Man the memories. This hurts

-

pittsburghracer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
When my 35 year old son was home I asked him about the rolling baskets full of work, dress, and casual clothes that fill them to the brim. He said Dad I have to many clothes now so get rid of them. I’m trying to set heavy coveralls and coats that are clean to give away locally. But man the racing shirts from Darrel Alterman, Halloween Classic shirts, truck pulls, bracket finals, Spring Nationals, etc. they of course are all to small and worn but the flashback memories going into the trash kinda hurt. I’m trying to clean up some so they don’t have to do it when I’m gone and have empty space in my weekly trash pickup so it only makes sense to get rid of it.

Do you have a spare room or an empty wall in your shop? Might be kinda cool to pin them up on the wall. Or if ya know someone who quilts maybe see they'd be interested in making a quilt out of them. The older I get the more I try to figure useful or unique ways to hang on to stuff I suppose.

Do you have a spare room or an empty wall in your shop? Might be kinda cool to pin them up on the wall. Or if ya know someone who quilts maybe see they'd be interested in making a quilt out of them. The older I get the more I try to figure useful or unique ways to hang on to stuff I suppose.

My place is so cluttered from being here since 1984. I still have a leather motorcycle jacket my mother bought me back around 1970. With one son in Colorado and one in Ohio I gotta clean house. I wish I had time to use other options but I don’t

I just took a box of t shirts out to the shop. There are still shirts N-I-bag from the late 90's lol. Definitely a walk down memory lane.

My place is so cluttered from being here since 1984. I still have a leather motorcycle jacket my mother bought me back around 1970. With one son in Colorado and one in Ohio I gotta clean house. I wish I had time to use other options but I don’t
I hear ya. I get pretty nostalgic about that kinda stuff.

I kept a lot of dads clothes when he passed, I plan on having a few "memory" quilts/blankets made.

bring a basket every time you go to the track next season. Leave it out with 'free".....someone else will walk down memory lane when they pick it up. "holy **** dude, my dad was at this track this year of this shirt!!"

Hell, bring em all in one shot and whatever doesn't go gets dropped at salvation army.

But I hear ya, I think we all have the mentality of "Ill wear that, or Ill use that one day".

BUT.......one of the most selfless things is to not have a bunch of stuff for the survivors to rummage through.

Tough one man.

I kept a lot of dads clothes when he passed, I plan on having a few "memory" quilts/blankets made.

My disco clothes are in barrels up in my attic. Stuff from metal shop in 7th grade and pottery classes in school. My ex took what she wanted left what she didn’t want.

When my 35 year old son was home I asked him about the rolling baskets full of work, dress, and casual clothes that fill them to the brim. He said Dad I have to many clothes now so get rid of them. I’m trying to set heavy coveralls and coats that are clean to give away locally. But man the racing shirts from Darrel Alterman, Halloween Classic shirts, truck pulls, bracket finals, Spring Nationals, etc. they of course are all to small and worn but the flashback memories going into the trash kinda hurt. I’m trying to clean up some so they don’t have to do it when I’m gone and have empty space in my weekly trash pickup so it only makes sense to get rid of it.
May be more trouble than it's worth, but how about posting a picture of the cool stuff before getting rid of it. I like to see what the older shirts and posters had on them.

That'll be cool. Keeping them with us...it's tricky finding that "something" sometimes but a very important step.

May be more trouble than it's worth, but how about posting a picture of the cool stuff before getting rid of it. I like to see what the older shirts and posters had on them.

Three big bags out already including the Alterman shirt tonight for tomorrows pickup. I could hardly push the heavy cart up my snow covered hill.

