bought. 1974 casting heads with the roller rockers that came on them. If this motor turns out to have anywhere near 350HP, I will be more than happy....now I just have to learn some basic porting. I have seen the sticky note on porting. That scares me a little.
By the way Steve, I went over to Valley Head Service this morning and met with Larry. He is a nice guy and was very forthcoming with answers to my questions...thanks

Here's a simple build that should get you around 340+hp out of a 360.
KB107 at 9.5:1
stock 1.88-2.02 heads with good machine work, stock rockers
XE268H cam
LD340/RPM/Air Gap
750 Holley
Headers
Good electronic ignition with good initial/total split.

The performer intake is a pretty decent intake, not quite as good as the others. I'd still expect it to be in the 330+ range with a performer 318/360 intake.

IMO, the Lunati 60403 268/276 cam or whatever the new number is may perform a bit better.

Listen to this guy,kinda knows his stuff. I know,firsthand knowledge....

I know..I've seen his posts. Thanks crackedback, I appreciate your advice. Maybe I will sell the performer intake I have and look for one of the intakes you recommend. I especi

I especially appreciate the cam advice..I am probably still a few months from starting the engine build.

I know..I've seen his posts. Thanks crackedback, I appreciate your advice. Maybe I will sell the performer intake I have and look for one of the intakes you recommend. I especi

Look for an Edelbrock RPM at Spring Fling for under $120 used. Last one I bought there was $80. The RPM air gaps go for more money but perform about the same. Would not be much different in your build.

I especially appreciate the cam advice..I am probably still a few months from starting the engine build.

MoparJ in our club runs that cam in a 360. I think there's some others here too.

Hi:

It was good to talk with you yesterday photo! Let me know if there's anything we can do for you.

-
Back