"Simple Fix Up", "Project Creep", "Just One More Thing", and my 1969 Barracuda...

-

Norse

Reaction score
Towards the end of Summer 2020 I noticed one of the rear bearing seals was leaking. Since this car originally was a 318 car (currently a '76 RV 440), it had 4on5 axles. So I figured I would swap out for the 4.5on5, add 11" drums, fix the seal and be done.
But look! Those brake lines are original and looking crusty! And I really should paint everything. And probably put in a new set of leaf springs...
Since I was waiting on parts, maybe I should think about doing some upgrading on the 727.
I then realized it would be easier to take the engine and transmission out, so what the heck! Let's repaint the engine bay!!
Well we can't repaint the engine bay and put that crusty looking 440 back in, so I'll do a quick spray bomb on it too.
And then I found a set of those old blue anodized "Direct Connection" valve covers, and sent them off with my headers for a ceramic coat.
And I decided to order up a new engine bay wiring harness. But I couldn't leave the dash harness alone. And the dash plastics were shot.
And I found some rust.
And where the front end got hit and cheaply fixed. So I added in the rest of the USCT re-enforcements. And I found a replacement passenger fender and correct front cowl and hood (I bought it with a bunch of '67 pieces on it).
And it took several months for Richard at A&A Transmissions to build me my streetable reverse manual valve body 727.
There's probably 1000 other things that I am forgetting.
But tonight she moved under her own power once again!
I had almost forgotten what it's like to drive her.
Goosed the throttle about 1/2 way in first while rolling and she stepped out ready to go!
It was a lot of work, but I love this car!
347431936_6157216114331811_3862250483306605341_n.jpg

I am the same way. I can never just put them together without painting everything. Its the love of what you are doing to the car. Like this car I get to see many of them at Carlisle when I go. Some of you may own one of mine. There are many out there.

024 (2).jpg

025 (2).jpg

031.jpg

033.jpg

029 (2).jpg

036.jpg

037.jpg

040 (2).jpg

042 (2).jpg

043.jpg

@qkcuda Probably not unless your old car spent all it's life in the Pacific Northwest.
The previous owner pulled it out of someone's front yard in Federal Way, WA and started fixing it up. The paint on my car was already shot from being left outside.
But I do love that color!

I thought your under the hood picture looked like the same color?

-
Back