Making My Dads Dream a Reality

-
^^^^^^^
What Rusty says about the headlights if you are driving at night.
When I've driven cross country in an A body I come off the road after dark because of the increased danger of just about everything happening in the dark.
That being said I drive at night everyday cross town for work at night in an A body.
So do that upgrade anyway.
You mentioned "extra orange box". I don't know about that.
But I gave up trying to find a reliable ECU and have installed these on more than one car with great results.
Even if you carry an extra ECU and resistor the coil needs a spare if it's old.
Check your ignition voltage at points in the circuit and be sure you have 12 volts at all points. (When starting)
I suspect it may be low with old connections.
Maybe not.
And lastly, related to that, carry some good prints in case you need them.

FBO Ignition Systems MOPAR Micro-Processor IGNITION SYSTEMS Digital Micro Processor Circuitry|EPROM Processor with|Built in DEAD STOP Algorithm REV Limiter|Eliminates Ballast Resistor|44KV Output on demand|Plug and Play|one simple wiring modification
Very interesting! I’ll have to read up on this. As of right now it is all Greek to me!

Very interesting! I’ll have to read up on this. As of right now it is all Greek to me!

It does more than make driving safer.
My headlight switch used to be warm after driving at night for an hour on the way home.
Put relays under the hood and run them right off the alternator. Now the switch doesn't carry the lighting load.
I wired up my own from scratch. But that's what I do.

I know what its like to loose a loved one. It sucks! My wife and I had planned a trip to the east coast when she retired but she passed away before it happened. I took the trip with out her like you are planning. From the suggestions you have received it looks like you won't have any trouble. Definately install a cruise control. One thing that hasn't been suggested is replacing the dash lights with LED bulbs. The dash lights on these cars are terrible. Have a great trip!

I know what its like to loose a loved one. It sucks! My wife and I had planned a trip to the east coast when she retired but she passed away before it happened. I took the trip with out her like you are planning. From the suggestions you have received it looks like you won't have any trouble. Definately install a cruise control. One thing that hasn't been suggested is replacing the dash lights with LED bulbs. The dash lights on these cars are terrible. Have a great trip!
Would those be plug and play? Does soldering need to be done? Never have taken the dash apart.

-
Back