Manual steering box swap issues

-

gagembassett

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So it's the first time I've swapped steering boxes, but my 75 Duster had power steering from the factory which was shot, I decided to swap it out with a manual steering box a guy gave me that originally on his 72 Duster. The swap itself went perfectly fine but when I went to roll the car onto my trailer... no steering. I ultimately found out the splines aren't engaging from the steering box to the pitman arm. Are the pitman arms different from 72 to 75? Any ideas or help?

20230319_145808.jpg

Yep, the 73+ power steering boxes used a larger sector than the 67-72 power steering boxes. And all the A/B/E body manual steering boxes use the small sector shaft.

You need a small sector pitman arm.

Were you able to use the stock steering column? I'm thinking about doing the same swap on my 73 Duster.

Thanks,
Bill

Were you able to use the stock steering column? I'm thinking about doing the same swap on my 73 Duster.

Thanks,
Bill
They’re basically the same, but one big difference. The steering shafts are different lengths. You’ll need to swap out the shaft with a one from a manual column. Very easy to do.

They’re basically the same, but one big difference. The steering shafts are different lengths. You’ll need to swap out the shaft with a one from a manual column. Very easy to do.
Sounds like the hardest part will be to find a shaft…. lol

Sounds like the hardest part will be to find a shaft…. lol
There’s a manufacturer called Norm’s speed shop that reproduces them… They’re $350 though. I’d place a wanted add if I were you. I bet you can find someone doing the opposite swap and you can do a straight up trade.

Just to be clear.... are all manual steering gearbox's small sector shaft? Do I get a 73 and up pitman arm for manual steering or 67-72 pitman arm?

This may help, cheers

62-76 A-bodies, 62-72 B-bodies, and 70-74 E-bodies all used the same manual box. Most of these boxes used bushings throughout, however, the B-body V-8 units were built for more abuse and used bearings internally instead of the bushings. All manual boxes used a small sector shaft with the exception of C-bodies and vans to 1988. The big cars and vans used a large sector, presumably for added strength. It's also assumed these boxes used bearings instead of bushings.

Last edited:
Just to be clear.... are all manual steering gearbox's small sector shaft? Do I get a 73 and up pitman arm for manual steering or 67-72 pitman arm?

@inertia has the info there, all the manual boxes for these cars were smal sector. The pitman arm needs to match your center link, so if your ‘73 has its original center link you’ll need a ‘73+ pitman

-
Back