Making a car difficult to steal

-
A motion detector triggering a sonic ear piercing sound, then reach for the 9mm.

Not much said about car alarms. Do the pros have a way around these too?

Not much said about car alarms. Do the pros have a way around these too?
Sure do. Alarms pretty much just keep the honest folk away. Sure you can get one that pages you and you can come out and put the brakes on things, providing you can get there quick enough........

This look promising.

tesla-coil-auto-security.jpg

Still toying with ideas here. Got my dash harness out chasing some electrical gremlins so it seems like a good time to do something.

Anybody have any ideas for a remote relay of some sort? Something you could activate with a fob, or even better would sense the proximity of the fob? Kind of coming up blank on my searches.

Thought about hidden button, but seems like that depends on the guy not finding it. Kind of like something a little tougher to defeat.

I've been thinking of going with what 67Dart273 said. but using the cigarette lighter as a switch. no one would ever think to press the cigarette lighter in to start the car.

One of these and should be good to go right?
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXwW2zFWdY8"]Suburban Trunk Monkey #4: Thrown off a Bridge - YouTube[/ame]

Still toying with ideas here. Got my dash harness out chasing some electrical gremlins so it seems like a good time to do something.

Anybody have any ideas for a remote relay of some sort? Something you could activate with a fob, or even better would sense the proximity of the fob? Kind of coming up blank on my searches.

Thought about hidden button, but seems like that depends on the guy not finding it. Kind of like something a little tougher to defeat.

This thread is so old that you may have changed some of the hardware in the car. But trick stuff like this depends largely on being able to keep a quick thief from figuring things out on the basis that your car is NO LONGER FACTORY

So if you use an electric fuel pump-------break the control line to the pump relay with a small hidden switch.

Whatever you have for ignition, switching IE Mopar, or points, use a switch to ground the NEG coil lead. MSD is a different issue, but you can do a similar thing with that

Figure a way to lock down the hood

If the battery is trunk mount, that's a no brainer -- a push pull disconnect that disconnects the battery with a push, and you must open the trunk to reset the switch.

If you have wheels with holes, IE slots or spokes, you could lash a length of plastic protected chain or cable through a wheel, and around a leaf spring

NOTHING you do is going to prevent thieves with time, darkness, and a wrecker.

A now deceased friend of mine, had a 4x4 back in the 70's. He built a little decoder circuit. In order to start the truck you sent "OK" in morse code with the brake pedal. dah dah dah____dah dit dah. And of course this depended on unobtrusive wiring. A smart thief who realized he'd been had could have either ripped loose the coil wiring, clip wired the points wire to the coil, and hooked power to it and gone. So the thing depended on a thief who would or would not waste time. Of course he'd have to open the hood which was chained / padlocked shut which on the old '70 Chev was easy to do.

How about keyless start but need to have a key fob in the car to start the car with the push button. That is what is utilized in my moms 2011 Highlander and is great don't even have to have the key out of your pocket

Im sure the guys who are looking to hotwire and go carry an extra coil wire... 1st place they look Im sure.
I have a Grant steering wheel... and have been looking at their Quick Release Hubs.
Can anyone recommend one they have used... Thanks

Plumb a ball valve in the fuel system under the car. Shut it off when you go to the shady part of town for your drug deals.

I've been thinking of going with what 67Dart273 said. but using the cigarette lighter as a switch. no one would ever think to press the cigarette lighter in to start the car.

Unless they watch you do it first. :D

This thread is so old...

Yep, thread is almost a year old, but I'm still thinking about Bud getting his Demon stolen and I started this thread because of it, so I thought I would come back to it.

...you may have changed some of the hardware in the car. But trick stuff like this depends largely on being able to keep a quick thief from figuring things out on the basis that your car is NO LONGER FACTORY

So if you use an electric fuel pump-------break the control line to the pump relay with a small hidden switch.

Whatever you have for ignition, switching IE Mopar, or points, use a switch to ground the NEG coil lead. MSD is a different issue, but you can do a similar thing with that

Car is still stock, no EFI, electric fuel pump, still an AM radio. Not even a electric fan. Car is a '74 so it came stock with EI.

