magnum cam extension from hughes?

-

63dartman

Reaction score
I am getting ready to assemble my 360 and I need to make a choice about fuel delivery. I was running a carter high volume mechanical pump previously and the new cam has the short snout so I would have to run an electric pump.
Hughes sells a snout extender to run a mechanical pump but I am not sure if it is the best route to go. http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/...KQ==&level2=TWlzY2VsbGFuZW91cw==&partid=22194

I was thinking about this fuel pump

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performa.../10002/-1?parentProductId=1558861#moreDetails

just for the quiet. I had a holley red pump on my car once and removed it because it was just too noisy.

Not sure which way to go with this. Any help would be appreciated. thanks

I always like the Carter electric pumps... Quiet, cheap, long lived, no regulator, and plenty of volume (even for a big block with 150hp NOS plate).

Had you bought the cam from crower they would have left the snout on it for you. Only reason i know is i order a cam from them for the 360 magnum that has the roller lifters. Isky want another $100 for the same thing

I am getting ready to assemble my 360 and I need to make a choice about fuel delivery. I was running a carter high volume mechanical pump previously and the new cam has the short snout so I would have to run an electric pump.
Hughes sells a snout extender to run a mechanical pump but I am not sure if it is the best route to go. http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/...KQ==&level2=TWlzY2VsbGFuZW91cw==&partid=22194

I was thinking about this fuel pump

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performa.../10002/-1?parentProductId=1558861#moreDetails

just for the quiet. I had a holley red pump on my car once and removed it because it was just too noisy.

Not sure which way to go with this. Any help would be appreciated. thanks
holley red pump mounted on some good urethane would be my recomendation

I am using the old cam until I can get some better heads to support a more agressive cam. Moper do you have a link to the carter pump? I saw that jegs offers a few different carter pumps and I want the quietest low pressure pump I can find.

run the extension, moly coated eccentric and a Hemi style mechanical pump. Hate the noise of a electric

Mrhemi, Have you used that combo? Did it stay together? I saw a post where a guy had nothing but trouble with it. I am guessing he didn't follow the instructions.

Here you go '63

GP4070 - It's the 7psi one. They come with bushings for the bracket and it's pretty quiet. Definately quieter than a Holley. Another thought is a small peice of rubber... like tire tread or something. I've used horse stall matting material too betweeen the pumps and the car body. So long as the bolts and pump is isolated, most of the noise is gone.

I used that same extension on a 98 magnum 318 that I put in my 79 Dodge pickup, its my daily driver, prob has 40,000 miles on it since.. aint no way I would want an electric pump on there, I like the 20 dollar parts store mechanical pump, and if it fails there is one on every parts store shelf anywhere you go!

I used the Hughes extender on my 360 Magnum build. Many miles and many hard passes down the 1/4 mile with no issues. Mechanical is the way to go unless it is track-only. By the way that Hughes cam really woke up an otherwise stock motor. They know their stuff.

Thanks for all the replies. I was really leaning towards the extension with the mechanical pump and now that I know it works I will be using it. Thanks again:)

Looks exactly like the edelbrock pump I have for my carbed 360 magnum (I use the stock timing cover and modified the serpentine setup to drive only the Ram alternator and water pump). You can hear it when ignition is on, but it's not too bad (I can't compare, haven't heard any other electric fuel pump). With the engine running, can't hear it at all. I like the fact that you don't need a regulator.

Sorry to hijack..., but, I need some help with this one-I bought these same parts from Hughes-the snout extender and the moly coated eccentric and can't get them to play nice. I'm using a '98 5.2 Magnum, stock cam, and a autozone replacement timing set (#73089), and no matter how I configure the pieces, I can't get it to secure correctly. The instructions say to machine off 0.100" unless you offset the keyway in the retainer, but if I do that, the timing gear moves back and forth on the cam, and it's not like I have a machinist at my beckon call. The biggest problem I think I have is with the timing gear, but I can't compare it to the old one as it was lost or thrown away during a move when I was deployed last year, so I really have no idea what's wrong with what I'm doing.

I ordered the parts and then it turned out my cam had the snout on it -LOL.

