Making the best of a bad situation

-

scott_s

Reaction score
1965 Valiant.
I'd like some thoughts and advice on my brakes, please.
When I bought the car, it came to me with some issues and some "upgrades". I took it to a local shop that specializes in vintage cars. They fixed a leaky RF wheel cylinder, replaced a cracked drum (I believe it was the LF), some shoes, and bled/adjusted the brakes.
I was informed that because someone installed a power brake booster on a non-PB pedal, the throw is long and soft. He said there are different pedal assemblies for power and manual brakes. I am told the booster looks like a Chevy part.
The brakes work, but the throw is long and, as I said, somewhat soft. It seems like when I'm in town, they are more touchy. Something to do with the vacuum, I suppose?
But, recently I've been noticing that it pulls to the right when brakes are applied, and sometimes there's a "groan" on the RF that isn't normal. I plan on jacking it up and adjusting the brakes as soon as I can get some assistance in the garage. I guess it's possible that some of the new parts have "bedded in" and need adjustment again, even though it's only been a few hundred miles.
My questions are: Is there anything I can do about the pedal? The long throw? There's a bunch of dead travel before anything happens and the pedal goes down low, even though there's no air in the system. I can see a rod/nut on the master cylinder, under the dash... can that be adjusted to help? I know I have a mish-mash of parts here, but what can I do to make the best of what I have?

brake pedal upper.jpg

brake pedal.jpg

brake upper and mc.jpg

mc rod.jpg

power mc.jpg

Basically the master cylinder and booster don't know, nor care on what make of vehicle it's installed .
The very first thing to do is check/adjust the brakes, to eliminate the obvious.
The pedal return spring is interesting, and not supposed to be there.
I would be looking to see if it's there cuz the pedal is binding at the m/c pushrod, or pivot, if not, does it just pull the pedal back creating a clearance as you suspect.
If there's a gap created between the pushrod and booster, you need to correct that with the nut you mentioned, or as nec.
The other place for a gap is between the m/c and booster.
Just cuz it's an oddity, I'd gently separate the m/c from booster to check that gap, there is often an adjustment on the booster pushrod. Use something like plastercene, or mechanics dum-dum,
dead chewing gum?, to check .
If you take the spring off under the dash, and the pedal drops, find and repair that gap, - the pedal should seem awfully high at rest as it is now.
That's just what I would do, with what you got, - but as always, safety is the utmost concern, does the emergency work ?
Good luck

Last edited:
It's been suggested that I ditch the power booster and go with a stock M/C. Any links or suggestions for the best one?

I know the booster doesn't know or care what vehicle it's on. I'm told ... right or wrong .. that the pedal assembly is wrong for a power brake system. Something about the length or leverage?

They're full of crap regarding different pedals for power and manual brakes. That's a big NO. They are the same. They probably told you that because they couldn't figure out how to get the pedal up on it. ........BUT remember, power brakes will have the pedal fall further down when the engine is running, because the booster is activated. How far down can you push the pedal without the engine running? That will give a good indication of whether the problem is hydraulic or not. That also looks like a A body booster "to me". But as inertia mentioned, as long as a booster fits, the application doesn't really matter. As for the shop you used, I'd find another one. Better yet, get a factory Chrysler service manual for your car and learn how to do it yourself. It's not difficult. At least that way, you'll know it's been DONE.

It's been suggested that I ditch the power booster and go with a stock M/C. Any links or suggestions for the best one?

I know the booster doesn't know or care what vehicle it's on. I'm told ... right or wrong .. that the pedal assembly is wrong for a power brake system. Something about the length or leverage?

No prob, was suggesting " best with what you had".
Some ppl freak at Chev etc, on Mopar, - was trying to ease any concern.
I often toss the booster, and use a 15/16 master to give best pedal and feel, normally a straight bolt on, - you may have to juggle plumbing a bit .
Adjustable pushrod from Mancini .
Cheers

Last edited:
My 64 had a bungee attached to draw the pedal clear of the stop light switch.

I adjusted the mc pushrod (it was an adjustable style) and resolved that issue. I have a GM style booster and it worked fine ( currently in engine swap mode so it's out of the car)

Prior comments are spot on. Get a Tech Service Manual and walk through the maintenance checks.

Good luck

Last edited:
They're full of crap regarding different pedals for power and manual brakes. That's a big NO. They are the same. They probably told you that because they couldn't figure out how to get the pedal up on it. ........BUT remember, power brakes will have the pedal fall further down when the engine is running, because the booster is activated. How far down can you push the pedal without the engine running? That will give a good indication of whether the problem is hydraulic or not. That also looks like a A body booster "to me". But as inertia mentioned, as long as a booster fits, the application doesn't really matter. As for the shop you used, I'd find another one. Better yet, get a factory Chrysler service manual for your car and learn how to do it yourself. It's not difficult. At least that way, you'll know it's been DONE.

Does it look like I have some adjustment available in the pushrod? I know...pics are horrible, but it's really hard to get a good shot.

I'll see how far the pedal moves without the engine running when I get home.

Does it look like I have some adjustment available in the pushrod? I know...pics are horrible, but it's really hard to get a good shot.

There isnt a good view of the rod or avail adjment.
That's a fabricated piece, so a mystery.
Gotta get in there and check it out, also make sure the pushrod can't fall out of the booster, - resulting in no brakes ! !
I often have to make a "guide" out of something to keep the pushrod where It's supposed to be, usually a washer welded to a rod, welded to pedal mounting bracket assembly.

Last edited:
As mentioned, with the engine off, take up any free play by using your hand to feel for any. You only want 1/8" of free play movement in the pedal. If you still have a low pedal, but, it's hard and the shoes adjustment is correct, there's a mismatch there somewhere. I'd be tempted to get rid of the booster and run a stock '67-up drum type master and a stock push rod. If the pedal is soft/spongy, there's still some air in the system. Of course, you could just go with a disc brake system and really improve the situation! :) On a side note, the factory setup in the '66 and older models with a single stage master cylinder, do have a return spring. Not like the one you have, but, it's a weak wound spring and rubber boot that goes around the pushrod. It's just enough of a return spring to turn the brake light switch off.

Oh, there's a ton of free play. I guess the free play can be measured in inches, and the pedal will go almost to the floor with the engine off.

I'll start with readjusting the brakes and see what happens.

Free play is different than pedal travel. Free play is just the excess slop in the push rod to booster, and booster push rod to master cylinder piston. There are lots of things that affect the pedal travel. Adjustments, hydraulics, firewall flex, master cylinder and wheel cylinder piston diameter ,etc.

Possibly. But it is a terrible angle. I know it's a beeotch to get under there.

Oh, there's a ton of free play. I guess the free play can be measured in inches, and the pedal will go almost to the floor with the engine off.

I'll start with readjusting the brakes and see what happens.
Read what @cudamark posted. Free travel is the amount the pedal will move before it ever starts to depress the pushrod. You'll likely have to pull up on the pedal to get a good feel for it. There can also be some between the booster and master cylinder if it has an adjustable rod "there". Some have adjustable rods there and some do not, they just have a solid rod. I would get the free travel out of the pedal side first. That's the adjustment you asked me about earlier.

Just a follow up, in case anyone is interested.
Took the car to a different shop and they found a ton of air in the RF wheel cylinder. He said that the proportioning valve was set all wrong and that's why the other shop couldn't get the brakes bled properly. He adjust the valve, all brakes and bled the crap out of all the wheel cylinders. I'm happy to report that I have MUCH better brakes right now, with a pedal that sits like it should, has a nice feel to it, and the brake booster actually works.

-
Back