Magnum exhaust manifold question?

-

dwhip361

Reaction score
Hey guys, I want to try to use the Magnum manifolds for a turbo setup. The question I have is are the maifolds cast iron or steel. I see that the chevy LS guys are able to weld theirs and say they are cast steel not iron. Anyone know about the magnums? Thanks

Hey guys, I want to try to use the Magnum manifolds for a turbo setup. The question I have is are the maifolds cast iron or steel. I see that the chevy LS guys are able to weld theirs and say they are cast steel not iron. Anyone know about the magnums? Thanks

What year?? The older magnum manifolds (90s) are cast iron. The newer ones are steel (I think). Just look up the year of exhaust manifold you're looking for on ebay and you'll see the difference.

Treblig

I actually thought about trying to adapt some Chev manifolds. The tube spacing is pretty much exact. years ago, I had "Jeep swap" chev headers on my old Landcruiser with a SB Mopar. I got an old pair of rusty Hedmans, cut the tubes off, and used the flanges welded them to the Chev Jeep swap headers.

Also, you can braze cast iron, and if done right it's pretty strong

as far as I know, they are cast iron. If you are an expert welder with high nickel rod, you might be able to weld one successfully but that is almost a lost science these days. Get some good quality headers like Dougs in raw steel, the better flow #'s will help with greater exhaust flow needs.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o98t_UyTZfs"]Exhaust Manifold Welding - YouTube[/ame]

Thanks for the help, I was hoping that if I needed to modify or add some additional steel pipe to them, I could.

-
Back