Manual Steering Gearbox Replacement - 72 Duster

-

Divenut

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Continuing to dig into my project (72 Duster 340) and determined that my manual steering gear box is shot (gears are worn, seals leak etc) and needs to be replaced. Before diving into it, I thought I would solicit any input/tips/suggestions for those of you that may have already done it. From the looks of it, it is going to be real fun getting the old one out :banghead:

Thanks in advance for any advice you may share.

Pat

You probably know that if you want to convert to power steering, you can probably swap your manual box for a complete setup for free since racers desire the manual steering (for header clearance). However, that is a big job and requires changing the steering column.

Removing a manual steering gear isn't hard, since it is smaller and weighs much less than a power gear. The main tool you need is a "Pitman arm puller". They come in 2 sizes and you need the larger one. Usually <$10 at Harbor Freight or maybe $20 at other stores. Otherwise, you just need a 1/2" socket set w/ breaker bar for the 3 mounting bolts. You need to drive the roll pin out of the coupler from the steering shaft, but usually comes out easy. You will probably need your steering linkage in the correct location to drop the gear out (do for manual), so support the car by the frame with the front wheels hanging so you can turn them.

caferacerx - Thanks for the quick reply & links.

BillGrissom - Thanks for the helpful information. I plan on keeping the manual steering, as over time my daughters and I plan to set the car up for some 1/4 mile action. And I appreciate the tip on the large puller. Will be adding it to my "grocery" list.

Regards,
Pat

As Bill mentioned, you should be able to wrangle it out the bottom, but if not, just pull the LH exhaust manifold and it will be real easy. To help removal clearence, I pull the column loose and move it rearward to get the coupler and shaft out of the way.

Oh, I just saw your info that states you have headers.......all bets are off on how easy it will be to remove......

As Bill mentioned, you should be able to wrangle it out the bottom, but if not, just pull the LH exhaust manifold and it will be real easy. To help removal clearence, I pull the column loose and move it rearward to get the coupler and shaft out of the way.

Oh, I just saw your info that states you have headers.......all bets are off on how easy it will be to remove......

Thanks for the column tip cudamark. I am thinking every little bit of clearance is gonna help. Really hoping I can get the steering box off without pulling the header (not likely)...the bolts on that mother look like they are rusted solid. Gonna start soaking them with penetrating oil just in case.

Pat

If it really gives you a fit, unload and remove the torsion bars and take the four bolts out of the K member and lower it with a floor jack.

Sorry, I mis-read your title. I thought you meant you wanted to replace your manual with power steering. You just want to remove the gear to rebuild. You will be surprised by the cost of a rebuild on places like www.rockauto.com. Parts for manual steering must be getting hard to find.

If it really gives you a fit, unload and remove the torsion bars and take the four bolts out of the K member and lower it with a floor jack.

Thanks for the tip StrokerScamp. I was planning to clean up the motor & engine bay, i.e., change gaskets/seals, paint etc. So, I may end up just waiting until I pull the motor to change the steering gearbox. Finding my project timeline is a bit fluid LOL!

Pat

i used the power steering column in my duster i just welded an extension on and its been on there now for 15 years

-
Back