I distinctly remember that assembly was NOT intuitive.

Did you get this kit?

thumbnail.php

http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/...&search=snout&searchmode=keyword&partid=22194

I'm sorry as this is vague, but I think with the above kit, the smaller piece goes inside of the bigger the opposite of the way you'd think? Or maybe the key mounts upside down so you dont use the step? Or maybe they stack instead of one installing inside the other? A diagram would go a long way.

As you probably already know, they have this pic, but it is less than intuitive.

hug7013a.jpg

I had it set up to work with the short snout, eccentric and didn't need to machine anything.
The short version is I'd try it a couple different ways. It's been four or five years and I'm not getting any younger.

Or this one?

hug7011b.jpg

http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/...NS4yLzUuOSk=&level1=RmFzdGVuZXJz&partid=11253

If you can't get it, I recommend calling Hughes. That's what ended up straightening me out.

I hope this helps you.

As a side note: if anyone wants to run an electric pump and they want one that is quiet, try this.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MAA-4110/

yeah, its a lot more money than the Holley deal. But it is silent. Also, unlike the old Holley Blue, it is mega reliable. Ground it good and it will last forever. A buddy of mine has one that's been used since 1990 and its still going strong.

I've got the horrible sounding Holley on one of my cars (hey-it came with it!) and its getting junked this year in favor of the Mallory.

I have the first picture kit-part number 7013-the third picture is part 7011, and can be used in conjunction with 7013-but 7011 bears a rather similar appearance to the cupped and keyed retainer in 7013, which I already have. I did finagle with that cursed little assembly for the better part of an hour believing, surely-I'd done something incorrectly or completely missed something. I used a stock replacement timing chain set for a Magnum (and I checked a standard LA timing set against it-no difference in drive hub thickness), assembled the s*** just as the second picture illustrates. The snout extension seems to go on as intended (beveled side in), and the offset ground key slightly engages the timing gear as intended. But, the cup washer or retainer or whatever the hell it is, if I put it over the extension with the key engaged in the slot I can get it to tighten down with one caveat...before I install the bolt, I can see about an 1/8" gap (possibly more) between the end of the extension piece, and the flat of the retainer/washer...this means to me there is likely a time where that extension will wander away from the cam snout and back into the retainer. As soon as that happens, the key will drop out of engagement with the timing gear and allow the eccentric to spin and tear up all kinds of s*** inside the timing cover.

I greatly appreciate your assist...I guess I'll have to buy ANOTHER $15 hunk of metal to make it work, or ask some machine shop to bend me over for an hours labor to knock off .100" off the end of that washer.

...as a sidenote, I did call Hughes...the gentleman who attempted to help me just basically recited the same thing I'd already tried and said if the instructions state I'd have to machine off some, then that's what would have to be done...

After a $30 expenditure at a local machine shop, 0.100" was removed and everything fits as intended...total cost for a $26 parts kit, $56...

Should have called crower cams and they would have made a cam for you with the snout

looked at hughes website this morning and now they have an actual pic of how it all goes together.

They require you to machine the outer collar isn't the best thing in the world.

What they should do is set up the CNC to cut that with 4-5 varying depths so the customer doesn't have to remachine stuff. I took a square file to mine, making a fresh keyway at the required depth.

Another thing that may make things better is to pull the woodruff key from the camshaft and square the end which that smaller key butts against.

I too did the WTF is this look and how does it go together.

Should have called crower cams and they would have made a cam for you with the snout

And they would've charged me $300 for it too-no thanks. Knowing the path I took was the least expensive is a slight relief, but I'm still pissed about having to waste more time having to wait for the machinist to process the part when it should be ready to go when you buy it...

looked at hughes website this morning and now they have an actual pic of how it all goes together

Odd...I tried it that way before taking it to the machinist-didn't work...key kept slipping out of the groove in the cam gear because the cup washer keyway was too deep-thus the requisite machining. Perhaps they started turning them out already the correct depth. What's really odd about this picture is that the fella I spoke to at Hughes said the beveled side went toward the cam snout...might have to revisit this detail...again :banghead:

-
Back