Machining carb pad on intake

-

Reaction score
Im currently running a rpm intake topped with fast tbi injection, I was told that going to a single plane would help a lot with carb signal and reversion. I'm looking at the super victor with injector bosses for multiport injection. My problem is hood clearance, how much can be machined off? And how much ill affect does this have on the intake ?
This is going on a 416 with ported eddies and a 252/242 roller.
Is there other options ?

What style air cleaner are you running? You can get an air cleaner with a drop base that'll give you more hood clearance if you don't already have one. I know that doesn't address your question directly but it's another thing to consider

What style air cleaner are you running? You can get an air cleaner with a drop base that'll give you more hood clearance if you don't already have one. I know that doesn't address your question directly but it's another thing to consider

I have a shaker, I've already cut the base as much as I can and it's even tight with the rpm intake I'm currently running.

I think machining enough off the carburetor pad would have adverse effects on the intake with both performance and strength. You are talking about removing a lot of material to make an appreciable difference. I would look for space another way.

11.2, on Edelbrocks web site, they have manifold height listings and instructions on how they get the heights.

Compare intakes in this fashion. You should also be able to get these measurements from other intake manifold makers sites.

I'm not so sure wacking the top of the intake off is a great idea.

I'm not sure I can help, as I have never had a 416, BUT, I did have a 367 with a Purple 292/508/108 HFT. I didn't like it for street use much but it was a great stick. I had very little trouble tuning it with Eddies, an Airgap and a 750DP.As to reversion, I cannot speak, I didn't notice, even tho that cam boasts 76* of overlap, and I was running about 11.3Scr.So I'm just a little confused about what you may be experiencing.
Oh I get it, I bet you are trying to run a MAP sensor?

I think machining enough off the carburetor pad would have adverse effects on the intake with both performance and strength. You are talking about removing a lot of material to make an appreciable difference. I would look for space another way.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------agree: why not go to a torquer 2 ? sets lower and will work better w/ a throttle body anyway.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------agree: why not go to a torquer 2 ? sets lower and will work better w/ a throttle body anyway.
I thought about that long after Iposted. Some people call them "Lumps" and worthless. I haven't seen a dyno test show me that myself. Just the normal lack of low end torque like every other single plane intake in the world does. To be expected. And looking at his cam .......

Oh I get it, I bet you are trying to run a MAP sensor?
Yes, you are correct

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------agree: why not go to a torquer 2 ? sets lower and will work better w/ a throttle body anyway.

I believe the only intake that has injector bungs is the super Vic

I've never retro-fitted EFI to an automobile. But I have worked on plenty of EFI machines.and
I don't know anything about the Fast system.
But If I had this problem,and the Fast system wouldn't run in Alpha-N mode, then I would be looking at ways to smooth the intake pulses, and/or averaging them out with a damper system,as seen by the MAP sensor.Essentially this is manipulating the signal that the sensor sees.This is like the vacuum damper in a vacuum gauge that is designed to be used on very short ram tubes on hi-rpm sportbikes.These bikes have notoriously low vacuum and it is pulsing wildly under the throttle blades until the rpm gets up around 4000rpm.So a regular,undamped Vacuum gauge will not work. Nor would a Map sensor. These usually run on Alpha-N if injected.
At one time I heard about a company that converted MAF sensors to output a MAP type signal. I don't particularly like MAF systems, but some very smart people continue to use them, to great success.
It seems to me with a TBI system, Alpha-N should work great, but of course,I have no idea what you are trying to achieve. But the idea of lowering the intake pad on a hi-rise single, to accommodate a stock hood would not be on my agenda.
You know; what I did see this one time, was a remote MAP sensor with about 4 feet of small diameter tubing leading up to it. I bet that tubing damped the pulses pretty good! As to it's response time I cannot say......
Perhaps an inline plastic pulse damper.....
IDK

I wouldn't mill the carb pad, but I sure would have a look at it, on any intake.
Have you ever noticed that the carb pad opening/s are almost never sized right on a lot of aluminum intakes?
Spacerrs show it, throw one on and look at the mis match, gaskets too.

You could always lose the biscuits and go straight motor brakets to k member, if you like being "different" har har...

Just had a good conversation with johnny pace, he seems very knowledgeable regarding the latest efi kits. Looks as though the other brands such as fitech and Holley don't require a strong vacuum signal. So in short I won't bother with multiport, just stick with tbi but different brand and keep my intake. The good old easy button!!!!

I'm going to be adding a nitrous plate about 1/2 thick, if I go with the open style would that be enough for equalizing or should I still cut the divider ?

Try keeping the extra plenum area for best fuel atomization.

-
Back