Thinking about something that kills the starter circuit, ignition start circuit and ignition run circuit. Don't want to give too much info though, this is the internet. :D

If you have wheels with holes, IE slots or spokes, you could lash a length of plastic protected chain or cable through a wheel, and around a leaf spring

Really like to have something that I don't have to crawl around under the car for if I go to dinner or drive up to Libby for a show or something. For that, I could just rob some key components from under the hood.

NOTHING you do is going to prevent thieves with time, darkness, and a wrecker.

Completely agree. I'm not hoping for a sure fire, full proof method, I know that if someone knows enough about these cars and can figure out what I've done, it's easy to bypass. I'm hoping for something that when he hotwires it, and it doesn't start, he spends a couple of minutes looking for the "secret button" and gives up when he can't find it. If he shows up with a wrecker, it wont matter what I do.

I did find a circuit that would use the horn or brake to enable the start circuit, and then allow the horn or brake to work after that. http://www.the12volt.com/relays/page2.asp#psk

My preference really would be a fob that either uses proximity, or a push of the button to arm the system for 90 secs as I walk up to the car. Unless someone where really observant, the car would function as if it was just an old car.

And yes, I agree, if it is obvious that you have hacked the car, it will be easy to bypass. My thoughts are for something that would be pretty much invisible once installed.

How about keyless start but need to have a key fob in the car to start the car with the push button. That is what is utilized in my moms 2011 Highlander and is great don't even have to have the key out of your pocket

I'd love to find something like that, but so far I'm pretty much coming up blank for some kind of retrofit. That's why I'm here asking if anyone know of such a thing.

On a factory wired car with no hood lock, I can have your car running in about 30 seconds with a clip lead and a quarter. And I'm old and arthritic

I'd forget about the start circuit, THINK about it

FIRST thing to do is get the hood chained shut. FIRST.

That's because NO MATTER what you do to the start circuit, if the battery is accessible and hooked up, "I" can still reach "down there" with a screwdriver, jumper across the start relay or starter and crank the engine.

If you use a Mopar ECU, I can still hook a clip lead to the coil and fire the ignition

THESE ARE the key points.

If you want to hide the ignition box under the dash, you could break the power to the box, and it might be hard/ too much time to chase down

If you ground the coil NEG (tach circuit, hint) it won't fire

Most cars today are stolen with repo tow trucks. The GPS is the best suggestion yet. but they do have interfering units that make these ineffective also. Best thing is make sure your wheel is locked all the way to one side and always keep the car with the back facing the road. This way it can not be towed from the rear because the front will be in the other lane. For long term parking chain the wheels to suspension parts so they don't turn. Also a out of level alarm with a loud siren to a separate power source.

Did any one ever sit and watch their car in a lot to see who it attracts at night. We did this to try and find who stole my freinds 68 Camaro. They never came back. car was never found.

My cars were also stolen with a tow truck years ago. One a 70 340 Swinger came home over 20 years later by mistake . A Constable stole them . He would have never been a suspect. I bought it from a tow company and he came after the car never expecting I was who he stole it from that long ago. I still held the title. Not even knowing it was my car when I bought it back for parts without a title. Never recovered the 69 R/T.

On a factory wired car with no hood lock, I can have your car running in about 30 seconds with a clip lead and a quarter. And I'm old and arthritic

I'd forget about the start circuit, THINK about it

FIRST thing to do is get the hood chained shut. FIRST.

That's because NO MATTER what you do to the start circuit, if the battery is accessible and hooked up, "I" can still reach "down there" with a screwdriver, jumper across the start relay or starter and crank the engine.

If you use a Mopar ECU, I can still hook a clip lead to the coil and fire the ignition

THESE ARE the key points.

If you want to hide the ignition box under the dash, you could break the power to the box, and it might be hard/ too much time to chase down

If you ground the coil NEG (tach circuit, hint) it won't fire

Yep, I did think about it. Started thinking about killing the starter circuit and came to exactly the conclusion you are saying. If there is power to the ignition, you can crank it with a quarter. Started thinking about killing the run circuit and realized if they twist the start circuit to the run circuit, it would start. So, settled on killing both ignition circuits and the start circuit.

But you are saying, if they power the run circuit under the hood with a jumper, it wont matter. Powering the ballast, or right to the ECU?

How about a box over the ECU and ballast so they can't power it?

What if a person could get one of those "boots" they put on illegally parked car wheels?

-
Back