Magnum Roller Lifters

-

Jonnylightening

Reaction score
Any company out there that make an actual quality lifter anymore? I have had a set of brand name hyd. roller lifters in my car for 2 years and yesterday during a car cruise one desired to give up on me 2hrs away from home. These were supposed to be “performance” lifters. I’m kind of over the whole hydraulic thing. Can anyone point me in the direction of a solid roller for magnum blocks?

We went through three sets when my engine went through break in and dyno.

Mike @ b3 racing might be a resource.

Any company out there that make an actual quality lifter anymore? I have had a set of brand name hyd. roller lifters in my car for 2 years and yesterday during a car cruise one desired to give up on me 2hrs away from home. These were supposed to be “performance” lifters. I’m kind of over the whole hydraulic thing. Can anyone point me in the direction of a solid roller for magnum blocks?

What did you use and how did they give up on you?

I’m not going to say a brand but they were a performance hyd roller. The faulty one collapsed.
Were they retrofit HR or a factory replacements? Your first post was a little unclear.

I've heard of people shimming factory lifters to be solid. Otherwise, I don't think I've ever seen solid factory style roller lifters. That would be badass though if someone made those,

Were they retrofit HR or a factory replacements? Your first post was a little unclear.

I've heard of people shimming factory lifters to be solid. Otherwise, I don't think I've ever seen solid factory style roller lifters. That would be badass though if someone made those,

Drop in magnum (without bar). I couldn’t find a set of magnum style solids either. All solids I’ve found were the retrofit

There must be more to this story. What was wrong with the factory lifters/spider setup ? Factory lifters can last for many years.
What is it that is not stock on this Magnum engine?

It’s a 408 magnum, EQ heads modified by B3 Racing, Howard’s .565 lift cam, roller rockers purchased from B3, rocker girdle etc etc not stock by any means. That’s why I opted for the Performance hyd roller lifters by a well know company. Been in the car 2 years maybe have 8000 miles on them. 6000RPM max limiter

Last edited:
How did they work without a tie bar between them, or no spider? I've never seen those kind. I used Morel hydraulic rollers in my 273. The oil band is lower on them than other brands of retrofit hydraulic rollers. I didn't look at solid rollers since my motor is pretty mild, but I'm pretty sure the Morel solid rollers are the same way. Both their hydraulic and solid rollers have tie bars. My cam is from Bullet and was ground on a Magnum blank because they didn't have or have any hopes of getting an LA blank anytime soon, so I had to use a Hughes cam snout adapter to be able to run a mechanical fuel pump. I hope you can get yours straightened out soon.

How did they work without a tie bar between them, or no spider? I've never seen those kind. I used Morel hydraulic rollers in my 273. The oil band is lower on them than other brands of retrofit hydraulic rollers. I didn't look at solid rollers since my motor is pretty mild, but I'm pretty sure the Morel solid rollers are the same way. Both their hydraulic and solid rollers have tie bars. My cam is from Bullet and was ground on a Magnum blank because they didn't have or have any hopes of getting an LA blank anytime soon, so I had to use a Hughes cam snout adapter to be able to run a mechanical fuel pump. I hope you can get yours straightened out soon.
I’m running a MAGNUM based 408. So yes I’m running a spider plate. My lifters I have now are not link barred. Thank you yes me as well. It’s frustrating to me that all these cam/lifter company’s quality is going down the shitter. I won’t even look at a flat tap setup anymore unless I direly have to. Pretty much all parts anymore the quality just sucks.

Morel makes solid roller lifters for small block Mopar. You would just do away with the spider and get custom push rods. The link below is to Hughes, but you may be able to get them from Bullet a little cheaper. Hughes just re-boxes them and makes more $$ on them. Maybe do some checking to see if you could run solid rollers on your existing cam. Some you can, some you can't.

Go to solid lifters.

Solid lifters do things that hyd lifters do not do:

- they do not collapse
- they do not pump up
- they do not jam.
Easiest/cheapest fix: if you can dismantle the lifters, use s/s washers or a spacer under the piston to take up that space. Remove the spring & any valving under the piston. Adjust spacers/spacing so that he prod seat is close to the circlip, but not touching it.

Lash: 0.006-8" when hot. Set lash initially, drive car, have tools ready to quickly remove valve cover after test drive. Find a loose rocker & measure the hot lash. Let cool overnight & measure the same valve next day. Whatever the difference is between hot/cold, you can set the lash cold so that it is 6-8 at operating temp.

You could also buy sol lifters, but may need prods also.

i use stock replacements for quite a while.....10.5x car, 7000rpm runs - without a hiccup! So i´d suggest a set of melling stock replacement lifters JB-2225.

Michael

I bought Johnson High Lift slow leak down lifters for my Magnum with a .530 lift cam. Still have to finish putting the motor together so I'll see how it goes but they seem to be the good ones now days.
I'm guessing you bought Comp lifters.

I bought Johnson High Lift slow leak down lifters for my Magnum with a .530 lift cam. Still have to finish putting the motor together so I'll see how it goes but they seem to be the good ones now days.
I don't think Comp makes hyd roller lifters without link bars for small block mopars, they're all retro-fit link bar type.

Last edited:

How much spring (on the seat & on the nose) pressure are you running?
Running Hughes 1129 dual valve spring 145# @ installed height, 358#@ .550, 375#@ .600 lift I’m somewhere in between
How much spring (on the seat & on the nose) pressure are you running?

I thought the OEM lifter/spider will not work over around .525? Was told the body of the lifter will hit the spider above that?

Been running my setup for 3 years (~8000miles) mixed highway and around town.
ah k.. guy must have been wrong.. i shoulda checked mine before i buttoned it up to see how much higher the lifters could go before hitting

I thought the OEM lifter/spider will not work over around .525? Was told the body of the lifter will hit the spider above that?

First time I've heard that. I've also been running stock Magnum lifters with a ~.550" lift cam for years with no issues. I can see how it would happen with really high lifts though and at that point it would probably be better to go with lighter and/or solid lifters.

@RAMM was doing some machining and set up on a set of Jesel solid rollers for a magnum block and had a pretty good look at the stock dogbones. I wonder if he has any measurements from messing with them.

.580 lift here, lots of street miles, never an issue. Built in 2015 using Melling replacement stock lifters.

-
Back