Magnum heads. Is it safe?

-

Coyote Jack

Member #55, I'm old
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have just installed my new roller rocker system in the magnum headed 360. Although all of the pushrods are close to the head casting. One is touching the casting. I am wondering if it is safe to grind a little of the head casting off to let the pushrod clear the head? This would be the backside of the intake face. It is about 1/4 inch thick and close to the #4 intake runner. I am only looking at taking a few thousands off. +/- .005

So what do you think? Is it safe?

Jack

Jack, I think you'll be safe making room for the pushrods. Its a comman problem.

I've seen it done on other style heads before without problems. Since your only talking a few thousandths I can't see why it would hurt.

if the ehads are installe, be VERY careful about any grinding or clearancing. Iron dust will destroy an engine very fast, and the filter wont catch the crud until it's gone thru stuff.

What I was thinking was to tape off the area and then put in as many magnets as possible to catch the crud. I didn't really want to take the head off again if I didn't have to.

Jack

I'd take the head off !!!!!!!!!
You can reuse the un-run gasket.

If you can reuse the unrun gasket, I guess it is just a matter of a little time. That I have plenty of. Seeing as I'm 2 years into this already. LOL Off comes the head tomorrow night. I might as well give the others a little more clearance at the same time if I've got the head off.

Jack

Clean them up good after your done! <G>

Yes, I have re-used lightly used gaskets before. I wasn't to happy about crossing my fingers on it, but it worked out fine.

They have never been run. Just bolted on and have never seen a compression stroke as i have the spark plugs out. I still plan to use the magnets when I cut the head and then it is a real long dose of compressed air.

Jack

Don't be afraid to use water, soap and water. A blast from the garden hose. Just have the compressed air on hand to dry it up and out well.

NO MAGNETS. They will also cause the particles to stick to the head casting where the magnet attaches..Run a shop vaccum right next the "discharge" side of the cutter/stone you are using, and it will suck up almost all of the crud. Then use shop air to blow it off. Solvents will cause the stuff to run all over. Also, keep the intake flange as the lowest point, so the stuff rolls down and away from springs and assembly lube. Magnets and oil are an enemy in this case.

I think I am getting this. After I get the head off. I should was it and dry it real good to remove any oil before I do any grinding. Then run the shopvac while I cut/grind with the intake flange facing down.

Thanks guys
Jack

Seriously, disassemble the whole head naked, wash it with soap and water, dishwashing soap is good. Dove, Joy etc. since it's made for greay pots and pans. Then air dry it with the compressor.
Do what moper was saying.
Where saftey glass' and or mask.
Cut and grind in a corner, away from fire hazzards.
Have at it.
Wash again before reassembling the heads. Get into the valve guides for sure.

-
Back