I have over a thousand Mopar magazine since the eighties I'm going to have to eventually let them go...wish they were organized and itemized

I have over a thousand Mopar magazine since the eighties I'm going to have to eventually let them go...wish they were organized and itemized

I had a few friends that I passed on my National Dragster and car magazines too. One of the few times I went to an early spring parts sell I had a box of magazines I was going to sit there and write.50 on. Some guy came by and said I’ll give you 20.00 for the whole box. SOLD. Lol

I know a girl that resells old clothes and does pretty decent. She's definitely not getting rich but it's a living. She would be all over stuff like this. Try old vintage shops. They love things with dates on them. 1970's era items are really popular right now in the vintage market. Baby boomers loved your vintage shops to have Grandma's things like wash boards and ice boxes. Now the trendy younger ones are into collecting Disco stuff, platform shoes, records, and tube tv's. I'm serious. I've been a purveyor of fine thrift stores and vintage/antique shops since '85 and the stuff that was new in '85 is in the antique shops!

This thread got me to thinking about "stuff" a person accumulates. It sure adds up if you stay in the same place for a while. When I moved into my current building I made a rule of no memoribilia, posters etc on the walls. After a while I don't notice or appreciate non functional assets. They just collect dust and eat up working hours by spurring unproductive conversations. I sold all of my never to be used again DC cable drive distributors, etc etc and I have yet to miss any of it.

I have an Ansel Adams original lithograph of Half Dome (Yosemite) hanging in my office. Nobody has ever stopped to look at it.

It trips me out to think of all the time we spent acquiring our possesions and then one days you look around and most of it doesn't matter anymore.

If it doesn't say Starrett, Snap-on or Sunnen we aren't hanging it on the wall of my shop lol.

My disco clothes are in barrels up in my attic.
i would pay five whole american dollars to see pics of you rocking some ellie platforms and plaid! keep it funky PBR!

all kidding aside, you could probably get some good money for the shirts. the quick and painless way would be to find a local vintage/consignment/kitsch shop and just roll over there with a box and take whatever they'll give ya. worst case is they stay they're not interested and you roll down the street to good will or just turn 'em into shop rags.

I know a girl that resells old clothes and does pretty decent. She's definitely not getting rich but it's a living. She would be all over stuff like this. Try old vintage shops. They love things with dates on them. 1970's era items are really popular right now in the vintage market. Baby boomers loved your vintage shops to have Grandma's things like wash boards and ice boxes. Now the trendy younger ones are into collecting Disco stuff, platform shoes, records, and tube tv's. I'm serious. I've been a purveyor of fine thrift stores and vintage/antique shops since '85 and the stuff that was new in '85 is in the antique shops!
my gal adios'd a grip of my thrashed work shirts (both t-shirt and overshirt) a friend of ours daughter bought them all to resell on her etsy store. i don't know what she sells them for but we got enough to go out for a really nice steak dinner.

Um, have you priced old concert shirts lately? They're worth HUGE dollars, worn or not. Vintage is in, and I'm going to wager some of that stuff is quite valuable.

My former mother in law made a sweet quilt for my brother in law out of his old worn out concert T's. The cool parts (the graphics) don't wear much, so even the worn out stuff is stull arts n' crafty.

This is on eBay right now.
1705301149269.png

I never heard of this guy and the shirt's worth $20.
1705301449690.png

Last edited:
Take all of those kick *** Ts and cut the main logo out of the middle and find a quilting person and have a couple of quilts made.

Thats what i am saving mine for. Lots of the shirts you can get two images from.

I bet he would want them back after you had that done.

:thumbsup:

Um, have you priced old concert shirts lately? They're worth HUGE dollars, worn or not. Vintage is in, and I'm going to wager some of that stuff is quite valuable.

My former mother in law made a sweet quilt for my brother in law out of his old worn out concert T's. The cool parts (the graphics) don't wear much, so even the worn out stuff is stull arts n' crafty.

This is on eBay right now.
View attachment 1716192436

I never heard of this guy and the shirt's worth $20.
View attachment 1716192437
Sorry I missed your post.

The last thing I would do is make a blanket out of my old work clothes lol. They are mostly made of blood, sweat, oil and misappropriated beer when they retire as shop rags for big spills lol.

My daughter does that. She bought a $3 concert t-shirt at savers and flipped it on Ebay for $275!

My daughter makes quilts out of old clothes. Sounds like your stuff would make a really cool quilt, and you could reuse some of that stuff.

-
Back