Making amber turn signal lenses

-

Mopar to ya

Reaction score
Since I can't find the proper turn signal lenses for my Dart, I bought a set of Mexican repops. They suck. They don't look good, don't seal, and the color os wrong. My brother just bought a Dart and the PO couldn't find the lenses either, so he used lens tape to make them amber. I went one better. I bought a plastic lens repair kit and cut it to fit. You can still see the crazing if you look at it right, but the amber is sexy as hell.

before, during and after
View attachment Amber lens before.jpg
View attachment Amber lens material cut.jpg
View attachment Amber lens finished.jpg

My brother's Dart, which inspired me to do this.
View attachment Front view.jpg

Wow. Very neat looking. Did the lens go over the original or did you cut out the original?
Where did you get the lens material please?

Thank you!

I bought a set of the Mexican lens , worked fine for me i used fine line taped them off , and painted them argent .,And for 20 bucks no more cracks , and not a hell of alot of people get down and look that close anyway , i think mine look great.

Wow. Very neat looking. Did the lens go over the original or did you cut out the original?
Where did you get the lens material please?

Thank you!

I stuck them to the original. It is a hard, flexible material, but not that hard. It is not made to stand alone. I bought it at O'Reilly's.

how hard was it to cut the shape? I wonder if the clear plastic would look better from autozone?

The kit comes with clear, amber and red. Very easy to cut. I wanted the amber, but I practiced with the clear and made a pattern before I cut the amber.

Do one of you guys mind posting a link to the repops the OP is referncing? & Mopar, the amber lenses look great!

They do. They fit horribly, they don't seal, and they are the wrong color. If you can live with that, then expect long shipping times. Mine took six weeks. I am going to play around with paint and see if I can make the repops look like OE.

I'm sorry Mopar, for some reason I thought we were referencing the Swinger style lenses which I'm having a tough time sourcing. Anyone have a source?

Hi
trying to do the same with my lenses but they dont seem to want to budge after the screws were removed. Tried gently prying with a screwdriver but knowing how that can end I figured there's got to be a trick to it. Any helpful hints? BTW car is a 1974 Duster, here is the grill pic for your reference.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 100_5380.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 447
I bought a set of those from mexico , i had no problems just changed to the original argent color , new screws all set , the amber is not to my liking .

Hi
trying to do the same with my lenses but they dont seem to want to budge after the screws were removed. Tried gently prying with a screwdriver but knowing how that can end I figured there's got to be a trick to it. Any helpful hints? BTW car is a 1974 Duster, here is the grill pic for your reference.

Thanks in advance
Take bulb out and poke at lense with screw driver gently

Hi

Thanks in advance

The seals are probably just sort of glued in after many years of attachment. As was said, push gently, and try at an edge if you can reach. I envy you. I see the Duster lenses all the time. I can't find quality ones for my Dart Sport.

-
Back