Making sure upper Control Arms are not seized.

-

hcallaway

Reaction score
I loosened the upper control nuts. I was able to spin the bolts. Camber? Moved in and out both sets both sides. Do I need to run the nuts out and try to tap the bolts? I want to paint the engine compartment before dropping the motor and transmission but I don’t want to have to heat the bolts if they are seized and ruin the engine compartment paint. Can they be seized if I can move them as much as I have with the wheels still on?

It should go to my fabrication shop late next week. For some Sheetmetal work. I have it prepped for him.
1C8AF6E8-669D-4859-836A-87DFCD54AD58.jpeg

Can't hurt to remove them. The nut should clean up the threads.

Get as much gunk rust etc off ahead of time.

The also make replacements if you break one or two or more.

I would definitely get them out and likely rebuild the front end. Looks like that hasn't been apart for a long time.

One of my cam bolts broke off when I loosened it, so just goes to show a nice freshening up was in order!

I loosened the upper control nuts. I was able to spin the bolts. Camber? Moved in and out both sets both sides. Do I need to run the nuts out and try to tap the bolts? I want to paint the engine compartment before dropping the motor and transmission but I don’t want to have to heat the bolts if they are seized and ruin the engine compartment paint. Can they be seized if I can move them as much as I have with the wheels still on?

It should go to my fabrication shop late next week. For some Sheetmetal work. I have it prepped for him.View attachment 1715967231
So, the bolts will rotate to adjust the alignment, but, they won't slide out of the bushing? Hammer and heat time! You say you want to paint the engine compartment BEFORE you pull the drivetrain? Why? The time to do it is after you remove everything.

E4A6BF9F-ED0C-4DD5-B234-FBE1F08012C5.jpeg
So, the bolts will rotate to adjust the alignment, but, they won't slide out of the bushing? Hammer and heat time! You say you want to paint the engine compartment BEFORE you pull the drivetrain? Why? The time to do it is after you remove everything.

Dropping the motor to me is installing it. Motor Transmission are out.
6C677BC8-7EED-48C4-A0E1-C3B11C63689E.jpeg

1A629852-5A1F-4766-B468-36BEE12DC2B6.jpeg
65593578-93D3-49CF-A359-2F5BF8BFAE68.jpeg
32ABDAFE-886A-40A2-9169-AF37C426C177.jpeg
C590F15E-969B-4577-865D-C9DF4BAFE22C.jpeg

Some of my other projects. I have a pretty good idea of what I am doing. This forum has a lot of knowledge I am dipping into!! Thanks for the help.

-
Back