Magnum 360

-
In stock form would a 98 360 mag have much more performance advantage over its LA brother. Thanks. Kim
yep, better heads, compression mainly. Roller cam too, but the late LA 360's had roller cams, and pretty decent heads in the 308's also. Put a 4bbl intake and carb on top of each and the magnum should win everytime

Slightly, yes, nothing to whoop and howl about. The Magnums have a hair bit more compression, the head advantage is slight, maybe a bit more noticeable if you compare it to a mid 70's mill.
And of course the roller cam and 1.6 rockers.

Whatcha thinking about? A lot depends on what and how you equip it over the OE set up. On my 5.9, I just added some bolt on parts for now.

RPM intake
650 Edelbrock AVS
1-3/4 - 2-1/2 exhaust
MP chrome box
vacuum advance distributor
Im waiting on funds for a cam & converter.
It is a 360/380 create engine copy. Except for the small carb (for now) & the RPM intake which will stay.

If you look at the roller 360 vs magnum think there's about a 30-40 hp difference.

Since the stock cams are about the same I'm guessing the power comes from the heads.

I like to see a shout out between them stock long block with same cam and intake see if there is a real difference.

It seems like the stock magnum heads have advantage until you start porting.

@273
It seems like the stock magnum heads have advantage until you start porting.
[\QUOTE]
IMO, for the street, if you can get 250 cfm out of the stock head, ported, you'll do fine for power. Even more so if low lift is well improved.

The replacement iron head is an excellent move for a street, street/strip engine.

Real world comparison, my dad has a stock 360 power wagon, 4-speed, 3.55 gears,
I have the same truck, with the same power train, except I changed the motor for a 360 mag last year.
There is night and day difference between the two trucks, the mag will pull way harder than the la, and get the same gas mileage.

I would agree with the Magnum over LA, no question. When I bought my 2000 5.9 2wd short bed, the first thing I thought was, this thing pulls better than the older 360 4bbl D100's I'd driven, and it's about 600 lbs. heavier. Also, FWIW, before that I bought a new '89 Shelby Dakota, LA 318 TBI, 3.9 rear gear. "It goes OK" I thought. A few years later, my brother bought a Magnum 318 Dakota, 3.5 rear gear. Jeez, he would just start walkin' away after about 50 mph.

-
Back