Major Piston Damage!

-
I figure I'd drop it in my present Jeep. By time I get the stroker build done I should have worn out this other engine.

Will your friend have a indoor area for you to pull the other 4.0 out in.[-o<
It sure is amazing how well that tuff 4.0 ran in that condition.
It would be cool if you see a good exhaust manifold but like you said they all cracked seems like.
You got me to thinking about the filter box on the 4.0 8)
It might be a good system for Victoria, I need to get out to a salvage yard and get some measurements and see if it will set where my battery is.
Keep us updated Joe 8) Sorry to here the bad new's but sounds like you have a plan.

Will your friend have a indoor area for you to pull the other 4.0 out in.[-o<
It sure is amazing how well that tuff 4.0 ran in that condition.
It would be cool if you see a good exhaust manifold but like you said they all cracked seems like.
You got me to thinking about the filter box on the 4.0 8)
It might be a good system for Victoria, I need to get out to a salvage yard and get some measurements and see if it will set where my battery is.
Keep us updated Joe 8) Sorry to here the bad new's but sounds like you have a plan.

He's got a garage but I don't know if it's in there or in the back. Not really thrilled about pulling another engine but he said he'd help and he's got a lift so I wouldn't have to bring mine. He wants the 5 speed out of it anyway before he scraps it.

Yeah, I was thinking about the header too. If it's good, I'm sure he'll sell it to me. He's always been very reasonable on price. He's the same guy who had the vent window when mine got bashed out for 10 bucks. :)

Great idea on the air box! K&N's are readily availible and it already has a cold air inlet although you'd probably want to enlarge it. The rear outlet could be easily adapted too. :cheers:

That engine detonated the piston apart. Jeeps are know to have issues with oil contamination of the chambers and if they detonate long enough or bad enough they will break... What do the good holes look like? Detonation is not always audible. Ping is. Detonation is sometimes not.

My mom had a Comanche 4.0 in it and over filled with oil
She contaminated the vacuum systems and she thought the engine was blow up, She lived in Ill. at the time and I lived here in Arkansas so I took a trip to here house a 10 hour drive and the shop all ready did the over hall and hit here with a $1.600 bill, I looked the engine over and sure as hell they did not even pull the exhaust off I was a young 33 years old and I drove the Jeep back to Mendota a town just 20 miles from my moms house and raised all kinds of hell I told the little town police department my complaint and I was headed there now, I got to there business and ask for the owner of this damned place and that I drove all the way from Arkansas and was a mechanic "A little bull S on my part. I said I will have this place shut down and we could see a police car just parked up the street.
A long story short mom got $1.380 back and they claimed they sent the jeep out to get dun and they would take care of there lose there.
My mom was soooooo happy and learned a good lesson, Always let your engine sit for a good 15 minutes before checking the oil.

Now that I think about it, not long after I got my Jeep, my youngest brother was quite amazed to see that my air cleaner with many thousands of miles on it was oil free. He worked at a Jiffy Lube and he said they were coming in drenched in oil. Not an issue with my car or the one that broke a piston but it is one way for oil to get in the cahmbers. Those two bolts at the top of the trans are a real thrill.

A bad injecter could do that. Stuck between open and closed.

That engine detonated the piston apart. Jeeps are know to have issues with oil contamination of the chambers and if they detonate long enough or bad enough they will break... What do the good holes look like? Detonation is not always audible. Ping is. Detonation is sometimes not.

Pretty darn good really, I'll get some pictures posted up later on tonight. I could see that being the cause as the air filter was soaked and the breather hose rubber elbow at the air filter housing was disintegrating from oil contamination so it must have been sucking oil for a long time. :)

My mom had a Comanche 4.0 in it and over filled with oil
She contaminated the vacuum systems and she thought the engine was blow up, She lived in Ill. at the time and I lived here in Arkansas so I took a trip to here house a 10 hour drive and the shop all ready did the over hall and hit here with a $1.600 bill, I looked the engine over and sure as hell they did not even pull the exhaust off I was a young 33 years old and I drove the Jeep back to Mendota a town just 20 miles from my moms house and raised all kinds of hell I told the little town police department my complaint and I was headed there now, I got to there business and ask for the owner of this damned place and that I drove all the way from Arkansas and was a mechanic "A little bull S on my part. I said I will have this place shut down and we could see a police car just parked up the street.
A long story short mom got $1.380 back and they claimed they sent the jeep out to get dun and they would take care of there lose there.
My mom was soooooo happy and learned a good lesson, Always let your engine sit for a good 15 minutes before checking the oil.

