magnaflow mufflers

-

jamesromeos

Reaction score
Anyone running stock manifolds with magnaflow mufflers on a 318? happy with the sound? any video or sound clips? I have always run flowmasters on my cars, Im grown up now and want a cleaner sound out of my car. just picked up a 318 cuda and want to get an idea of what they would sound like on the car. I know video clips dont tell the whole story, but its a start
jim

I just talked with the guy who's going to do my cuda's exhaust and, although I'm not looking to run a magnaflow on it, we did talk about them briefly. In a nutshell, expect drone. I know this is but one guy's opinion but, having run straight-thru cans on my v6 volkswagen...every one of them droned. It was cool at first but quickly became really annoying and remained that way until I finally got rid of them. So to hear from a guy who regularly does V8 cars say the same thing...I'm gonna pass.

doersn`t apply much to your situation, but I put a magnaflow muffler and dual tail pipes on my 02 ram 4.7 quadcab, it drones between 2200-2700. my son has a 2013 megacab hemi w/ the factory muffler replaced w/ a magnaflow,it drones worse than mine I think-about the same rpm. like the sound w/ exception to the drone, and it didn`t help my gas mileage at all, maybe hurt it a hair!----bob

I'd go dynomax I personally never liked magnaflow heard a system on a 5.7L hemi and the exhaust itself was rattling something in the mufflers break loose.

Flow is more important to me than sound. From what i understand, Magnaflow's flow the best.

I'm thinking of putting their stainless steel DIDO with X built in on my F150. Always like the way they sound.

Magnaflows are glasspacks just like any other straight thru mufflers its not rocketscience. the enginecombination and the tubelenghts makes more difference to sound.

A lot of factors come into play with drone. I went thru a whole journey of drone and different mufflers. I started out with an Accurate exhuast system with their chamber performace muffler on my 383 Dart. Had a cam with same lift and duration as stock but twice the overlap and no drone. After the restoration and close to stock cam it droned bad with the same exhaust system and intake. Tried Magnaflows, Dynomax turbos and Dynomax VT mufflers. All droned except the VT's were 12 DB less in level. Killed it with branch resonators. There's a thread here covering my drone journey.

One nice thing about Dynomax is they have a performance guarantee on a number of their mufflers. You don't like it and they will buy it back and have UPS pick it up from your house. I did that with the turbo ones.

I'm thinking about putting the Magnaflows back on now that I have killed the drone. The Dynomax VT's have a valve in them so there is some back pressure from the spring valve verses a striaght thru without the valve.

I'm running magnaflows with a 273 currently and am upgrading to a 360 soon...and plan to keep my magnaflows......love the sound!

I ran 3.5" Magnaflow stainless race mufflers on my 9 second 73 DartSport with an X-pipe, it ran 9.90 with the exhaust system and 9.90 with the exhaust system completely removed from the car. The mufflers sounded great on the street, mild, and ran like open headers at the track. They are quality mufflers.

Attachments

• 100_1762 b.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 261
-
Back