Manual Steering Box Seals

-

bmxican

Mopar Aficionado
Reaction score
So I finally have been able to get back to work on my Barracuda and I'd like to replace the seals in my manual steering box.

I have searched around and I haven't been able to identify whether it's a big or small sector shaft box, but I do have this information:

- It's a 1967 manual box, casting # 2537850.
- The worm shaft seal is 1.034" O.D. x 0.750" I.D.. x 0.315" wide and I found it at Napa as NOS 7412.
- The sector shaft seal is 1.597" O.D. x 1.118" I.D. x 0.315" wide. I am having a hard time finding this seal in particular.

Also, a have read multiple things as far as a lubricant for the box.

In was planning on using an NGL1 high temperature multi-purpose red grease, would that be a good replacement for the factory grease?

Thanks for the help FABO! :D

You should call up firmfeel. I just ordered a set today. They said that they are waiting for the upper or worm shaft seals but should be sent out some time this week.

I got both seals at napa I have the part# on my desk if you need them let me know.

scamp 408, Yes, I could use the NAPA part number. I hope to refurb my 64 manual box while the linkage is off. I expect the lower seal on the output shaft is the same as for power boxes since the shaft must be the same diameter (same Pitman arm).

7412 and 11067 the power steerin is diff I also got the bearings from a bearing place .

7412 and 11067 the power steerin is diff I also got the bearings from a bearing place .

Thanks so much, now I can finish my box hopefully! :cheers:
Quick questions, as far as a lubricant, just use NGLI grease?

I havent filled mine yet but I lubed up the bearings with moble 1 grease prob overkill . I also used the 20-1 worm gear.

I've had a hard time finding the sector shaft/pitman seal at any local store.
Guess I'm going to have to order it from Rock Auto...

I found this detailed link:
www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/steering/3.html
For B-bodies, but should be the same "small shaft" gear box.

Rockauto incorrectly lists the National 6859S for the sector shaft seal, which is for later "large shaft" gear boxes, and they list it for 73+ cars as well. That seal is for a shaft of 1.247"D and housing bore of 1.687"D. The "small shaft" gear has shaft of 1.125"D and housing bore of 1.560"D (A bodies pre-1973). I expect manual boxes are the same. The NAPA 11067 seal that scamp 408 (and link above) give is 1.565" OD (no ID) and is listed for both power and manual boxes.

Rock agrees with everyone (NAPA, Autozone) that National 7214 works for the worm shaft seal. They also list the SKF 7412 seal with identical dimensions. Rock and NAPA also list SKF 6141, but with a much smaller 0.625" shaft diameter. Could be a dimension for uncompressed rubber, but may also not work.

Much detective work required. I'll visit NAPA since I have trouble ordering on their website. I found the National 7214 and CR 11067 seals listed on Amazon, but shipping adds too much.

I just searched for 11067 on Rock Auto.
It came up as a transmission input shaft seal, but the dimensions given matched so I took the gamble and purchased it along with the worm gear shaft seal, 7412. I'll report back if they both work. Should have them by Tuesday.

Those 2 part#s I listed is what I used for mine . I also ordered the p/s one and its diff.You can still get them from napa I ordered 2 sets so I can rebuild my other box. I will tell you even with my discount they were almost the same from Firm Feel.

Sorry for the tardy reply, been a bit busy...

So I ended up using a SKF 7412 for the worm gear shaft and a SKF 11067 for the sector shaft seal (pitman arm shaft seal).

I knew the SKF 7412 would be perfect for the worm gear shaft, but I had my doubts with the other seal.

The SKF 11067 seal was listed as a GM Input Shaft seal when I received search results on Rock Auto, but the specs matched up almost identical to the seal I was looking for, except for it was slightly shorter in height (aprox. 0.125" difference). Fit was dead on all other measurements. I just mounted the seal level with the top of the case with a 1" impact socket.

I spent $18.19 shipped on seals from Rock Auto.
I tried getting it locally from O'Reilly but it was like $15 for one seal because it was special order.

I ended it up packing the box with high temperature grease (bright red stuff). Used about 14 to 16 oz. Used High Temp RTV for a case Gasket. Painted it high temp cast iron colored Duplicolor engine paint to finish it off.

Now I have a 20:1 ratio, yay! 4 1/2 turns, side to side.
Thanks for all the help!

On to the next item on the list hopefully! :cheers:

IMG_0369.jpg

IMG_0370.jpg

IMG_0374.jpg

IMG_0376.jpg

I bought my 20:1 worm gear from a member on SL6.org for a heck of a deal but Firm Feel sells them.

The seals I mentioned are for a "small sector shaft" box, I believe '72 and older.
The worm gear seal I believe is the same for all years, but the sector shaft gets bigger after '72, so it requires a different seal.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

You are correct on years and that the worm doesn't change. For my sector shaft seal, I used one from a power gear rebuild kit I had. Same seal, but you don't use the outer "dust seal". The worm shaft seal is different on manual and power gears. I ordered from rockauto, plus extras and sector seals for the future, since rock hits hard on shipping.

Lucky I have a Dodge dealer right next to my work. Couldn't order the sector gasket, so I'll also use sealant. Only 4 places in the country showed the ball bearing. I got one for $10 w/ shipping. Others wanted $16 so no go. I bet I could find the bearing elsewhere since probably used in bicycles and such. Mine are OK, I just thought to try.

-
Back