Manual front Disc Brakes?

-

coalman

Reaction score
Does anyone have issues when backing the car up with 10" drums, the car does not stop well???? Thanks

I have A body spindles on my B body..all manual..no issues..how fast you backing up ?

Back drums adjusted ?
Yes, I had to install a new parking brake setup from front to back, no cables. I adjusted the brake shoes at that time. I can go back and check, but I have plenty of brake pedal. Thanks for the interest.....

How fresh is your system,(new wheel cyls.,bled/fresh fluid recently,etc.)? Make sure none of the wheel cyl. pistons have frozen-up on you, good pedal but no apply. I'm dealing
with actually clogged lines right now on my GT 'vert, the master leaked out the back, I just filled it to move it. Always had a pedal, stopped marginal tho', now I'm redoing the stk.
system temp., only one Rr. piston was moving & after bolting in the master wouldn't bleed. The bottom of the old res. looked like a dry lake bed, and muck is in the lines. I've
managed to clear some, but will just change the line to the rears vs. playing around, no flow at all.

Reminds me of our 73 Valiant. Factory power front disc and 10 inch rear drums. For all the years we owned/drove her there seemed to be less braking or longer stopping distance in reverse. Required more pedal effort. I never questioned why, just considered it "nature of the beast". We never backed into anything.

Poorer braking in reverse is totally normal with the rear drum brakes. The drum brake design (developed by Bendix originally) has what is called a 'servo action' whereby the drag of the primary shoe on the drum when activated adds force to the secondary shoe, increasing braking torque. This servo action and the better braking happens when going in the forward direction, but not in the reverse direction. So any drum brakes, front and/or rear, will have the characteristic of less braking torque (effectiveness) in reverse.

Disc brakes do not care if they are going forward or reverse; the same brake torque is generated in both directions. With a disc front/drum rear setup, there should not be all that much lower reverse braking as compared to front braking; the fronts wil do the same work either way, and they should be doing about 70% of the braking. If there is a lot less in reverse vs. going forward, then I would first suspect the front brakes are not doing what they should, and possibly there are some issues with the rears.

OP: Can you give more info on the whole system?

Thanks to all, I will look at everything, the easiest first of course....

Quick update on the 'vert's rear blockage, was able to clear line to rear, the hose was screwed. Either the milky/muddy muck dried in there, or the liner collapsed, or both.

New problem my SSBC Master Cylinder leaking through bore....

-
Back