magnum roller cam in a 73 360

-

modart440

Reaction score
magnum roller cam in a 73 360.Can it be done I have the cam,roller lifters(stock style)magnum oil through pushrods,roller rockers,with LA style eddy heads.Also have something that looks like a spider sheet metal piece that fits perfectly into the lifter gallery(think it's to hold the stock roller lifters in place)Anybody know if this will work?
thanks

there is no way to bolt the spider down in the lifter valley...the spider hold the dogbones in place, and the dogbones hold the lifters in the bore....

LA engines need retro-fit roller lifters....also magnum cams are usually not drilled to supply oil to the heads thru the cam bearings....

don't quote me to this but i believe in order to use that cam and lifter set your lifter bores need to be bushed because the oil hole in them is higher up than the hydraulic lifters the block was ment for and this will cause very low oil pressure if not bushed to raise the height of the lifter bore. which is why the retrofit lifters need to be used

I thought the purpose of the spider is to orient the roller lifters so the roller aligns with the cam, i.e. roll instead of slide. Retrofit roller lifters have a link between each pair so to orient them. Problem is they cost $$$. I also wondered if the spider could be added to an LA engine by tapping a few holes in the lifter valley. Harder would be if you need to mill flat spots. The oiling issues sound complicated and risky.

I read of roller lifters improving mileage by ~8%. Some say due to less frictional loss, but I find that hard to imagine and expect it is due to being able to design faster cam profiles.

Magnum cam in an early block just needs a groove cut in the #2 and #4 journals to provide oiling to rocker shafts.

No groove = no oil.

I'm guessing you could cross-drill the core if you wanted to go that direction too.

Mag cams also lack the fuel pump drive snout length. There is a fix for that too.

Lifters need to be retro rollers.

-
Back