Magnum exhaust manifolds

-

gliderider06

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
My 87 Ramcharger exhaust is on it's last legs and I was thinking of putting duals on from the manifolds back. I do know that 93 Ramchargers had the Magnum engines W/ the manifolds. They are supposed to flow better than the LA type manifolds and i figure that maybe I can pick up a few HP and milage by swapping them out. Are all the Magnum manifolds the same (other than outlet size)? Would the swap be worth the aggervation, work, expense etc... Should I forego the manifolds, install headers (long tube or tight tube) or run the duals from the stock manifolds?
This is a stock 87 Ramcharger 4wd, 318 2bbl. I am trying to make it get the best power and milage I can out of a bone stock truck.
Thanks!

Dunno if ALL the magnum manifolds are the same but I believe they used the same ones on 318 and 360 full size pickup trucks. They are supposed to flow much better than the LA mannies. I say use them if you have them. Headers are ALWAYS a pain in the a$$ and look like crap a year or two. Put the Magnum manifolds on and forget about it for a few decades.

C

There is a dyno comparison of the different types of manifolds and short and long tube headers on a mild 360
Long tube headers obviously produced the best results.
To me the difference in the rest didn't matter much about 5 horsepower between 318 manifolds and the short tube.
If I remember right the best manifolds was one 340 and one magnum. In your case you'd be lucky to see 2 hp

Non-Jeep magnum manifolds are basically the same. The early ones will accept a 2 1/4" down tube. Obviously the outlets are in a different location than your center dumps but if you're redoing the whole exhaust it really doesn't matter.

Will you notice a difference? Yes, but a lot of that will be from the dual exhaust. The magnum manifolds will support a mild 318 just fine, and when you decide to use that BBD for target practice, you'll have plenty of exhaust to support a 4 Bbl.

-
Back