Magnum engine's got a tapping sound....

-

sharpie

workin' stiff
Reaction score
Is a tapping sound normal? I've checked rocker arm torque, and there doesn't seem to be any preload (.000"), but I still have this pretty fast tapping. I don't even know where to start looking. It's kind of quiet, but very fast; probably a similar speed to the RPM. Would a lifter tick be that fast? What else could I look for? I've re-tightened the header bolts, too.

On the same subject, if anyone in the Sacramento, CA area would be willing to help me diagnose it, I'd much appreciate it. PM me and we can set up a time to meet up and take a look/listen.

Thanks in advance for any info.

My Magnum has a tick also, let's see if anyone else post the same, or what to look for.

Mine has always had it, and it is a fresh build 408 (less then 1000 miles). I am also running a double roller chain, so that could make it a little loud, but I don't think tick.

Is this a complete magnum or a magnum headed LA - stock motor or mods mine does not tick

If you're running the Mag with the factory fuel injection, it could be the injectors you hear....at least thats what a Dodge mechanic told me.

Mine's a full Magnum motor. The valvetrain was used. I bent a pushrod as a result of a sheared rocker bolt, and I put in two new pushrods. They're exactly the same size as the stock pushrods. The lifter under the bent pushrod seemed okay, but I only tested it by pushing on it with the pushrod. It had no play. Is there any other way to check a lifter while it's in the head?

Dads ram does this at start up,about 3 seconds or so always assumed it to be
the lifters pumping up.

Use a steth or large screwdriver and listen to it across the valve cover. if its a valvetrain issue they usually echo pretty good under the cover. also are you sure its not an exhaust leak? grab a hose or hard line and check around the flange.

not positive. How should I check? I've been up and down that engine bay with my ear close to the valve cover and header flange and can't hear anything.

Run your hand around the mounting flange for your headers/manifolds and where they bolt to the pipes at the collector. Just try not to burn yourself!

Well it's not a header leak. Definitely mechanical and you hear it when you put your ear to the intake. I took a hopefully good sound byte and will have it up later tonight. There seems to be a miss too; I have to time it. Would off-timing cause a mechanical tap?

I listened to the audio clip and it sounds like valve train noise alright. I'd pull the valve covers and see if any lifters are collapsed. You'll be able to tell that easily if there's any pushrods real loose, i.e. no preload. If any crud got into the system and went into a lifter it can clog it up and cause it to not pump up.

BTW: Your positive the new pushrods are the same length as the old ones, right?

the magnum in my ram has a tick when start up then goes away after a few seconds. i dumped some seafoam in with the oil and it went away all together.

I listened to the audio clip and it sounds like valve train noise alright. I'd pull the valve covers and see if any lifters are collapsed. You'll be able to tell that easily if there's any pushrods real loose, i.e. no preload. If any crud got into the system and went into a lifter it can clog it up and cause it to not pump up.

BTW: Your positive the new pushrods are the same length as the old ones, right?

as far as my calipers could tell they were within .010", though they aren't really that good, the calipers.

I'll pull the valve covers tomorrow.

my carburated 380 hp crate motor has had a light tick since new. everything else is fine, oil pressure etc., but its always had a light tick on passenger side when warmed up.

is the noise on the same side that the push rods where replaced?

that's the thing, I can't tell. I hear it on both sides pretty well, maybe a little better on the opposite side that the pushrod was replaced. Where I hear it real good is when I get my ear near the intake.

I also should mention that this tick comes around when it's cold and doesn't go away when it's warm. It is an old-fashioned all-the-time tick.

Just reaching out there but are you sure that the push rods where hollow with holes for oiling on each side. I've seen that cause a tick before

definitely hollow. I made sure of that even before I took them out of the parts store.

So I ran it without valve covers off. On the driver's side, the valvetrain is noisy, but on what seems to be all of the rockers. On the passenger's side, the valvetrain is dead silent. Should I be hearing noise from my valvetrain? Remember, these are supposed to be zero-lashed.

-
Back