Magnum 360 build. (HP/tq?)

-
Looks like this might be the heads

Mopar EQ Cylinder Heads

Small Block Mopar Magnum Engine Quest Iron Ram heads level 2 ported

For those that want an iron head that delivers serous airflow we offer the iron stealth heads in a level 2 port configuration. This head delivers 290 cfm and is capable of supporting over 600 horsepower. Level 2 porting features a reworked short turn, chamber deshroud, bowl blend, a blending of the valve guide, and the pushrod pinch is reduced on the intake port. The exhaust receives a deep blending from the valve job into the bowl. We also perform a competition valve job on both the intake and the exhaust.

One very important upgrade that we perform as standard practice is to install manganese bronze valve guides in place of the factory iron. This ensures longer guide life and we can run the guide clearance tighter to reduce oil getting past the valve stem. This is an important detail the our competition overlooks.

Features
  • Stock location for headers, valve train, and front end accessories
  • 2.055" stainless intake and 1.625" stainless exhaust valves
  • valve spring 125# seat 315# open @ .575 lift max
  • 8mm valve stems
  • 172 cc intake runners and 72 cc exhaust runner
  • 62cc combustion chamber
  • Ductile iron exhaust seat to reduce cracking
  • Manganese bronze valve guides
1688374599721.png

comp, .480/.480 hydraulic roller cam, Dodge 360 - Google Search

Probably This cam

Stock 5.9l short block Makes

350 hp at 5000 rpm
367 tq at 5000 rpm 88% of peak tq
417 tq peak at about 3700 rpm 1.16 lbs-ft per cid

Add for Cr and head flow.
Possibly more cam.

Love the video, I do t like the cam even though it did well.
Food for thought on having cam lift only as below is a .480 lift only example.

Hydraulic Roller Camshaft; 1992 - 2002 Chrysler 5.2L - 5.9L Magnum 800 to 5000 Howards Cams 770225-14 | Howards Cams

See what I’m saying?

There is also Comp Cam’s #20-624-9 & 20-744-9, 20-608-9 with a .480/.480 lift.

Now we have a total of 3 cams to choose from with .480 lift on both sides. Hummmmmmmm

More assumptions…… Daaaaaaaaaaang!

You did say probably “This cam.” Above. :eek: -:poke:

The thing is you keep on pushing to be right and it’s hilarious for sure. Take a break from the beatings you like to receive. Neither one of seem to be sleeping tonight.

Hey! For chits and giggles, I opened up the Lunati book. They don’t like to be out done so they went to a .485 lift and guess what, these guyz have 4 - .485 cams in a hyd roller flavor!
L-M-A-O!!!!

They’re the same but 2 for a mechanical pump, 2 for an electric fuel pump. Same cams really.
IMG_0758.jpeg

You all fell for it. Another “what do you guess is my HP because I can’t / won’t pay for a dyno to actually see what it will do.”

Lots of heated debate over a few pictures and some cam numbers. Good grief.

Wow, sorry fella's... That was a tough read, lol
To clear some things up, I was looking for "educated" guesses... I'm no rookie at this, but I have allot to learn as well.
What I failed to mention, on purpose mind you, is that this motor is built for my 99 2500 Ram. I tow with it, it has 34" tires and 4.10 Dana 60's front and back....

Screenshot_20230703-073620.png

You all fell for it. Another “what do you guess is my HP because I can’t / won’t pay for a dyno to actually see what it will do.”

Lots of heated debate over a few pictures and some cam numbers. Good grief.
Not that I can't pay for it, kinda of rude to ***-u-me, lol.. it's going in my truck, just curious what to expect...
It's not a trap, just a late evening ?

Do you have a part number for the pistons? The compression ratio given by piston manufacturers is based on a lot of assumptions. You need cylinder head chamber volume, head gasket thickness and bore diameter, and distance below deck when the pistons are at TDC to get an accurate compression ratio.

I think that cam will work great in a heavier truck application but I doubt your peak HP will be much over 400. It'll pull like a beast from right off idle though, very flat torque curve. I'd kind of hope your actual static compression is more in the 9.5:1 range as that'll be making quite a bit of cylinder pressure in the lower revs and it'll be under a good amount of load moving that truck around. 4.10 gears were definitely a good choice. I'd also run a 180-degree thermostat and a proper cold-air intake, NOT an open-element air cleaner! lol. Premium fuel will be a necessity. It'll have EFI right? Electronic ignition timing control as well, I hope?

