MAN!!! I need ta' restock the lathe room, LOL

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
Sold a little Jet BD9 to a good friend of mine

Sold my old Craftsman 12 x 36 (Atlas) to the neighbor next door

so now I'm down to a 10 X ? South Bend and another old old SB for parts

a broken Logan that needs a gear

and a little bitty SIP screw lathe, I forget, Swiss? This thing is massive. Roughly 6" swing X 18, but it's "weird." Nothing about it is "standard." It is however, absolutely massive for it's size. The bed on the little girl weighs nearly as much as my SB bare bed. I cannot lift it myself

4670235088_e38be1813d_z.jpg

My old Atlas / Craftsman 12" in the neighbor's new home. I replaced the original motor with a variable speed off a treadmill, and found what is called a "production cross slide" which is MUCH heavier and more stable than original

It was originally "change gears" I added a quick change gearbox. I've got 300 bucks just in the gearbox

Attachments

• _MG_7225.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 733
  • _MG_7227.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 542
Let's see if these photos are a little sharper. There is no doubt that this website (FABO) is "doing something" to make photos more blurry

These are posted via "tinypic"

111l7xc.jpg

I see what you're talkin about with the blurriness now.

Yup. One good place to look is the gear teeth at far left

How about some pics of the Logan. I just went through an 820 for my dad. Also, looking for old old SB parts for our 1914 vintage 16x34 SB.

My kinda guy,
Some great equipment you have/had there.

Wanna see something really scary?

Think I could hold one of yours in my chuck. Ha Ha!

Attachments

• 2014-05-22 19.36.15.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 503
How about some pics of the Logan. I just went through an 820 for my dad. Also, looking for old old SB parts for our 1914 vintage 16x34 SB.

The Logan was a cheapie, needs work and is all apart. "Apart" is the only way I could get it into the basement, and THAT might be a mistake, LOL I think it's a model 200? Evidently the model they made for Wards

My kinda guy,
Some great equipment you have/had there.

Wanna see something really scary?

Think I could hold one of yours in my chuck. Ha Ha!

Holy CRAP. I don't have a perspective of size. How big IS that thing?

I wish I had a lathe, mill, and surface grinder. sometimes ill say if I had a lathe I could just turn this down a little", well, maybe some day.

Holy CRAP. I don't have a perspective of size. How big IS that thing?

Really not all that big, but big compared to yours 12" thru spindle and can hold about a 19" part in the chuck. Been doing this a long time and cut my teeth on little engine lathes like yours. Those machines are the backbone of America. Logans and South Bends. Monarchs and Clausings. My buddy is always bragging about his Jet and says they are really well built. The big ones a Mazak Powermaster.

12" spindle bore. MAN!!!

I bought the Logan on a whim, on CL for not much. It has a broken gear, it's not a quick change, and I don't think it has a full set of change gears. If I can ever find the parts for it, it would be the best of the bunch. It's not any bigger than the SB (I forget, it's either a 9 or 10" I think, but VERY heavy

On a side note, I'm contemplating "jacking up" (AKA homemade riser plates) the tail and head of my SB. The 9" parts machine is not worth much. I could mill the lower section of both the headstock and the base of the tail stock to the same level, and come up with + / - about a 12" SB. I'm thinking getting it lined up and dowel pin the risers to the existing head/ tail.

Sounds like a good idea,
I would do it, will make it a lot more versatile with a bigger swing.
If I didn't work in the baddest *** machine shop on the planet with access to everything I would have a garage full of stuff. I also worked for Summers Bros. for about 10 yrs.when I lived in So.Cal and everytime I have a rearend project I sure do wish I still worked there. Boss used to let me just work off parts I needed Spools, narrowed rears and axles. Ah, the good old days.

Glare from the light makes that hard to see, is that a huge VTL ?

Yeah, the picture is pretty bad. 20 ft. Betts vertical boring mill (20ft diameter rotary table). We upgraded all but the elevation axis and converted to CNC. The machine was originally build in the 50's.

I bought the Logan on a whim, on CL for not much. It has a broken gear, it's not a quick change, and I don't think it has a full set of change gears. If I can ever find the parts for it, it would be the best of the bunch. It's not any bigger than the SB (I forget, it's either a 9 or 10" I think, but VERY heavy

Logan Actuator www.lathe.com still supports and sells parts for these machines. Also, there is usually a fair selection of parts on eBay from machines being parted out. The Logan branded machines typically had more features than the comparable Montgomery Ward model. Specifically an apron drive clutch and power cross feed.

If yours is a 10" I can send you a scan of the original parts book.

Thanks, C130, I THINK I have a copy I downloaded. It's been awhile since I've investigated this, "other irons in the fire, LOL"

I just got the heads back for the new 360 yesterday, and am trynna finish up the trailer project, so not much time right now, for an old Logan, LOL

I have the same Craftsman Atlas lathe and had to replace the bearings a few years ago but it is the best small size lathe I have used. I use it everyday and it and wouldn't trade it for any other lathe out there.

"An actual question" for some of ya. My neighbor's kid, who bought the Atlas, has Phase II tool holders marked 250-***. These near's I can tell are BXA. So I bought a SHARS tool post on the bay, and they don't fit. Anybody? (Holders don't quite go onto the dovetail on the post)

"An actual question" for some of ya. My neighbor's kid, who bought the Atlas, has Phase II tool holders marked 250-***. These near's I can tell are BXA. So I bought a SHARS tool post on the bay, and they don't fit. Anybody? (Holders don't quite go onto the dovetail on the post)

This on the tool post? OR you referring to the whole traveling tool post assembly, and where it rests on the bed way?

Talking about the various tool holders fitting the post. I haven't even mounted the thing on the lathe yet.

Actually, I think we "have this." This is a SHARS import knock off of a Phase II BXA toolpost. 'Cept the darn thing doesn't FIT the tool holders

According to the numbers, it should. Evidently the Chinaman who hacksawed and filed it out forgot to check his work

I heard from the Ebay seller BY PHONE!!!! today. He's sending a replacement, and I'm imagining he'll have tried a tool holder on the thing, along with a return label so all I need to do is drop the defect in the mail.

Some people call these an Aloris wedge or piston post.

-
Back