Magnum block into Duster

-

Smittysduster

Reaction score
I have a 72 duster with a worn out 318 in it and I also have an 01 ram 1500 with a 5.9 magnum small block. The rear end on my 1500 recently gave out and instead of replacing it, I just got a new truck. I'm wondering if I could put my 5.9 magnum block into my duster and how much fab/work it would require. Also wondering what I would have to do with the rest of the power train too. Any help?

Its not much different than just putting in an LA 360,
few quirks but nothing major. With out much work you can use the fuel injection. With a tunnel brace trim, you can run the auto trans and injection.

PM me if you have any questions, I have done tons of them. You can also look me up on the web.

No brainer! Just swapped in a rebuilt 5.9 into my Duster, all the accessories from an LA swap over, get either a Magnum intake or drill the heads for LA intake, or new Iron Rams which is what I did from Hughes so I could re-use my Eddy Air Gap. Just make sure you use a neutral balanced convertor and correct weighted flex plate, that's the only tricker part. Even LA valve covers will bolt up. Love the Magnums, roller cams, better heads all good stuff! Mines a stock stroke about 9.2-1 compression with thinner head gasket from scramspeed and a Hughes cam and it rips!

No brainer! Just swapped in a rebuilt 5.9 into my Duster, all the accessories from an LA swap over, get either a Magnum intake or drill the heads for LA intake, or new Iron Rams which is what I did from Hughes so I could re-use my Eddy Air Gap. Just make sure you use a neutral balanced convertor and correct weighted flex plate, that's the only tricker part. Even LA valve covers will bolt up. Love the Magnums, roller cams, better heads all good stuff! Mines a stock stroke about 9.2-1 compression with thinner head gasket from scramspeed and a Hughes cam and it rips!

Did you use an old torqueflite or did you use the trans that came with the 5.9? I read somewhere you had to make additional fab changes to fit the trans in a duster.

-
Back