Making my own lower radiator supports

-

Badart

Reaction score
As some of you know I have started working on another members 73 Dart Sport and I have started working on some sheet metal issues and also some work on body stiffening.
I made this lower radiator support with my tubing bender. It is intended to replace the weak factory piece or could actually be welded in directly behind if. It's 1 3/4" .095 DOM tubing. It turned out really nice and allows plenty of clearance for the 26" radiator. I also capped the front of the frame to add a little more strength. I am thinking about bending up more and selling them as a kit to members. It will include everything in the picture, but I am still working on fabricating a bracket that the latch/grille mounting bracket attaches to. The one pictured is just for mock up purposes.

It should really help stiffen up the front of our cars. What do you think? Would anybody be interested if the price is right?

Attachments

• Lower rad support.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 316
  • Lower rad support2.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 289
Let me tell you all, it looks and fits great. I am very impressed with it and am happy to have it on my car. I know it's going to stiffen that sucker up. I was looking at getting an XV one, but they are always out of stock and really don't look even close to as good ad this one does, plus theirs doesn't come with the hood latch bracket or the pieces to cap the end of the frame. I can say personally after seeing a lot of Johns work, his work is awesome!

Well I fixed the bracket that I was talking about and everything is spot on.

Attachments

• Lower rad support4.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 275
  • Lower rad support5.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 277
  • Lower rad support6.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 288
  • Lower rad support3.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 186
I'll take one if the price/shipping is cost effective. Sweet welds. Mine look like I weld with my feet.

Any plans for other bracing?

I'll take one if the price/shipping is cost effective. Sweet welds. Mine look like I weld with my feet.

Any plans for other bracing?

Thanks guys. I have started a for sale thread in the exterior parts. I know XV sells a bent piece of square tubing for $90, so this is a good deal.

That will strengthen and stiffen things up nicely, looks great.

Cliff, I can answer that for you. Currently no, but John is looking at building chassis parts for the early A's in the future. He has a sweet 65 B-cuda that I traded to him that is going to be bad ***.

Cliff, I can answer that for you. Currently no, but John is looking at building chassis parts for the early A's in the future. He has a sweet 65 B-cuda that I traded to him that is going to be bad ***.

I will keep a eye out for it.

Gonna have to make some tabs for the Demons and Darts that have lower valances.

Is there any flex up there with the K being only a few inches behind it?

I understand what you are saying, but I think that this brace will really help limit the twisting of the front of the car, where the K frame will limit the horizontal movement of the front of the car. I hope this helps.

I am also working on inner fender braces as well. :D

Gonna have to make some tabs for the Demons and Darts that have lower valances.

Yeah I'm working on that. My dart will have the same issue, but should be able to include some strap to weld them on. Thanks for pointing that out.

hey john,

just to be clear you are using a 73 dart sport for mock up in these pictures, correct?

hey john,

just to be clear you are using a 73 dart sport for mock up in these pictures, correct?

Sure did James. I have been told that the only difference, between the 67-76 A bodies is the valance tabs on the 70-72 darts. I am working on them.

-
Back