Mancini Xhd A-body Springs

-

mrdodge69

Reaction score
Anyone using Mancini's Extra heavy duty a-body leaf springs?? If so are you happy with them? I have a set from ESPO in there now & find they have sagged out prematurely. Especially if I have luggage in the trunk. Any feedback on either product would be appreciated.

How long have you had the ESPO's in there.

There was a guy a few days ago that mentioned his MP XHD springs have one side of the car tilted. I think that can be solved through front suspension adjustment. I doubt it's a spring issue, like over bent or something.

I`ve heard that J.C. Whitney has a good set of springs that are made in the U.S.. I believe companies like Mancini sell the same springs under their own brand. The two may be the same???? Like Rumblefish mentioned the MP S/S are preloaded like the old six pack cars and have an extra leaf (or similar) on the right side to compensate for engine torque. The S/S springs are designed for drag racing and function the best with that application.

I just pulled my set of SS springs outta the Altered Dart this morning. These are the 456-457's. Genuine MOPAR, but talk about sag. Three inches and still going. We drove out to Glendora Dodge, and picked up two 002's, not one 002 and one003. When we set these springs up on the first Rampage Dart, they leaned over way too much. So, I got two of the right side springs. Some years back, we ordered a set of J.C. Whitney springs, wiped down the coating to re-spray, and read "Eaton Spring" on the leaf!! Maybe they still are. If so, They have to be better then the Steel that MOPAR uses now. Bob
Mosher swears by the Tri-City Springs, but they are pricey units at $700.00 a pair. Not in my budget. . . . .

I have the Mancini XHD springs in my Barracuda. They have been in the car almost 20k miles now and I have no complaints. The ride is firm but not harsh and it did wonders for my wheel hop issues on a hard launch.

This is how the car sits with them.

NewTires007-1.jpg

I did the JC Whitney dance, the spings are not the right ones, something about the sring eyes. anyway, I had to ship them back, anyone else have this experience?

Dave- the stance on your car is GREAT! Did the Mancini springs settle at all?, or did they stay about where they were when you first did the install 20,000 miles back??

have espo's in jamie's dart and they have been fine. we really load the car when we goto calisle too.

I have the mancini xhd springs And I really like them. I really like them raised just enough for a little rake. Thanks Kevin.

Dave- the stance on your car is GREAT! Did the Mancini springs settle at all?, or did they stay about where they were when you first did the install 20,000 miles back??

They settled maybe an inch in the first few hundred miles but have been the same since.

interesting this thread started...just starting to think about springs myself...i have a slant 6 car that will be getting a 340 and i was going to either go with a brand new set of XHD springs or add a leaf to my current ones....my dad added a lead to each of his rear springs, and it really brought the ride height up, so he lowered it with blocks 2 and half inches....not to hijack this thread or anything, but would adding a leaf to the stock springs be enough for getting a good launch and losing wheels hop, or am i better off with the XHD's for the a-body?

Trial and error.

They say altering the spring packages changes how the car will launch, corner, and ride. I agree with all that.. . . To an extent. Sure, adding a leaf makes for a stiffer ride, but it may help as well with a corning car. Drag wise, a stiffer spring may help with squat off the starting line. It seems Chrysler spring do things in the opposite direction of what convential wisdom dictates, and I mean it in a caring way. Instead of leaving the starting line with the back end buried, MOPARS lift and GO!

Experimenting with Chrysler spring packs, mixing and matching, may yield some terrific results, or absolutely nothing. They spent alot of time and money in the 60's playing with all sorts of combinations. I think the problem with todays springs is a result of alloys of steel that do not match up to yesteryears. I've heard the old 'wive's tales' about how old Super Stock springs are better than a new set of springs. I"d like to test that theory, as I check Bob Moshers(wwwmoparsbymosher.com)trash dumster on a regular basis looking for old springs!=P~

- in response to RumbleFish 360 -

Some springs have one extra leaf on the drivers side so that when the car torques over it levels out the car as it goes down the track. But when they arent under big torue they make the car sit cockeyed. My dad had his 70 Duster 340 set up that way after he bought it from the factory.

I have the SS springs in the duster. They are old, as the previous owner got them from old school Direct Connection. I for get the #'s but I looked them up & they are the stiffest ones you can get for an A body. They dont seem to have sagged much if any. You can see how the car is crooked in this pic.

They are stiff & it rides like a tank.
shop001.jpg

How long have you had the ESPO's in there.

There was a guy a few days ago that mentioned his MP XHD springs have one side of the car tilted. I think that can be solved through front suspension adjustment. I doubt it's a spring issue, like over bent or something.

Found the invoice last night, The car has only been on the road 4 years from a complete Resto, with 8500 miles on it & looks like I bought them 6 years ago. When the trunk is empty it sits level. When I put a full load of luggage beer cooler etc... it is sagged right out. Next set I get from which company yet I am not sure, I will be going 1" over.

-
Back