Yeah Mike, overfilling is very bad deal. Good to hear mom got her money back! I'm glad I wasn't the guy who did it, lol.

Now that I think about it, not long after I got my Jeep, my youngest brother was quite amazed to see that my air cleaner with many thousands of miles on it was oil free. He worked at a Jiffy Lube and he said they were coming in drenched in oil. Not an issue with my car or the one that broke a piston but it is one way for oil to get in the cahmbers. Those two bolts at the top of the trans are a real thrill.

Oil filter was soaked on this one too. Those bolts are a *****. I had use 2 20" 3/8" extensions with a universal joint. A 3/8" socket fits right on the dang male head Torx bolt too. I wish they would have mentioned those bolts in the lame *** manual I had. I dropped the trans crossmember with the trans still bolted to it to get to those bolts. :-D

That's one ugly piston, Joe.

I've had a couple 4.0L Cherokees, and they will run on a prayer it seems.

I had a similar incident with my F250 a couple years back. Pushing it way too hard, with the camper on, coming home from a 15 day/12 hr per shift at the pulp mill. Only about 2000 miles on a fresh, hi-comp, 40 over rebuilt 460 running on propane. I was running 20/50 in it, mistakingly thinking it would be a better oil. Well, it started detonating, and then ran like crap for the rest of the trip home. Luckily it was only another 20 miles or so. Got home and found which hole was bad, pulled the plug and it was coated in aluminum. Checked the compression and it was still fine, thank god. It's been running fine ever since, but does have a very slight knock.

I still have the plug, I should take a pic and post it.

Oh, and those exhaust manifolds almost always end up cracked on the 4.0L. Must be a bad design.

Oil filter was soaked on this one too. Those bolts are a *****. I had use 2 20" 3/8" extensions with a universal joint. A 3/8" socket fits right on the dang male head Torx bolt too. I wish they would have mentioned those bolts in the lame *** manual I had. I dropped the trans crossmember with the trans still bolted to it to get to those bolts. :-D[/QUOTE]

I took the engine and trans out at the same time. Pain in the butt and really heavy with that overdrive auto in it. Once it was on the floor it still took forever to get apart. I re-assembled with different bolts and anti-seize just in case.

That's one ugly piston, Joe.

I've had a couple 4.0L Cherokees, and they will run on a prayer it seems.

I had a similar incident with my F250 a couple years back. Pushing it way too hard, with the camper on, coming home from a 15 day/12 hr per shift at the pulp mill. Only about 2000 miles on a fresh, hi-comp, 40 over rebuilt 460 running on propane. I was running 20/50 in it, mistakingly thinking it would be a better oil. Well, it started detonating, and then ran like crap for the rest of the trip home. Luckily it was only another 20 miles or so. Got home and found which hole was bad, pulled the plug and it was coated in aluminum. Checked the compression and it was still fine, thank god. It's been running fine ever since, but does have a very slight knock.

I still have the plug, I should take a pic and post it.

Oh, and those exhaust manifolds almost always end up cracked on the 4.0L. Must be a bad design.

Wouldn't it be cool if we had x-ray eyes to see what really happened? :-D
Yeah brother, those manifolds always crack but check this out: http://www.ineedparts.com/auto-parts/exhaust-parts/exhaust-manifolds/jeep-exhaust-manifold.html :-D

nice, that will be one happening jeep lol, she'll fly. again good luck on the re-build!!

It will move again, lol. I take it personally. :snakeman:

Oil filter was soaked on this one too. Those bolts are a *****. I had use 2 20" 3/8" extensions with a universal joint. A 3/8" socket fits right on the dang male head Torx bolt too. I wish they would have mentioned those bolts in the lame *** manual I had. I dropped the trans crossmember with the trans still bolted to it to get to those bolts. :-D

I took the engine and trans out at the same time. Pain in the butt and really heavy with that overdrive auto in it. Once it was on the floor it still took forever to get apart. I re-assembled with different bolts and anti-seize just in case.[/QUOTE]

I even left the driveshafts and exhaust primary pipe on. :-D Just lowered the trans mount on a floor jack.

Looks like your piston got treeman syndrome...........

????

Upper bearings bad I'll bet they pulled far too much weight too many times....

Yes, I agree 100% Thank Goodness I caught it in time. It could have been far worse. :clock:

Sounds like you have been here before Joe:glasses2: good job getting that puppy out of there. :rock:
I want to say that truck Mikeys toy has ( old Dodge) is sooooo cool :colors:
I forgot all about it till I seen his post :thumbrig:

-
Back