manual front drum to KH disc swap

-
Apparently cast steel you can weld ?????... which you probably could .. BUT .. the heat applied to the hub ... ... would you trust it with a 520+ motor ? i wouldn't...

Apparently cast steel you can weld ?????... which you probably could .. BUT .. the heat applied to the hub ... ... would you trust it with a 520+ motor ? i wouldn't...

Actually, I was asking caferacerx what types of repairs he had in mind.
That is why my question was phrased the way it was; might leaving it open and quotes on 'junk' emphasizing that it was understood that he was having to make an assumption on the type of damage. There are all sorts of reasons why a person might consider a hub 'junk'.

FWIW: I believe the hubs are cast iron, same as the rotors, not steel forgings. Cast Iron can be welded if heated and cooled very slowly - an oven is usually used. You are right to be concerned about structural repair of a hub by welding or brazing. However the stresses would not be due to the engine's power other than in a very secondary way.

Actually, I was asking caferacerx what types of repairs he had in mind.
That is why my question was phrased the way it was; might leaving it open and quotes on 'junk' emphasizing that it was understood that he was having to make an assumption on the type of damage. There are all sorts of reasons why a person might consider a hub 'junk'.

FWIW: I believe the hubs are cast iron, same as the rotors, not steel forgings. Cast Iron can be welded if heated and cooled very slowly - an oven is usually used. You are right to be concerned about structural repair of a hub by welding or brazing. However the stresses would not be due to the engine's power other than in a very secondary way.

If you read the entire thread you would easily have found what the problem was that he said could be fixed.

I have a car trailer right now that all the heads are welded in the back side of one hub because of someone stripped out the stud holes with an impact. It has over 5K trouble free miles on it with some heavy loads.

OK. I must be dense. First mention I saw in this thread of a bad hub was the post where rrvolare "gives his life story".

Problem was solved awhile back .. no need to drag this on ... i bought a NOS rotor... Money you say ... who cares ...

Problem was solved awhile back .. no need to drag this on ... i bought a NOS rotor... Money you say ... who cares ...

You said you bought a single new rotor from RamMan....

JUST dealt with RAM MAN .... NICE gentleman .. VERY knowledgeable ... that is the guy i just talked to ... I hat to say this ,,, he gave me info i needed withing 10 min conversation ... i ordered a factory replacement front hubless rotor and master cyl from him ... You get what you pay for ..

I am not here to argue with you VINNIE ,,,BUT again like i said ... i bought 1 hubless rotor at the price of 90 dollars .. not 300... and if i did spend 300 dollars on 2 rotors its not about kissing *** ?????
Just trying to help guys during drum to disc conversion ... and to try and get the best pedal with the least amount of effort .. and still try and maintain close to stock look ...

1 more time .... i bought 1 hubless rotor from ramman to replace the hubless rotor i got from DART540 that was rubbing caliper = 1 problem solved .
I bought 1 NOS complete rotor/hub from TONY parts to replace hub with bad stud hole = 2nd problem solved ..
Fronts done ...
Do you get it now ? or do i need to further describe ....

1 more time .... i bought 1 hubless rotor from ramman to replace the hubless rotor i got from DART540 that was rubbing caliper = 1 problem solved .
I bought 1 NOS complete rotor/hub from TONY parts to replace hub with bad stud hole = 2nd problem solved ..
Fronts done ...
Do you get it now ? or do i need to further describe ....

Now go get your shine box Tommy!

Just kidding!

-
Back