magnum 360 into a 74 duster that had a slant 6

-

Eric Mulay

Reaction score
i have looked through lots of the threads, some of the questions are unclear. hope someone could answer these ..

1. running a mechanical fuel pump. does this work with the extra part to bolt onto the cam.?

2. HEI style all in one distributor.. will it fit and no clearance issues on the firewall?

3. 727 instead of a 904 . what flex plate do i need?

4. Headers, what ones fit? I have not found any specifically for a fit

Last edited:
i have looked through lots of the threads, some of the questions are unclear. hope someone could answer these ..
Welcome aboard.

1. running a mechanical fuel pump. does this work with the extra part to bolt onto the cam.?

On a Magnum, you’ll need an adapter from Hughesengines.

2. HEI style all in one distributor.. will it fit and no clearance issues on the firewall?

HEI? As in a GM/Chevy unit? I’m not 100% sure on that but I have run some ready to run MSD and the like units.

3. 727 instead of a 904 . what flex plate do i need?
You can go to Summit Racing and run through there search engine and just keep selecting from the left side bar until you get to the part you need. I have one but not handy. The flex plate is from B&M. Pay attention to the balance listed because the 360 LA has a different balance than the 5.9.

4. Headers, what ones fit? I have not found any specifically for a fit[/QUOTE]

Any header listed or an 8 cylinder from the cheap Summit headers to the most expensive ones you can find.

Use a factory stock flex plate that came on a 5.9 Magnum equipped truck that had a 46RE transmission in it. A 46RE is basically a 727 with internal differences and an OD unit stuck on the end of it. You will have to make one converter to flex plate bolt hole oblong, so the 727 converter will bolt up.

I have looked at that.
I ll be honest.
I dont know squat about magnums.
I used to use mopar stuff for demolition derby. .
Now my son and i are building this duster with the magnum and i need to gather parts.
I kinda wanna get the parts right the first time.
I appreciate the answers

I was going to put a good sounding cam in.. .. Not sure on that either.
Im now for 10 years a chevy guy just because the transmission was more reliable than the 727.
So.. I just forgot everything. Thank you for the patience and responses

Hi Eric...and welcome. Great to have you here.
Lots of great info on magnum swap.
As far as headers go Doug’s, TTI and Schumachers are prob the best bets on fitment. How much are you looking to spend becomes the real question. Lots of threads here on all of these. Again some questions relative to this would be power or manual steering? Stock torsion bar suspension? Already have the 727 so floor or column shift? Are you looking for long tube or something else?
Would you plan on using the magnum or LA water pump and pully system? All of this is relavent.
I’ve personally never heard of an HEI distributor fitting without issues on a small block but an HEI conversion works very easily with the stand alone 4 pin and mopar electronic distributor. Again lots of threads here on this.
This site is like a cornucopia of info so dig in.
Love to see some pics.

Well, if you don’t want to do stock linkages, look to a Lokar set up.
Ew transmission lines are easy to get. FWIW, I did mine in stainless steel. It’ll last long after your dead.

Additional Stuff for a Magnum: DUI Ignitions has a very small, hi quality distributor. If you order all the pieces from them you will have one source for any possible warranty. (Plug wires, Distributor, Rotary button and Dist cap, 50,000 volt Coil.
As for the water pump assembly: I used the complete serpentine set up; includes the water pump, A/C compressor, alt, and tensioner. (Uses one factory bracket from a Magnum powered Gen 2 Dakota. Pictures of my set up are posted in "photo Garage" under Triumphman.

One additional comment on running a mechanical fuel pump: in addition to running the eccentric adapter from Hughes, you'll need the entire timing cover/water pump/pulleys/accessory brackets from an LA motor. Magnum covers have no provision to mount the pump. If you have a late magnum with the single piece balancer & pulley, you'll need to swap to the earlier magnum one with the separate balancer/pulley to enable you to run the LA crank pulley. It's the "domino effect"...
P.S.- Dick Harrell used to run a Chrysler 727 behind the Chebby big block in his funny cars, 'cause he couldn't keep the TH400s in one piece... :)

A 12 volt electric fuel pump offered by a few suppliers works great. They are small and Not a major install. Uses one 12 volt wire and a ground. Look them up in summit and Jeggs. Been running mine for a couple of years. No issues.

One additional comment on running a mechanical fuel pump: in addition to running the eccentric adapter from Hughes, you'll need the entire timing cover/water pump/pulleys/accessory brackets from an LA motor. Magnum covers have no provision to mount the pump. If you have a late magnum with the single piece balancer & pulley, you'll need to swap to the earlier magnum one with the separate balancer/pulley to enable you to run the LA crank pulley. It's the "domino effect"...
P.S.- Dick Harrell used to run a Chrysler 727 behind the Chebby big block in his funny cars, 'cause he couldn't keep the TH400s in one piece... :)

i have all those parts, thanks

mine had a 2 piece balancer on the front. so im good on that

Use a factory stock flex plate that came on a 5.9 Magnum equipped truck that had a 46RE transmission in it. A 46RE is basically a 727 with internal differences and an OD unit stuck on the end of it. You will have to make one converter to flex plate bolt hole oblong, so the 727 converter will bolt up.

So do i use a weighted converter?
Some people say no weight.
My transmission guy says it should be a 91 gram weighted one..

5.9 Magnums used a weighted flexplate instead of weights on the convertor. Use a neutral convertor on the 5.9 flexplate as JD stated.

Ok.. Then why does the book for a 95 dodge 1500 call for a 91 gram weighted converter?
It can be done either way. You can use a neutral balanced converter with a stock magnum weighted flex plate which is def the preferred and easiest method or you can use a weighted converter with a neutral balance flex plate. I’ve done it both ways and find it much simpler using the stock magnum weighted flex plate. There’s no guess work in weights and no vibration issues this way, imho.

Ok.. Then why does the book for a 95 dodge 1500 call for a 91 gram weighted converter?
'95 Magnum? Didn't see you mention that before. I have heard that the '93-'95 5.9s (OBD1) did use a neutral flexplate and placed the weights onthe convertor, and '96 and later (OBD2) used a weighted flexplate and neutral convertor; the 5.9s I've built were all post '96, so the book MAY be right for a '95 factory setup, I've just never dealt with those years. Just make darn sure you use the right flexplate if you're going to mix'n'match your assembly.

Not trying to throw a wrench in the works; when I began building my Magnum 5.9( now 408) I used my stock flex plate from my 75 Swinger w/318.
Been working fine for over 4 years. If I knew I could use the plate from the Magnum, I would have. I run a Modified 904 w/ 2,800 to 3,000 custom built torque converter.

Not trying to throw a wrench in the works; when I began building my Magnum 5.9( now 408) I used my stock flex plate from my 75 Swinger w/318.
Been working fine for over 4 years. If I knew I could use the plate from the Magnum, I would have. I run a Modified 904 w/ 2,800 to 3,000 custom built torque converter.
I guess it depends how your 408 was balanced- if it was internally balanced you're fine with the 318 flexplate and a neutral convertor. My advice was for a stock 5.9.

'95 Magnum? Didn't see you mention that before. I have heard that the '93-'95 5.9s (OBD1) did use a neutral flexplate and placed the weights onthe convertor, and '96 and later (OBD2) used a weighted flexplate and neutral convertor; the 5.9s I've built were all post '96, so the book MAY be right for a '95 factory setup, I've just never dealt with those years. Just make darn sure you use the right flexplate if you're going to mix'n'match your assembly.
I 100% do have a weighted flex plate

-
Back