Magnum head porting, worth the cost and effort without cam swap?

-

Backtobasics

Reaction score
Long story made short.

My 97 Ram 5.2 started knocking, main bearings. After we pulled it out, and started disassembly, I find one of the cam lobes is starting to be bad. Either the cam has some casting issues, or it has worn through whatever surface hardening treatment. Roller lifter is fine.

Weighing cost of crank kit, gaskets, cam, etc, I opted to buy a complete used engine from wrecked truck (I saw truck it came out of, it had been stuffed into highway barrier).

Using the new engine, and stock cam that is in the new engine, would I see enough of a HP and TQ gain to warrant porting the heads from the other engine, and what kind of gains would you expect?

I am kind of weighing the power per dollar figure here. I don't have a ton to spend, as I am also going to get flywheel turned, and new clutch while I am at it. I can spend the time to P & P, but I am not sure if I can justify an additional 80-100 bucks for the gaskets to swap heads, if it is not going to give me extra HP and TQ, plus possible efficiency gains?

I already have the upper intake set, which was about 20 bucks that I could return to offset the headgasket set and head bolts, which will run about which will run about 100 bucks.

Ultimately, my question is Will I get enough HP and TQ gains to justify spending the additional 80 bucks?

Existing truck recipe 97 Ram 1/2 2wd 5 speed Pacesetter shorty headers, stock piping to Magnaflow converter, to Magnaflow muffler dumped at the axle. K&N in stock air box.

I wouldn't spend the time unless you got a different cam too. Here's an idea though... If your confident of your porting, you could always port the heads, swap them for a factory magnum set and a little cash, and use the extra cash to buy a cam for the new engine. Although I'm not sure you would make enough profit from that, cause something in the back of my head is telling me the newer engines had the roller lifters, which is $$$.

I agree. A stock cam is just fine for stock heads. To be honest, I wouldn't really mess with a stock head (So long as it was fine to begin with) until a cam got up around 230* @ .050 or better. The performance difference you'll never feel.

-
Back