Manual steering pitman

-

ralphie361

Reaction score
My question is there a pitman arm to use with an up to 72 manual steering box with the 73 up center link? I was going to use power steering and have new 73 tie rods, center, pitman and idler, but I changed plans and am going to 5.7 hemi and have to go manual. The ideal plan would be to get a 73 up manual box, but they seem to be harder to find. I also have my original 69 center link, and could buy a new pitman and idler to match. Any ideas?

I don't think they make a conversion pitman arm for that setup but you might want to check the steering gear companies on that. I think you're going to have to either use the later box or the earlier linkage. Clearence for the engine might be the determining factor in making a choice between the two.

Ahh I see, I was getting power and manual boxes confused. They changed power boxes but not manual. Thanks guys, I appreciate it!

Ahh I see, I was getting power and manual boxes confused. They changed power boxes but not manual. Thanks guys, I appreciate it!
Between '72 and '73 they changed the pitman shaft diameter on both the manual and power boxes.

Sorry guys I havent been on here in a while, I havent worked on the car in a while either :banghead: I haven't ordered the pitman yet, so I don't know if it works, I was able to find an older manual box at the junk yard, but I have to take it to work to use the torch, as the old pitman won't come off with the puller alone. Sorry, I will keep you posted!

-
Back