Magnum Swap balancer w/LA timing cover. Marks?

-

Shainesboostin

Reaction score
So, just got my 5.9 Magnum put in the Dart. I used the Magnums harmonic balancer (Which is where my question comes in). I ran the LA v belt setup. Anyways, unsure of what marks to use on the harmonic balancer? Its got a few thick marks in it, then noticed it does have some actual timing marks. But on the LA, the COVER has the marks. Not sure what to go off?

Find true TDC with a piston stop and see which marks line up. If none do, then just make a new one.

Find true TDC with a piston stop and see which marks line up. If none do, then just make a new one.

Ok, so just bring Cylinder/Piston on #1 cylinder to TDC, then look at the marks on the balancer? If dont line up, get timing tape or whatever it is?

Ok, so just bring Cylinder/Piston on #1 cylinder to TDC, then look at the marks on the balancer? If dont line up, get timing tape or whatever it is?

I would use a piston stop and a degree wheel. You want to make SURE you are at TDC.

Ok, ive never done any of this, but ill get it figured out. Thanks man.

Nuthin to it. remove #1 plug, put the piston stop in. Put the degree wheel on the balancer. I use a piece of coat hanger wire for a pointer. Then, turn the engine by hand until the piston comes up and contacts the piston stop. Record the number the pointer is pointing to. Then rotate the engine back the other way until the piston contacts the stop again. Record that number. Exactly halfway between those two points is true TDC.

Sweet, my dad has a wheel, so when I find the halfway, then I could mark the pulley with timing tape correct?

Sweet, my dad has a wheel, so when I find the halfway, then I could mark the pulley with timing tape correct?

Yup. That's how to do it. Of course, you will have to remove the piston stop to get to the halfway point, but I kinda hope you figured that out. lol

It may well line up with an already present mark.......but I think they are different so be prepared to remark it.

Man, this Mopar thing has me learning more than I ever thought I wanted to. Lol, dudes are to smart! Everyday since owing this ive learned something. Thanks again.

Man, this Mopar thing has me learning more than I ever thought I wanted to. Lol, dudes are to smart! Everyday since owing this ive learned something. Thanks again.

It's grammar school geometry, trust me. You will be degreeing cams in in no time. When you've done it about three times, it will hit you how easy it really is.

It's grammar school geometry, trust me. You will be degreeing cams in in no time. When you've done it about three times, it will hit you how easy it really is.
Goodness,Rob...Someone understood,and appreciated a tech comment!.. Been a while,there....

Goodness,Rob...Someone understood,and appreciated a tech comment!.. Been a while,there....

I had that happen recently, where someone listened and it fixed their problem.
It was a nice change. :D

Nuthin to it. remove #1 plug, put the piston stop in. Put the degree wheel on the balancer. I use a piece of coat hanger wire for a pointer. Then, turn the engine by hand until the piston comes up and contacts the piston stop. Record the number the pointer is pointing to. Then rotate the engine back the other way until the piston contacts the stop again. Record that number. Exactly halfway between those two points is true TDC.
Hey Rob, Does he have to pull the rocker arms so the valves don't open and close? The piston stop points towards the exhaust valve and I just bent the living crap outta a Chevy small block exhaust valve a few months ago doing the same thing with a piston stop.

Hey Rob, Does he have to pull the rocker arms so the valves don't open and close? The piston stop points towards the exhaust valve and I just bent the living crap outta a Chevy small block exhaust valve a few months ago doing the same thing with a piston stop.

I just stood a 6 inch section of plastic tubing on the piston and turned the crank back and forth till the tube started to move and divided that in half at the balancer.
Different ways to skin a cat as they say.

I am not sure.......I never have.......but then I try to extend the stop only as far as needed........I bet removing the rockers aint a bad idea.

Mine lined up with the marks on the cover. I went through the trouble to degree it and it was dead on.

There are 2 LA timing covers (early and late) so one may line up and the other won't.

OP, when you bring the piston up to the stop, do it sloooowly and gently. Don't be slammin' things around.....

-
Back