Mandrel Bent Headpipes

-

bobscuda67

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can buy 2 1/2" mandrel bent head pipes that come off 68 340 exhaust manifolds? I know TTI makes a set but they have a big dent to clear the torsion bar on the left side. Is denting the only to get 2 1/2 pipe around the bar?

All I could ever find was the pre-bent sections from Scummit or Jig's. Roll ya own's. I finally just bought headers.

On Accurate's 2 1/4" exhaust i think they use 2" until past the torsion bar on the driver's side like the factory, unless you request 2 1/4".There is not much room on the driver's side using hi flo manifolds.
...Check with Tom at Accurate,if it can be done he can do it.

You have the starter on one side and the torsion bar on the other. The room just isn't there.

But the reality is, the dent doesn't matter because the manifold is the restriction.

Let a local shop do it. I had those same manifolds on a 416 in a 67 Dart and he did it with no problem. Came right through everything with a 2.5" pipe.

Thanks for all the advice! I have the Accurate head pipes and intermediate to the stock mufflers on the car now and they have a small diameter buy the bar and stater. I know the worst restriction is the manifolds and headers would solve all the problems as far as flow, but create other ones. I like the ground clearance and even the look of the manifolds. Plus they are already paid for. I guess I'll try someone local to bend them for me.

I'm trying to get my car to run in the mid to low 13's without using headers and keeping the stock look. I haven't ran it yet but I can tell it's not even close to that.

Thanks for all the advice! I have the Accurate head pipes and intermediate to the stock mufflers on the car now and they have a small diameter buy the bar and stater. I know the worst restriction is the manifolds and headers would solve all the problems as far as flow, but create other ones. I like the ground clearance and even the look of the manifolds. Plus they are already paid for. I guess I'll try someone local to bend them for me.

I'm trying to get my car to run in the mid to low 13's without using headers and keeping the stock look. I haven't ran it yet but I can tell it's not even close to that.

That dent will not prevent you from running low 13s at all. Your engine won't even notice it.

I have the TTI, 2.5" exhaust and 340 Manifolds. My car, exactly as you see it in this pic, wheel covers, E70-14 bias ply tires, and all, ran a 13.2 @ 105 last time I had it at the track.

And that was with a clutch that was slowly coming apart. I had to make clutch adjustments every pass just so I could shift.

DSC00056.jpg

I had a Accurate 2 1/4" system with Dyno Max Super Turbos on the GTS and just swapped out for a TTi 2 1/2" system with the X pipe with Ultra Flows this year. The TTi system was worth 2 tenths and 1 1/2mph faster over the Accurate system. Apparently, my GTS liked the big "dent"! LOL Whereas the standard/Accurate left head pipe drops down and snakes around the starter/torsion bar/steering box, the TTi left pipe shoots directly back ABOVE all that stuff and hugs the floor pan. It takes some mods (cut/section/weld kickdown arm and bracket, re-locate starter wires, re-route trans lines) but the benefits were worth the extra effort!

That dent will not prevent you from running low 13s at all. Your engine won't even notice it.

I have the TTI, 2.5" exhaust and 340 Manifolds. My car, exactly as you see it in this pic, wheel covers, E70-14 bias ply tires, and all, ran a 13.2 @ 105 last time I had it at the track.

And that was with a clutch that was slowly coming apart. I had to make clutch adjustments every pass just so I could shift.

DSC00056.jpg

Wow, I'm impressed. Your car must be built better than mine.

I had a Accurate 2 1/4" system with Dyno Max Super Turbos on the GTS and just swapped out for a TTi 2 1/2" system with the X pipe with Ultra Flows this year. The TTi system was worth 2 tenths and 1 1/2mph faster over the Accurate system. Apparently, my GTS liked the big "dent"! LOL Whereas the standard/Accurate left head pipe drops down and snakes around the starter/torsion bar/steering box, the TTi left pipe shoots directly back ABOVE all that stuff and hugs the floor pan. It takes some mods (cut/section/weld kickdown arm and bracket, re-locate starter wires, re-route trans lines) but the benefits were worth the extra effort!

I had no idea that you have to change so much to get the 2 1/2 inch pipe to fit.
I thought it was just a bolt in. It sure seemed to work out for you though.

You will never see or feel the difference between mandrel bent head pipes and head pipes bent with a traditional die and shoe bender. If you think that, you've been reading way too many magazine articles and forums. Take it to a local muffler shop with a good rep.

You will never see or feel the difference between mandrel bent head pipes and head pipes bent with a traditional die and shoe bender. If you think that, you've been reading way too many magazine articles and forums. Take it to a local muffler shop with a good rep.

wish I had taken photos of the head pipes. Here is the visible difference between tail pipes

tailpipes.jpg

so I guess here you can SEE the difference, and as I stated before, the mandrell system was worth 2 tenths ET and 1 1/2 MPH faster so I guess that's how I FELT the difference too.......

I never said it wouldn't MAKE a difference. I stand by it. I meant you'd never know the .2 was there without the clock. Getting caught up in numbers can empty an otherwise healthy pocketbook. For most guys with average street cars stuff like this is a waste of money.

And I know the difference between bends. I ran a standard die and shoe machine for a couple of years. You can achieve mandrel bends on one too. It's a little trouble. I had a few jobs I did it for. I welded a cap on one end of the pipe, filled it with sand and welded another on the other end. Comes out the same diameter all the way through the bends, for just a few minutes more work.

I never said it wouldn't MAKE a difference. I stand by it. I meant you'd never know the .2 was there without the clock. Getting caught up in numbers can empty an otherwise healthy pocketbook. For most guys with average street cars stuff like this is a waste of money.

And I know the difference between bends. I ran a standard die and shoe machine for a couple of years. You can achieve mandrel bends on one too. It's a little trouble. I had a few jobs I did it for. I welded a cap on one end of the pipe, filled it with sand and welded another on the other end. Comes out the same diameter all the way through the bends, for just a few minutes more work.

Oh I KNEW the difference without being at the track on the first drive around the block. Felt like a totally different car. The track time just verified it.

As for the sand, there are two shops around here that do a mandrel bend. One using the sand, and another with welding and piecing. Both run about $900 for a complete system here in the Detroit, MI area.

Back when I ran 340 manifolds with my original engine I had 2 1/2" TTI head pipes and they did not have any dents. My car is auto on the floor. The driver's side pipe made a sharp turn off the manifold and swept back just above the torsion bar then turned down after the starter. It fit with plenty of clearance and was a work of art. I know TTI sold a different head pipe for 4 speed cars cause it could not be routed the same as the pipe I had. Auto on the column I don't know. I have that head pipe in storage if anyone wants a picture PM me and I'll post it here.

TTI 3 inch head pipes which I ran with stock '69 340 manifolds. For the driver's side pipe to fit I had to narrow down the kick down linkage rod and lever at the trans pivot as described in the TTI header installation instructions which you can find on their web site:

Attachments

• 100_2954.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 312
  • 100_2953.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 320
  • 100_2952.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 298
  • 100_2951.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 298
Thanks for the pictures. They don't look to hard to duplicate. I was wondering if you needed to install a angled oil filter adapter on the left side?

Some more pics

Attachments

• 100_2955.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 244
  • 100_2956.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 238
  • 100_2957.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 243
  • 100_2961.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 257
-
Back