Magnum timing chain with LA timing cover, and fuel pump eccentric

-
This is what I am running in my 1993 magnum with LA style Trick Flow heads. It's a Cloyes Street True Roller with 9 degreeing slots. According the Cloyes the difference between the LA and Magnum sets is that LA set is the camshaft sprocket is balanced to work with a fuel pump eccentric. See the picture below that might help. I am not using the eccentric, but put it in to get the correct spacing since my cam is a LA based long nose cam.
Cloyes Street Billet True Roller Timing Sets 9-3503X9

View attachment 1715588892
Ah ha!

So then it doesn't matter running running an la set in a mag with a eccentric in place but does matter without one in place .

I run a tensioner, that's not an issue.

With what engine and what chain set? I have hears tensioners and double rollers don't play nicely together.

Was looking to use the Edelbrock true roller 7803 timing gear set on my Magnum 360 but I read in the description on the JEGS website that it is not to be used with hydraulic lifters. No mention on Summit or Edelbrock sites so I called Edelbrock Tech support and they said it will NOT work on Magnum due to clearance issues with the upper sprocket. They recommended a Cloyes unit. Now if someone wants to dispute this with real world results I would still like to use the Edelbrock set.

With what engine and what chain set? I have hears tensioners and double rollers don't play nicely together.

Was looking to use the Edelbrock true roller 7803 timing gear set on my Magnum 360 but I read in the description on the JEGS website that it is not to be used with hydraulic lifters. No mention on Summit or Edelbrock sites so I called Edelbrock Tech support and they said it will NOT work on Magnum due to clearance issues with the upper sprocket. They recommended a Cloyes unit. Now if someone wants to dispute this with real world results I would still like to use the Edelbrock set.
1970 340 motor. JP performance chain and billet gears w/9 way adjustability. I had heard good things about them, but...
It stretched, in short time.. I found that out during a refresh...which is why I added the tensioner. The low-mileage on it, the quality gears, n price of a billet gear set..it didn't warrant changing the chain set yet, tensioner was cheaper and I had wanted to try it out.
I think it's a wear issue. The double roller will cut into the guide material over time.
It did, a little, but I'm still using it in that motor.
I do wanna give you recommendation 9n chain sets though, and that's to use a billet mancini racing set. I use one with my 410, it's not stretching like the JP. The JP has a "rollon" chain ..and I believe the mancini chain is either better American or a better Japanese motorcycle chain manufacturer , since its known they have made timing chains for our stuff.

Last edited:
No wonder I can't get anything done, now you all have me wanting to put my cam and gear up on the balancer to see what happens with and without an eccentric.

No wonder I can't get anything done, now you all have me wanting to put my cam and gear up on the balancer to see what happens with and without an eccentric.
Counterbalance shaft motors, memeber them? Lol Mitsubishi 2.6, had one. Put an eliminate kit in it, then the lifters kept bleeding off and ticking.Every 6 months I was popping a new lifter in it. Ohc lifters...then I changed the head to the solid ohc version... I worked on that pos way too much.

Well, I put the cam on the balancer with an eccentric and it was 66 grams out, but when working a fuel pump, it has pressure on it, so maybe that doesn't matter.

I removed the eccentric and it was 30+ grams off, but in a different place of course.

It took a 3/4" hole and a big washer that I filed a keyway into and offset ground to bring it into balance.

thumbnail

thumbnail

Because of the concave surface of the timing gear, I used a 3/4" mill to make the hole. The Dot on the washer is so I know the front.

The timing set is just a cheapy SA Gear set.

Was it worth the time? Who knows, but it can't hurt...

Besides, I was curious.

balancing a camshaft cog for no eccentric...who knew? Ill just run it with it.

Well FWIW, Summit lists several timing sets for the Magnum separately from the LA, so SOMETHING is different.

It is the width of the timing gears and the width of the chains. '91 318 roller engine had the wider gears and chain, but the earlier LA timing sets will work on them if you swap them out.

Figure it is the same for the Magnums with the wider gears.

Here is the '91 roller 318 original timing chain set with the wider gears than the LAs. Was considering just putting just the new chain only that I had here for fhe LAs but the chain was too narrow to fit the 91 gears.

So I just installed my standard LA double roller chain set on the '91 318 roller engine with the now added eccentric too.

Has been working fine now for a few months in my mopar Daily Driver Truck.

20200907_233109(0).jpg

20200907_232718.jpg

Last edited:
balancing a camshaft cog for no eccentric...who knew? Ill just run it with it.

It is just one of those things you do, when you are putting off getting started on something you'd rather not do...

"Busy Work", if you know what I mean.

I like it! I never seem to leave the garage without starting a project, can't say the same about finishing them! That reminds me, I must drill a balance hole on my 6 damper to offset the 36-1 missing tooth I took off for the EDIS.....Naa. Its already pressed on.

-
Back