make it new or leave it alone ?

-

Pentastarnut

67' Barracuda
Reaction score
i've been told lately to leave my Demon alone as my plans after Crusin' the Coast is to tear it down for a repaint/interior redo. it's still wearing factory paint and tho it's no show winner, it does have character. yes, i know it's my F N car to do what i want, but what's YOUR opinion ?
drive it as is ? scuff and satin clear it with an interior redo ? do just the interior ? who cares it's your car ?
MlURFla.jpg

tJBCmJW.jpg

I LOVE the pitchfork antenna! From what I can see of the pictures, it looks good. I can't see any flaws/rockchips/scratches. Regarding repainting, only you can calculate the cost/benefit.

Loose the granny bumper-ettes and slap a set of 17" wheels/tires on it. Buff it out and leave the rest alone. If you decide on a full resto then change the interior to black and the rest stock.

Except the granny bullets....those gottta go. :D

the paint is only original once. there are other things you can do to change it up that can be reversed that might satisfy your need for change. I actually have 4 sets of wheels and tires that I switch back and forth with, that , for the most part works for me lol

Leave it alone..it looks great just the way it is..please do not put any of those 17 18" wheels on it,i think they ruin the look of classic cars..make em' look like "matchboxes"..

I like 18 inch wheels, love the bumperettes, and am tired of black interiors. Leave the paint, maybe get a chin spoiler?

Buff it out and call it. It is a nice car and the big wheels will ruin it (in my opinion)
One of my dislikes is classics of any stripe that are lowered with big wheels, never understand the thinking there---------guess I'm a dinosaur----What looks good on a Honda Civic does not necessarily translate to a 60's/70's American classic.
DR---:)

Like age on fine wine. Like character lines on a beautiful older woman.
Don't even buff it.
It's only original patina once.
People will know she's been around.

susan.jpg

I wouldn't mess with it unless the interior is bad. I'd never touch that paint, I wouldn't buff it, clear it, nothin.

Only original once. If ya redo it then it will be just another restored car. Much better to leave it like it is in my opinion.

A big no to scuff and clear. That really looks stupid.

Interior. Depends what kinda shape it's in.

you got to ask yourself...will a new paintjob make you enjoy more or less?

I remember walking out to my car one day after doing some shopping, and I noticed a new nick on the passengerside front fender
looked like someone ran a shopping cart into it
now don't get me wrong, I wasn't happy, but it didn't break my heart either, since the paint and body weren't perfect to begin with

I hit a bird on the way to mopars in the park. felt good to just leave it there. matched the rest of the car.

my thoughts..... leave it, drive it.

Last edited:
i understand it's only original once. making it really nice would be sweet, i'd be concerned about chips, scratches, etc. the interior matches the exterior, it's worn, the front seats have small tears on the bottom part and the carpet is thin in a few spots but, it's old.
i have everything, less paint, to totally redo this car. it's a 318/904/8.25/console/ac/pb/ps equipped, it's only a 318 car so......
it now has a magnum 380HP TCI 904, and i just swapped in a 8.75 4.89 4.10 ( for track days ) with all new brakes. i also just put on new 15" rallye wheels with 255/60 drag radials and bf 225/60's on the front. i have a 3.23 SG for driving. i also have a PST poly graphite front end kit, rebuilt KH calipers, new rotors and pads, and new 1.02 torsion bars, and, coated TTI's.
my problem is if i start taking the front end apart to redo it all i'll want to just KEEP GOING to make it ALL clean...
ocd at it's best , i think as i'm typing this i've realized i'm going to redo everything on the front end and leave it alone.
wish me luck HA HA ;)
ckcADkU.jpg

ZgrJKmx.jpg

Like others' have said, they are only original once. Keep the paint. Buff it if you'd like but I love it just the way it is! IT is an awesome looking Demon!!

Buff it out and call it. It is a nice car and the big wheels will ruin it (in my opinion)
One of my dislikes is classics of any stripe that are lowered with big wheels, never understand the thinking there---------guess I'm a dinosaur----What looks good on a Honda Civic does not necessarily translate to a 60's/70's American classic.
DR---:)
I agree with this statement. Leave the paint alone and unless the interior is really bad leave that as well. DR, you're not a dinosaur, I agree with you about the wheels. Those thin wall tires don't look right on these cars. I would spend more time looking over an original car, even if it isn't perfect, then I would looking at many of the over restored cars out there now.

If it were mine, I'd redo the parts of the interior that bothered me, Fix up the suspension and brakes to as good or better than new then just enjoy it! If you take it down for a full redo, it will likely be a long time before you get to enjoy it again!