Fresh rotating assembly. Fully balanced, Stock stroke, +.30 pistons rated 10.5-1 comp, .480/.480 hydraulic roller cam, PIE level 2 heads w/2.05 int valves, and the M1 Mopar Performance 4bbl intake... All in all, about $6k lol!
Just wondering what kind of horsepower and torque you guys think I'm looking at?

View attachment 1716109721

View attachment 1716109723

View attachment 1716109724

probably around 380-390 ish HP and 400-415 torque.

check the inner bolts holes on the carb mounting surface on the M1. Mopar drilled mine too deep and they went right into the intake runner, = vacuum leaks.

you didn’t ask, but it might be easier to run traditional timing cover for rad hose locations, water pump drive direction and ancillary hook ups? Unless you’ve planned for the magnum style serpentine system?

Thats a lot of cylinder head for a small cam did you calculate CR and DCR ?
You're definitely not gonna run out of breathing from that head. It's a little hard to judge it's a bit of an odd combo the cam probably will peak around 5000-5250 rpm maybe higher cause of head and intake So 375 hp @ 5000 rpm to 394 hp @ 5252 rpm.

Last edited:
maybe a little more, realistically.
Depends on the 440/engine, mainly it's about tq per cid and that depends a lot on Cr and VE%

Here's a turd of a 440

347 hp @ 4700 rpm
388 tq @ 4700 rpm 88% of peak tq
443 tq @ 3400 rpm 1 tq per cid

443 x .9 x 4700 / 5252 = 357 hp

Depends on the 440/engine, mainly it's about tq per cid and that depends a lot on Cr and VE%

Here's a turd of a 440

347 hp @ 4700 rpm
388 tq @ 4700 rpm 88% of peak tq
443 tq @ 3400 rpm 1 tq per cid

443 x .9 x 4700 / 5252 = 357 hp

Lets say 68 -70 440 magnum or 6 pack version.

Whatever you guess your way I'll guess mine, Steve Brulé of engine masters uses the same basic formula, 1.125 x cid x rpm / 5252 = hp. No offence but I'll take his dyno experience over yours.

273 you have to be the biggest YouTube quoting, book smart, cut copy and paste guy I’ve ever seen. Have you personally ever done any testing yourself??? Do you race and if so how fast have you gone??? Please post some pictures of you cars.

Lets say 68 -70 440 magnum or 6 pack version.
it's probably making peak hp around 5000 rpm with high 400 tq, 480-490 say 484 tq witch is 1.1 tq per cid, 484 x .9 x 5000 / 5252 = 415 hp

What rpm do you think peak hp will happen at?

Say 5500 rpm you can kind of figure it out, an average guy build is gonna make 1.15 to 1.25 lbs-ft per cid so say 1.2 average x cid = 438 peak tq.

tq at peak hp averages 90% of peak tq so 394 tq x 5500 rpm / 5252 = 413 hp @ 5500 and 438 tq around 1000-1500 rpms lower.
Your first guess with a ton of assumptions & then below…..
Thats a lot of cylinder head for a small cam did you calculate CR and DCR ?
You're definitely not gonna run out of breathing from that head. It's a little hard to judge it's a bit of an odd combo the cam probably will peak around 5000-5250 rpm maybe higher cause of head and intake So 375 hp @ 5000 rpm to 394 hp @ 5252 rpm.
With some good information to make a much better educated guess.
You'll be fine, just don't use math or at least show you're work lol :)
Now you should show the math with cam and head flow numbers to the conclusion. It’s a big difference from the crappy first guess to the second more informed calculation. Look at the difference.

1st - 438 Tq. - 413 HP
2nd - 394 Tq., - 375HP

Big difference I’d say! First reply you look like a clown, second reply almost has some credibility.

One day when you actually start building your own engines and test them on the dyno and against the track, besides being super disappointed in the results on the dyno and again at the track, is what I’d bet you’ll feel.

I look forwards to you actually doing something instead of bringing up everyone else’s work as proof you know what your talking about.

But you don’t know what you’re talking about most of the time.
Trust me! (I know that’ll be really hard for you to do, BUT!)
You don’t know what your talking about.

273 you have to be the biggest YouTube quoting, book smart, cut copy and paste guy I’ve ever seen. Have you personally ever done any testing yourself??? Do you race and if so how fast have you gone??? Please post some pictures of you cars.
And the engines you have built! I’m not talking about machine work itself! But everything else that goes with it.

-
Back