Magnum 5.9 help

-

Kar

Reaction score
Help me out guys, just a Ford guy trying to figure this Mopar thing out.

I am looking at putting a 5.9 Magnum motor from a 99 Ram into an early "A" body, I plan on using the complete front end set-up from the Magnum (serpentine, with ALT, PS, AC). Re-drill the heads for a LA intake.

Where I am confused,is the motor balance, can I use the 99 Ram Magnum balancer, and flex plate, with my 904 trans and neutral balance TQ converter? I know the converter must have the later model snout to fit the crank.

The Fords get a little tricky making sure you use the right number teeth (dia) flexplate, is that a problem with the Mopar.

Thanks

^^^it's a great site. And don't bother with redrillin the heads, some intakes like edelbrock's and certain crosswind products are already drilled for dual bolt patterns so just get one of those!

Mopar also makes a single and duel plane intakes that bolt right on.

I guess i need to give the guys at Magnumswap.com a call, because i am still a little confused on the flexplate and tq converter.

Thanks for the input.

Help me out guys, just a Ford guy trying to figure this Mopar thing out.

I am looking at putting a 5.9 Magnum motor from a 99 Ram into an early "A" body, I plan on using the complete front end set-up from the Magnum (serpentine, with ALT, PS, AC). Re-drill the heads for a LA intake.

Where I am confused,is the motor balance, can I use the 99 Ram Magnum balancer, and flex plate, with my 904 trans and neutral balance TQ converter? I know the converter must have the later model snout to fit the crank.

The Fords get a little tricky making sure you use the right number teeth (dia) flexplate, is that a problem with the Mopar.

Thanks

It was my understanding that the 96 and up stock magnum flexplate was weighted externally versus 95 down magnum weighted at the converter.......
so youre 99 stocker should work on a neutral balance converter

as far as the stock balanacer I cant tell you as I put and aftermarket balancer so i could use the 70 LA front end

The 360's converter must be from the same trans in order to fit the one you have. OR read as, "A 727/518 converter will not fit into the 904/500 trans.)

If that 360 you have now had a 727/518 behind it to start with, then that is the trans to use or get for the car.
If you have a 904/500 trans, you will need a neutral balance converter and a B&M flex plate to mate the external balance engine to the neutral balanced converter.

I do not know if the smaller 904/500 trans was connected to the 360 with a external balanced converter. I do not think this was done at the factory.

Use the OEM magnum harmonic balancer and the magnum flexplate. Elongate one hole on the flexplate to fit the 904 neutral balance converter. You may have to grind the block just above the oil pan rail driverside rear for the mini starter to clear. I also had to grind the center pad engine mount on the driver side for the summit headers to clear. I used a mopar M1 dual plane and modified the stock LA V8 throttle valve linkage to work. The passenger side engine to tranny lower brace bolts on, I had to extend the driver brace to fit. It's best to mock up everything before installing in the car.

You have to chop the serpentine brace and a corner of the A/C compressor. Check my build thread. It's ugly. Your best bet is to use the Edelbrock Magnum intake and call it a day.

Another helpful point is to use a PS pump from a Ram van, it's tighter to block so you don't have to chop the battery tray.

Don't forget to swap your inverted flare fitting from the back of your old PS pump.

B&M doesn't make a 360 mag to 904 flexplate anymore. They are getting really hard to find. The elongation of the hole is not a problem and will work well.

-
Back