Cley

I'm biased , I have always liked original cars at least in terms of paint and wheel sizes.
I wouldn 't consider painting it , just polish & wax. I'd look for improving the interior, I'd take my time & try to find used pieces that are in better condition, there's a lot of donor cars out there.
I would also avoid the urge to go for more horse power but make sure the safety stuff is good: brake hoses, new tires & steering.
If you really want to restore one there are better candidates but you 'll be financially upside down almost immediately.
Very cool car an original condition Demon with a V8, AC & disc brakes - that's just about perfect

318.. I thought it was a 340 car..by all means do whatever you want to it..my '70 duster was a factory 318 car which is why I've made all the modifications to it without a second thought..i sold my numbers matching 340 car it was way to nice beat on ie: drag race..

I would make the interior perfect original. Save what you can there. I would also restore/rebuild the 318 and factory trans to original. However, I would leave the paint. It's nice to see original paint. You also need perfect original wheels-restored. That's still a rare car and will be valuable at some point. Save your cash and perfect paint some day.

• Yes, leave the paint alone.
  • Lose the bumperettes
  • Replace the missing LH fender emblem
  • Move the trunk Dodge emblem to the right (to cover up the holes).
  • White interiors rock

318.. I thought it was a 340 car..by all means do whatever you want to it..my '70 duster was a factory 318 car which is why I've made all the modifications to it without a second thought..i sold my numbers matching 340 car it was way to nice beat on ie: drag race..

Who cares if it is a 340 car or not..... Worry about numbers is just a way to throw money into a hole IMO.... Some cars I guess can have some validity to it, but I own cars to drive them and do as I please....

I would not paint the car... And if you did don't go for an over the top job. I myself have a car I am getting ready to put miles on and have zero intent of worrying about what people think of it or anything I do to it... In the end it is just a hunk of metal.... Go enjoy it as that is a sweet ride....

JW

Dude, do what makes YOU happy.

If you aren't happy with the current paint, paint it. It looks too thin on the roof to buff with all of that oxidation showing, and I can see more than a few dents that will not look good when buffed out. I'm not trying to drag you down, if it were my car I'd just keep driving it the way it is because there's still more than enough paint to keep it from rusting and I don't care what it looks like as long as it works. But that's me, and that's why all my cars are multiple colors, because I don't care as long as they aren't rusting to pieces. I'm not going to tear down a car that I can drive the crap out of just to repaint it if I can help it. But, if it's already getting parked to do a bunch of other work and you don't like the paint, well now's not a bad time. Just have a plan so 5 years from now you aren't still staring at a pile of parts and wishing you hadn't torn it down.

If the original interior is worn out, the seat covers have tears and the carpet is thread-bare then toss it, replace it and don't look back. You don't even want to think about all the things that have been on that carpet in the last 44 years, or who's butt was in those seats. :eek: I would replace the interior in a heartbeat. I know I replaced mine AND changed it to black. Yes, like every other car ever made and no I don't care. :p

The whole "it's only original once" philosophy creates a bunch of useless museum pieces. If you drive it any significant amount you can't keep it "original" without a serious grip of cash for NOS or "correct" parts because if you drive it you'll have to replace parts. It's a car, it's meant to be driven. Numbers matching, "original" cars are for boring rich guys that use their cars as bank accounts. Don't be a collector, be an enthusiast. The next generation won't think twice about banning these cars as unsafe polluting monstrosities and replacing them with self-driving computers on wheels if they've never had their heads snapped back into the seat by an old musclecar while sucking unburned hydrocarbons. Or whipped around an autoX, road, or even a drift course in an old musclecar properly updated to handle like something other than an old musclecar (ie, like something other than a barge). Because you can update these cars to best the new crap coming off the lot right now if you're not worried about it looking original or offending some other guy's tire profile sensibilities. And realistically the percentage of these cars still on the road is statistically insignificant from a pollution standpoint (gas powered lawn mowers are worse by the numbers).

But if we let these cars be museum pieces, that's exactly what all of them will become in short order, because pretty quick there won't be anybody left to remember how awesome these cars really are. Or anybody that can still shift a stick for crying out load. Put it out on the road, drive the crap out of it, and don't listen to anybody that tells you otherwise just because it might be worth more some other way.

as a G code car it will never bring the H code $, i don't really care about numbers matching blah blah blah cuz when that is the case they usually sit and what good is a garage ornament/trailer queen ? ... i have one already
b8HxBfR.jpg

when i did the 8.25 --> 8.75 swap i also put in poly leaf bushings. so i'm going to do the front end, torsion bars and brakes and consider redoing the interior. i have everything... in black. i really don't like the white with EV2

thanx for the opinions doods ;)

Red interior would look sharp
Plus, if you ever choose to repaint the outside black you'll be all set

-
Back